What type of cook are you?
Are you someone who only needs a few ingredients to throw something together or are you a spice master with ingredient lists that go down half a page?
Me? I can go either way. Some nights all I need are some fresh tomatoes, onions, garlic, pasta and dinner is set.
Other nights, all 4 burners and the oven is going!
Our #SundaySupper theme for this week is dishes in 5 ingredients or less hosted by Amber over at Mama’s Blissful Bites. We had three freebie ingredients ( or 4 I can’t remember if a fat was included!) water, salt and pepper.
I went with my mint ice cream mostly because it was already done and I hadn’t had a chance to write it up yet. I kind of feel like dessert is a bit of a 5 ingredient cop-out but hey – I make french-style ice cream, there are eggs involved! This is fancy, plenty of fresh mint gives the ice cream a real earthy flavor. This is cream is not green, and if you’ve never had fresh mint ice cream I ask you to please give it a try – the taste is unlike any mint ice cream you have ever had.
Oh and those mint M&M’s thrown in? Yeah, I spotted them Duane Reade and I just had to pick up a bag to add a little crunch and a little extra minty freshness. Plus I have a weakness for mint chocolate chip ice cream. Best of both worlds!!
|Fresh Mint Ice Cream with Mint M&M’s||
- 3 cups fresh mint, packed
- 3 cups half and half, divided
- ¾ cup granulated white sugar
- pinch of salt
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 cup mint M&M’s crushed
- In a medium pot over medium heat whisk together 1½ cups half and half, the granulated sugar and salt.
- Cook until the sugar is dissolved and the half and half just begins to simmer – do not boil.
- Stir in the mint, remove from the heat and cover. Steep for 30-45 minutes. Strain the infused half and half into a bowl and discard the mint. Add the half and half back into the pot and bring back to a gentle simmer.
- In a small bowl whisk together the egg yolks and set aside. While whisking, slowly pour in a little of the re-heated half and half.
- Turn the heat to low and slowly drizzle the egg yolks in, constantly whisking and scraping the bottom of the pot. As you drizzle the egg yolks, you will see the custard start to thicken.
- Cook for an additional 30 seconds to 1 minute – to test the thickness of the custard, dip a wooden spoon in and run your finger down the back. The line should stay put.
- Place the remaining half and half in a medium bowl with a strainer on top over an ice bath. Pour in the custard in and let cool completely.
- Churn in your ice cream maker for 20-25 or according to the package directions.
- Once finished churning, scoop the ice cream into an air tight container and add the crushed M&M’s every few spoonfuls for even distribution. Freeze 3-4 hours prior to serving.
For more recipes using 5 ingredients or less, check out what the rest of the #SundaySupper crew has come up with this week!
Breakfast, Starters, Butters and Jams:
- Pa Jun or Korean Scallion Pancakes – Kimchi Mom
- Homemade Instant Oatmeal – Home Cooking Memories
- GlutenFree Apricot Bacon Onion and Cheese Spread or Dip – Cooking Underwriter
- Caprese Bites – My Catholic Kitchen
- So Simple Pizza Puffs – Hip Foodie Mom
- Toast Topper #11: Allspice Peach Butter – What Smells So Good?
- Strawberry Balsamic Jam – The Messy Baker Blog
- Fresh Basil and Tomato Pasta – I Run For Wine
- Gulasch – Galactosemia in PDX
- Spaghetti with Kale and Sausage – Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Appley Kielbasa – The Meltaways
- Shrimp Stuffed Potatoes – Juanita’s Cocina
- Hawaiian Chicken Sandwiches – Supper for a Steal
- Sun Dried Tomato and Sausage Pasta – Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Pork Loin with Port Shallot Sauce – Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Chipotle Honey Lime Pork Tenderloin – Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Crockpot Chicken Tacos – The Hand That Rocks The Ladle
- Roasted Shrimp With Chili-Lime Sauce – Magnolia Days
- Peanut Butter Noodles – In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Soy, Orange Juice and Red Wine Marinated Flank – That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Beef Tenderloin with Stilton Pecan Butter – Noshing With The Nolands
- Herbed Butter Pork Chops – Brie’s Bites
- Creamy Ham Linguine – The Daily Dish Recipes
- Pesto, Tomato & Feta Pizza – Momma’s Meals
- Quick Black Bean Burritos – Diabetic Foodie
- Lumachine with Fresh Parmesan and Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce – Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Stuffed Shells – Cravings of a Lunatic
- Potato Kugel – From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Garlic Butter Fried Rice – My Trials in the Kitchen
- Goat Cheese Alfredo – Family Foodie
- Roasted Moroccan Rack of Lamb – Maroc Mama
- Sweet and Nutty Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes – Mama.Mommy.Mom.
- Baked Sweet Potato with Maple-Jalapeno – Comfy Cuisine
- Freezable Bacon Egg and Cheese Sandwiches – Big Bear’s Wife
- Grilled Polenta Cakes – Lovely Pantry
- Nutella Ice Cream – Shockingly Delicious
- Fresh Mint Ice Cream with Mint M&M’s – The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Grilled Mango Parfait with Greek Yogurt & Silvered Almonds – Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Honey Macaroons – Pippis In the Kitchen Again
- Strawberry Frozen Yogurt – Damn Delicious
- Homemade Caramel Sauce – Chocolate Moosey
- Easy Chocolate Chilli Fudge – Soni’s Food for Thought
- White-Chocolate Raspberry Puff Pastry Doughnuts – The Weekend Gourmet
- Easy No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars – In The Kitchen With KP
- Broccoli and Feta Frittata – Kwistin’s Favorites
- Chocolate-Caramel Ice Cream – Basic N Delicious
- Pumpkin and Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake – Baker Street
- Peanut Butter Cup Popcorn – Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Five Most Food Friendly Wines – ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Please be sure you join us on Twitter throughout the day during #SundaySupper. We’ll be meeting up at 7:00 pm(Eastern) for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat where we’ll talk about our favorite 5 Ingredient Recipes! All you have to do is follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, or you can follow us through TweetChat! We’d also love to feature your apple recipes on our #SundaySupper Pinterest board and share them with all of our followers!