Did you ever get in the kitchen and cook with your mom or dad as a kid? I used to hang around the kitchen, but as soon as my mom would break out the butter, sugar, flour and eggs I would appear right by her side. Some things really never change, as much as I love cooking savory food, desserts are still my favorite thing to make.
Today #SundaySupper along with American Family Insurance is taking a trip down memory lane and cooking up some of our favorite childhood meals. American Family Insurance is also hosting a fun sweepstakes to share your favorite recipe, keep on reading after the recipe for more information.
Coming up with a favorite family recipe provide to be more than a challenge than I expected it to be! I decided the best time to question my mom was at Rosh Hashanah dinner last week, the entire family would be gathered together and someone was bound to come up with something good. My mom is a wonderful cook, she went through phases of trying out different cuisines, but also had her staples that we lovingly enjoyed. Here is the thing about her recipes, they are brown. Chicken marsala, skirt steak, marinaded flank steak, meatballs, meatloaf, all delicious but brown! I joked with my family that they should have prepared for a future food blogger in the family and cooked more colorful meals.
So instead we turned to desserts, this was an area that I at least stepped in and helped out with. I lovingly made – and ate – chocolate chip cookies with my mom and her cheesecake is practically famous but it still wasn’t clicking with me. Then one brother hit the mark, moms coffee cake, filled with chocolate, walnuts, cinnamon and sugar and topped with more walnuts and sugar. Can you smell the cake now? Are you imagining the moist and tender crumb? There is no better coffee cake than this one and we hadn’t enjoyed it in years. The reason why? Mom misplaced the recipe! We recalled as much as could and I’m happy to say I think I came up with a pretty good replica.
I only wish my mom didn’t fly back down to Florida and we were able to experiment together. Baking is the best and most fun way to introduce your youngest family members into the kitchen. All the mixing and the the promise of a batter covered spoon to lick will make anyone excited to get their hands dirty.
As I mentioned above American Family Insurance is sponsoring a fun sweepstakes to share your recipe for the next 6 weeks. There will be a weekly prize of a $100 Williams-Sonoma gift card, plus a grand prize of $500 Williams-Sonoma gift card. For details visit: https://contests.amfam.com/familydinnertable/
Speaking of great recipes, make sure you check out what the rest of the #SundaySuper family is sharing today!
- Asian Short Rib Tacos with Pineapple & Crunchy Slaw by Foxes Loves Lemons
- Barbecue Chicken Pizza by In The Kitchen With KP
- Beef & Potato Skillet Supper by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Braised Pork Chops and Sauerkraut by kimchi MOM
- Chicken a la King by Juanita’s Cocina
- Chicken and Dumplings by Country Girl In The Village
- Chicken Crescent Squares by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Family Fave Lasagne by NinjaBaking.com
- Gluten Free Peppered Steak by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Greek Meatballs (Soutzoukakia) by Supper For A Steal
- Green Chile Chicken Tortilla Casserole by girlichef
- Hungarian Goulash by The Foodie Army Wife
- Linguine with fresh Tomatoes and Basil by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Meatloaf by Magnolia Days
- Peixe Asado no Forno | Fish Baked in the Oven by Family Foodie
- Pierogies by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Sour Cream Coffee Cake by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Straw and Hay Pasta by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Swiss Steak by Curious Cuisiniere
- Veggie Mac and Cheese by Hip Foodie Mom
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here ? Sunday Supper MovementDisclosure: This post is sponsored by American Family Insurance. All opinions are my own.