It was an exciting day back in March when I opened up my twitter mentions to see a retweet of my most recent #SundaySupper recipes. One of my all-time favorite chefs, someone who I grew up watching on TV; a person besides my family that taught me to cook, liked something that I made.
— Sara Moulton (@saramoulton) March 18, 2013
Fast forward to now, two weeks from today I’m going to meet one of my cooking heros at the Food and Wine Conference. I just hope I’m not a bumbling fool in front of her and I can actually manage to come up with some decent questions to ask during her roundtable discussion.
Today’s #SundaySupper we are inspired by Sara Moulton. I’m not the only blogger here who spent hours watching her on Food Network or remember her days at Gourmet (oh I how I miss that magazine)! Sara’s publisher was kind enough to send #SundaySupper contributors a copy of her cookbook Everyday Family Dinners. Let me tell you, this is a stunning book. It is full of recipes more delicious than the next. Lucky for you, I have a copy to giveaway. Keep on reading for how to enter.
I barely got through the third chapter when I had already made up my mind on what to make. I knew if I continued to read on a decision would never be made. Sara’s recipe for Manchego-Stuffed Figs Wrapped in Bacon (pg. 61) was the perfect sounding appetizer to me – and I felt like it would convert over to a flatbread perfectly as a main dish.
The nutty cheese flavor pairs perfectly with the sweetness of the dates and the salt of the bacon. It’s a combination that is hard to say no to.
- ½ cup warm water, divided
- ½ tablespoon sugar
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Extra olive oil for brushing the flatbread
- ¼lb Manchego cheese, shredded
- 6 dried Calimyma figs (or golden figs), quartered
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
- In a small bowl pour ¼ cup warm water and sprinkle the yeast on top. Let sit for 5 minutes until foamy.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment, mix together the flour, salt and remaining warm water. Add the yeast mixture and mix on medium speed until the dough comes together.
- With the mixer running, drizzle in the two tablespoons of olive oil. If the dough seems a little dry, add more water 1 tablespoon at a time. The dough will pull away from the sides and knead for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from the bowl and generously oil. Place the dough back in, cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm, draft free space for an hour or until doubled in size.
- Punch the dough down, knead in the bowl and let rise for another 45 minutes.
- Heat your oven to 450 degrees. If using a pizza stone, heat for at least 30 minutes prior to using. If using a baking sheet, heat for 10 minutes prior to use and sprinkle with cornmeal to keep from sticking.
- Divide the dough in half and on a lightly floured surface roll or stretch into an oval.
- Brush the dough with olive oil and carefully place on top of the hot pizza stone.
- Bake for 15-18 or until the dough is golden brown and crisp.
- Remove from oven and place an even amount of bacon and figs on each flatbread, finishing with the Manchego cheese.
- Place back in the oven to back for about 5 minutes or until the cheese is completely melted.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Flatbread adapted from Epicurious
Giveaway details: One (1) copy of Everyday Family Dinners by Sara Moulton. It is open to U.S. Residents Only and will run from Sunday, July 7, 2013 to Friday, July 12, 2013 at 11:59 EST. I will announce one (1) random winner on Saturday, July 13th. Please be sure to include a way for me to contact you via email when entering. Winner has 48 hours to respond, otherwise their prize is forfeited and I will choose another winner.
How to Enter:
- Required Entry 1: Leave a comment with your favorite Sara Moulton recipe.
Additional Entries (not required, but will give you more chances to win) please leave a comment after completing each task.
- Join me tonight, July 7th during the #SundaySupper chat between 7pm-8pm EST and tweet to me at @littleredkitchn “I’d like to win at copy of Everyday Family Meals”.
- Like The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen on Facebook
- Follow The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen on Pinterest
Good luck to everyone who enters!
Be sure to check out the rest of these great inspired by Sara Moulton recipes!
Breakfast for Dinner:
- Open-faced Zucchini Omelet with Red Bell Pepper and Feta by Granny’s Down Home Sassy Southern Cooking
- Chocolate French Toast with Fresh Strawberry Sauce by Daily Dish Recipes
- Polenta Lasagne by Blueberries and Blessings
- Spicy Korean Cheesesteak by Kimchi MOM
- Chorizo Mushroom Bites by La Cocina de Leslie
- Roasted Ratatouille Crêpes with Goat Cheese by Healthy.Delicious.
- Grilled Chicken and Veggie Pizza by Runner’s Tales
- Clay Pot Vegetable Stew by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Grilled Reuben Pizza by Juanita’s Cocina
- Vegetarian Greek Stuffed Zucchini by The Messy Baker Blog
- Manchego, Fig and Bacon Flatbreads by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Kimchi Fried Rice by girlichef
- Gluten Free Mozzarella Pesto Pizza by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Peppery Broccoli with Feta Cheese and Angel Hair Pasta by Hip Foodie Mom
- Chicken Artichoke Piccata by Sustainable Dad
- Reuben Tortilla Pinwheels by Home Cooking Memories
- Deli Style Turkey Reuben Pizza by In The Kitchen with KP
- Grilled Mahi Mahi with Garlic Caper Sauce by Family Foodie
Spectacular Sides and Salads:
- Curried Peas and Black Beans by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chopped Salad with Feta, Chickpeas, and Pita Croutons by Supper for a Steal
- A Summer Salad from Paris by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Caprese Salad with Avocado by Ruffles & Truffles
Don’t Skip Desserts and Drinks:
- Three-Ingredient Pluot Crisp by Shockingly Delicious
- Stuffed Strawberry Dessert by Growing Up Gabel
- Vegan Chocolate Peanut-Butter No Bake Cookies by Killer Bunnies
- Warm Chocolate Cheesecake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Turkish Pistachio and Apricot Bread by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Sparkling Watermelon Lemonade by The Urban Mrs.
- Blueberry Crepes by Basic N Delicious
- Nectarine Upside-Down Cake by Magnolia Days
- Cannoli Strawberries by Foxes Love Lemons
- Gluten-Free Carrot Cupcakes by Ninja Baking
- Watermelon Basil Lemonade by Curious Cuisiniere
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here ? Sunday Supper Movement.