Isn’t it amazing how satisfying a simple sandwich for dinner can be? Fresh tomatoes, lettuce, toasty bread, protein and of course bacon. We’ve been really into sandwiches for dinner the last few weeks, mostly because it’s just too hot to turn on the stove for a big meal and even if I’m tired I can find the energy for a sandwich.
Although, I do confess I turn on the oven for a just a little bit. My new go-to method for cooking bacon has been in the oven. No more grease splatters on the stovetop and you end up with flat, crisp, evenly cooked pieces every time. All it takes is about 15 minutes, honestly no longer than cooking it in your skillet!
I love salmon and try to have it at least once a week, so I figured this would be a great way change things up a little. In fact, I loved it so much I took the leftover salmon and made a salad version of this BLT the next night! Again, you can’t wrong with this combination.
So what are you waiting for? Forget what you planned on making tonight and make this instead. If I was you, I might even get out there and grill up my salmon first!
- 1lb salmon filet, divided into 4 even pieces
- salt and pepper
- 8 slices thick cut bacon
- 1 beefsteak tomato, sliced
- butter lettuce leaves
- rye bread, lightly toasted
- Mayonnaise or Greek Yogurt (optional)
- Heat your oven to 400 degrees F. and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lay the bacon slices down on the parchment and bake for 15 minutes, flipping halfway through, until crisp. Transfer to a paper towel to drain excess grease. Alternatively, you can cook the bacon in a skillet on your stovetop.
- Season the salmon generously with salt and pepper on both sides.
- In a cast iron skillet on medium heat, add a 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil and place the salmon skin side down when the oil begins to shimmer. Cook the salmon 7-8 minutes per side depending on thickness.
- Light toast the rye bread and spread a thin layer of mayonnaise or Greek yogurt if using. Add a piece of lettuce, tomato slice, two slices of bacon and the salmon.
- Serve immediately with a side of potato salad.
Make sure you check out the rest of the #WeekdaySupper lineup this week for some great ideas!
Monday – Pescetarian Journal – Borlotti Bean Salad with Shaved Pecorino & Pistachios
Tuesday – The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen – Salmon BLT
Wednesday – That Skinny Chick Can Bake – Raspberry Chicken
Thursday – Cravings Of A Lunatic – Lightened Up Enchiladas
Friday – Sue’s Nutrition Buzz – Santa Fe Roasted Veggies Over Quinoa
Pingback: Salmon BLT #WeekdaySupper | The Girl in the Lit...
My husband and I love BLT’s and I make them often for dinner. Nice to add the salmon as it goes so well with the bacon. I’m definitely doing this for our next sandwich night.
What a fantastic sandwich! And love the pictures, great presentation and so much fun!
We had BLT’s for the first time this summer…and now I’m craving your salmon version! What a wonderful twist!
PS…I’ll be JUST as excited if you win the brownie contest as if I do. Seriously. Good luck…can’t wait to see your entry 🙂
I love cooking bacon in the oven! Love this BLT too!
I am picking up some salmon on Friday when I do my grocery shopping. I love salmon. I might try this but grill the salmon instead! Yum! I cannot wait!
We love BLT’s and adding that salmon sounds incredible! We cook salmon at least once a week, and this would be a good way to switch it up.