My good friend Carla from Chocolate Moosey is hosting #SundaySupper this week and weare bringing together Easter and Passover menus for you! No matter your holiday, #SundaySupper has you covered and I’ll be honest, despite being an “Easter” recipe there are a few that could easily cross over for Passover.
Let’s talk Passover desserts and how disappointing they are – after an absolutely fabulous meal here comes dessert, dry bland cake, canned coconut macaroons (you know your family buys these), and chocolate covered matzoh. The only decent thing at the table is going to be the fresh fruit salad and chocolate jelly rings!
Matzoh cake meal does not equal good cake! Nor do the boxed cake mixes! It’s time to give them up! This recipe does contain butter, so depending on how strict you are with the waiting time of meat and dairy you might want to use a substitute, but it isn’t the butter that makes the cake. Melted dark chocolate, whipped egg whites, cocoa powder and just enough sugar to sweeten everything it what makes this cake.
I want you to imagine a giant, moist, light but rich truffle brownie. However, not so rich you can’t dig in for that second slice. This cake will change the face of your Passover dessert table forever! It’ll also make anyone who is gluten-intolerant extremely happy.
- 6 ounces, semi-sweet or 60% dark chocolate finely chopped
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon instant espresso powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs, separated
- Pre-heat your oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a 10-inch tart pan and set aside.
- Using a double boiler, melt your chocolate and butter and set aside to cool slightly.
- While the chocolate is cooling, using your hand or stand mixer with the whisk attachment, whip your egg whites until stiff peaks form, about 4-5 minutes.
- Stir into the melted chocolate, the sugar, cocoa powder, espresso powder, salt and vanilla extract. Stir in the egg yolks, making sure all the ingredients are well incorporated.
- With a rubber spatula, fold in half the egg whites into the chocolate mixture. Rotate the bowl, as you fold making sure not to deflate the egg whites. Add the remaining egg whites and continue folding. It is okay if there are some white streaks remaining.
- Pour the batter into your prepared tart pan and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool completely on a wire rack before removing the outer rim of the pan. Serve with fresh fruit.
Make sure you check out the rest of the Passover and Easter menu for this week!
- How To Color Easter Eggs Naturally from Shockingly Delicious
Breakfast, Breads, and Buns
- Bunny Rabbit Bread from In The Kitchen With Audrey and Maurene
- Easter Brunch Creme Brulee Baked Oatmeal from In The Kitchen With KP
- Fresh Blueberries Hot Cross Buns from My Cute Bride
- Jamaican Easter Spice Bun from The Lovely Pantry
- Paska – Ukranian Easter Bread from Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Portuguese Easter Bread | Folar de Pascoa from Family Foodie
- Resurrection Rolls from Neighbor Food
Appetizers and Sides
- Asparagus, Brie & Ham Crostini from Daily Dish Recipes
- French Gratin Potatoes (Dauphinoise) from Simply Gourmet
- Lemon Glazed Carrots from Curious Cuisiniere
- Not So Deviled Eggs from Country Girl in the Village
- Orange Raisin Couscous from Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Potato and Leek Gratin from Webicurean
- Spinach Spaetzle (Spinat Spaetzle) from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Roast Leg of Lamb with Garlic and Rosemary from Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Slow Cooker Honey Glazed Ham from The Meltaways
- Sicilian “Enchiladas” from The Cooking Actress
- Alebele – Goan Coconut filled Pancake from Masala Herb
- Bunny-Approved Baked Easter Doughnuts from The Weekend Gourmet
- Carrot Cake Cheesecake from Chocolate Moosey
- Carrots in Dirt from The Urban Mrs
- Coconut and M&M’s Cookie from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Coconut Cake with Coconut Buttercream from Juanita’s Cocina
- Coconut Cupcakes from Magnolia Days
- Cream Cheese Candies from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Easter Egg Cookies from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Easter Simnel Cake from Happy Baking Days
- Exotic Walnut Cookies from What Smells So Good?
- Honey Panna Cotta with Grand Marnier Mixed Berries from Gourmet Drizzles
- Japanese Easter Petit Fours and Flowers from Ninja Baking
- Nutella Easter Egg Candy from The Messy Baker
- Old-Fashioned Peanut Rolled Eggs from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Painted Sugar Cookies from Ruffles and Truffles
- Strawberry Bundt Cake from Basic N Delicious
- Apple and Cranberry Charoset from The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Flourless Chocolate Torte from Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Moroccan Haroset from MarocMama
- Pavlova with Red Berries, Lime and Hibiscus from YinMom YangMom
Wine Pairing Recommendations for #SundaySupper Religious Feasts from ENOFYLZ Wine Blog Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter on Sunday, March 24 to talk all about Easter and Passover recipes! We’ll tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and food photos.