Labor Day weekend. The unofficial end to the summer. Kids are back to school, tourists empty out of Times Square, the last rush to the beach and shops start stocking sweaters and boots.
Temperatures are starting to cool down, and I’m ready to usher in my favorite time of the year – fall. I can’t resist the changing leaves and the cooler temperatures. This is the time of year that I want to spend outside, all the time.
What can I say, I’m just not a hot weather gal!
Did you know that Labor Day is the second largest cookout of the year behind Independence day?
Most people will be out at their grill, and this recipe is definitely adaptable to a grilling preparation, but I’ll be enjoying the last bits of my soft shelled lobstah of the season!
|Lobster Salad with Avocado, Corn and Tomatoes #SundaySupper||
- 2 1¼-1/2 pound lobsters
- 3 ears sweet corn, kernels removed from cob
- 1 avocado, cut into ½ inch dice
- 1 tomato, cut into ½ inch dice
- ½ teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot place 2 inches of salted water, set a steaming rack on top and steam your lobsters for 12-14 minutes. As an alternative you can also boil them for 10-12 minutes until bright red.
- Remove the lobsters from the pot and immediately plunge into a large bowl full of ice water to stop the cooking process.
- Remove the meat and cut into ½ to ¾ inch pieces. Not too small, you want to see the lobster!
- Place the lobster in a mixing bowl with the diced avocado and tomatoes.
- If you aren’t grilling the corn, take the stripped kernels and saute them with about ½ tablespoon of butter and a little salt and pepper for about 5 minutes. Add to the lobster mixture.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dijon mustard, lemon juice and white wine vinegar. Slowly whisk in the olive oil until emulsified. Season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette over the lobster mixture until it just coats everything, taste and add more if necessary. You may not need it all, reserve the vinaigrette for a later use.
- Adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Lobster salad can be served right away or chilled for later use, the acid from the lemon and vinegar will keep your avocados from turning brown.
A fun way to serve the dish is by carefully scooping the avocado from the skin and reserving it as a bowl for the lobster salad.
Plan on hosting a big Labor Day bash and looking for more inspiration? Well look no further, because I’ve got a long list right here for you – from starters, to entrees, drinks and desserts! #SundaySupper has got you covered!
Labor Day Cookout Recipes:
Labor Day Cookout Recipes:
Starters & Snacks
- Lobster Salad with Avocado, Corn and Tomatoes by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Grilled Vegetable Spread by Magnolia Days
- Toast Topper #8: Tomato Confit for #SundaySupper by Yummy Smells
- Honey BBQ Wings and Cool Ranch by Big Bears Wife
- Finger Lickin’ Chicken Drumettes by Noshing with the Nolands
- Baked Shrimp and Pasta Caprese by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Korean chili by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Newfangled Cowtown White Chicken Chili by Shockingly Delicious
- Strawberry BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches by The Weekend Gourmet
- Spicy Seoulful Pulled Pork Sandwiches by Kimchi Mom
- Smoked Pork Butt (A How-To) from Juanita’s Cocina
- Soy Glazed Chicken Thighs by The Messy Baker Blog
- Stuffed Green Chili con Queso Cheeseburger Sliders by Damn Delicious
- Adana kebab by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Portabello Paninis by The Hand That Rocks the Ladle
- Bloody Mary Skirt Steak by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Tuna and Roasted Pepper Packets by Cindy’s Recipes & Writings
- Mint Marinated Beef Kabobs with Garlic Sauce by Sustainable Dad
- Creamy Latin Style Pasta by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Spicy Portuguese Style Sliders by Daily Dish Recipes
- Aromatic Glazed Salmon by Happy Baking Days
- Pork sliders by Basic ‘N Delicious
- Foil Packet Chicken by In the Kitchen with Audrey
Salads & Sides
- Mom’s Savory Pork’n’Beans by Webicurean
- Ranch Potato Salad by My Catholic Kitchen
- Gluten Free Penne hot salad with basil, asparagus, cherry tomatoes fresh mozzarella and chicken with a mustard vineagarete for #SundaySupper by Cooking Underwriter
- Southern Surprise Potato Salad by Granny’s Down Home Southern Cooking
- #SundaySupper Marinated Ginger Chicken & Spinach Salad by Kwistin’s Favorites
- Roasted Potato & Corn Salad w/ Bacon by GirliChef
- Vegan Caprese Salad by Galactosemia in PDX
- Picnic Friendly Grilled Vegetable Salad by Mama Mommy Mom
- Smokin Hot Caribbean Spiced Corn-On-The-Cob by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Potato salad with Stilton and bacon by Tora’s Real Food
- Tomato Feta Orzo Salad by Family Foodie
- lightened lemon pound cake by The Meltaways
- Root Beer Float Cupcakes by Chocolate Moosey
- Strawberry Cream Squares by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Fresh Mango Pie by La Cocina De Leslie
- Brown Butter M&M Cookies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Gluten Free Lemon Blondies by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Blueberry Lemon Cream Cheese Coffee Cake by Baker Street
- Strawberry Pie + White Sangria by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Grilled Banana Splits by Diabetic Foodie
- Easy Desserts: Frozen Chocolate Bananas by Home Cooking Memories
- Ice Cream Sandwich Cake by Comfy Cuisine
- Blueberry Lemon Whoopie Pies for a Holiday Cookout #SundaySupper by In the Kitchen with KP
- Labor Day Cookout Food And Wine Pairings by ENOFYLZ
Please be sure you join us on Twitter throughout the day during #SundaySupper. We’ll be meeting up at 7:00 p.m. EST for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat where we’ll talk about our favorite cookout recipes!
We’d also love to feature your Cookout recipes on our #SundaySupper Pinterest board and share them with all of our followers!