Today, September 16th is Mexican Independence Day or Dia de Independencia (I remember a little Spanish from high school and college!)
To celebrate we are having ourselves a little fiesta, hosted by Heather from Girlichef. According to Heather, celebrations in Mexico can last for two days and nights, and we have enough recipes lined up today to get you through multiple Independence Day celebrations!
My contribution, is the standard by which I judge all Mexican restaurants I visit – Chicken Tortilla Soup. To say that it is my favorite Mexican dish is an understatement. I am extremely critical of the preparation – no corn, no peas, no carrots (yes, I have had a version of this). I want my soup smooth, a little texture is fine, enough heat not to ruin my palate for the rest of my meal, moist chicken and freshly fried tortilla strips!
I’ve made a few versions at home myself – each time a different recipe – mostly because I never remembered how I made it the previous time!
The version before this one was Rick Bayless’ recipe, but when I looked it up again, I couldn’t remember if I actually did use chipotles in adobe or not!
Oh well! It was time to experiment all over again! I decided to roast some fresh poblano peppers and fresh tomatoes since they are still mighty fine right now. Any other time of the year, I’d substitute those tomatoes for their fire-roasted canned cousins.
|Chicken Tortilla Soup #SundaySupper||
- 2 poblano peppers
- 15 ounces fresh or canned tomatoes (if using canned, I recommend fire-roasted crushed tomatoes)
- 1 medium white onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 4 cups chicken stock, homemade is recommended
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 boneless chicken thighs or 1 boneless breast (if making stock, save the leftover chicken)
- 1 avocado
- shredded monterey jack cheese
- flour tortillas, cut into strips and fried
- 1 lime, quartered
- With your broiler set to high, on an aluminum foil lined baking sheet place the tomatoes and poblano peppers and brush lightly with vegetable or canola oil.
- Roast under the broiler for about 20-25 minutes, rotating, to make sure each side is evenly charred. Remove from the oven and place in a zip top bag for 2-3 minutes to easier remove all the skins.
- In a stock pot over medium heat, add a tablespoon of oil and sauté your onions until translucent, about 6-8 minutes. Add your garlic, cook for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Over the stock pot, crush the skinned tomatoes with your hands – or use a wooden spoon, making sure to get all the juices into the pot.
- After removing the skins from the peppers, remove the stem and scrape the seeds from the interior and roughly chop. Add it to the pot with the tomatoes and onions, and cook for about a minute.
- Carefully pour in your chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Remove the soup from the heat and puree in a blender or using a immersion blender until thick and smooth. A little texture is fine, but you don’t want any large chunky pieces left.
- Taste and adjust season for salt and pepper at this time.
- If using uncooked chicken, return the soup to the stockpot over medium heat and poach the chicken in the broth. If using leftover chicken from the stock, proceed to plating.
- Ladle soup into a bowl, then top with shredded chicken, sliced avocado and a sprinkle of cilantro. Table side add the shredded monterery jack cheese and tortilla strips. Serve with lime slices.
Remember, soup is just the start of your meal. Round it out with a dish from the rest of our #SundaySupper contributors this week!
Sopas (Soups), Ensaladas (Salads), and Entremeses (Starters)
- Chicken Tortilla Soup - The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Mexican Paint Soup - Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Jalapeño Popper Dip - Chocolate Moosey
- Vegan Tortilla Soup - Galactosemia in PDX
- Texas Caviar - Ruffles and Truffles
- Cheese-Stuffed Jalapeños w/ a Tequila Sunrise - Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Mexican 7 Layer Dip & Chips - The Daily Dish Recipes
- Stoplight Salsa Reisipe - Family Foodie
- Tortilla Soup with Roasted Vegetables - Diabetic Foodie
- Mini Taco Salads - Big Bear’s Wife
La Comida (the food)
- Fiesta en tu Boca Enchiladas (Chicken & White Bean Enchiladas w/ Salsa Verde) - The Hand That Rocks the Ladle
- Gluten-Free Chicken Spinach Artichoke Enchiladas for #SundaySupper - Cooking Underwriter
- Mexican Fiesta for #SundaySupper: Chipotle Chicken & 3 Bean Quesadillas w/ Wasabi Guacamole and Mango Salsa - Chattering Kitchen
- Carnitas - My Catholic Kitchen
- Tamale Pie - Noshing with the Nolands
- Eggs Motuleños - The Meltaways
- Grilled Fish Tacos with Black Bean and Corn Salsa - Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Carne Asada - Magnolia Days
- Carnitas Avocado Pizza with Chipotle Avocado Mayonnaise Drizzle - Damn Delicious
- Frijoles Charros (Cowboy Beans) - La Cocina de Leslie
- Puerco Pibil - girlichef
- BLT Quesadillas with Avocado Mayo - Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chile Rellenos with Roasted Tomato Sauce - Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Tamales with Green Chili Sauce - Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Beef and Vegetable Enchiladas - Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
- Chicken Con Queso - Momma’s Meals
- Baked Flautas - Home Cooking Memories
- Chunky Aztec Chocolate Granola - What Smells So Good?
- Street Tacos Al Pastor - Sustainable Dad
- Shrimp Tacos - Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again
- Chile Relleno with Ranchero Sauce - The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Zippy Chipotle Shrimp & Mango Tostadas - Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Pork Tacos - Tora’s Real Food
- Stuffed Sopapillas - Juanita’s Cocina
- Chicken Fajitas - Cravings of a Lunatic
- Blue Crab Tacos - Pescetarian Journal
- Huevos Rancheros - Comfy Cuisine
- Chocolate Cinnamon Flan - Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Caramel Apple Enchiladas for a Mexican Fiesta #SundaySupper - In the Kitchen with KP
- Chilli Chocolate Truffles - Happy Baking Days
- Horchata Ice Cream & Churro Brownies - Kwistin’s Favorites
- Strawberry Empanadas - In the Kitchen with Audrey and Maureen
- Plantain Fritters - From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Fried Cinnamon Sugar Tortillas - The Watering Mouth
- Beer Margaritas - That Skinny Chick can bake
- Hatch Chile Margarita - Shockingly Delicious
- Skinny & Spicy Watermelon Margaritas - I Run for Wine
- Refreshing Kiwi Lime Margarita - Mama Mommy Mom
- Wine Pairings for a Mexican Fiesta #SundaySupper - ENOFYLZ
Please be sure you join us on Twitter throughout the day during #SundaySupper. We’ll be meeting up at 7:00 pm (Eastern) for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat where we’ll talk about our favorite recipes for a Mexican Fiesta! All you have to do is follow the#SundaySupper hashtag, or you can follow us through TweetChat! We’d also love to feature your Mexican Fiesta recipes on our #SundaySupper Pinterest board and share them with all of our followers! And feel free to leave links to your favorite Mexican or Mexican-inspired recipes in the comment section of this post – I’d love to see them!