How much do you know about your families heritage? I’m talking specifically about the food.
My family hails from primarily Poland and Holland, yet I never grew up eating traditional dishes from those countries. We associated more to our Jewish roots and traditional New York Jewish food – which we really only ate during the holidays. If you did the research back, a lot of that food goes back to Eastern European cooking traditions, but you’d never see Mom cook up kielbasa or goulash.
Today, I am participating in my first #SundaySupper an initiative started by Isabel at Family Foodie. Her mission is to bring back Sunday Supper around the family table in every home. Every Sunday on a twitter a group of bloggers “tweet” up and share out Sunday Supper recipes, tips and stories.
I chose to make a dish that I ate plenty growing up, but was never made from scratch at home. I’m sure at some point my Bubbe made plenty of knishes and had a great recipe lying around for me to use. Sadly she passed when I was a baby and I never had the opportunity to learn to cook from her.
This recipe was a complete experiment on my part, and I was mostly thrilled with it. The filling came out perfect, it tasted just like every knish I’ve ever had. The dough on the other hand, I wasn’t as happy with, I picked a recipe I found online at random, and it just wasn’t what I was used to. I still say, give this a go as is, the crust is much thinner than you usually find and gives a unique taste to the knish.
Also, don’t forget my Le Creuset French Press giveaway is still going on! You can enter by clicking here.
Be sure to stop by and check out all the wonderful meals cooked this week for #SundaySupper.
- Scotch Eggs and Brotchen Rolls – The Meltaways
- Aunt Mary’s Pasta Salad – BG Garden
- Apple Kuchen – Mrs. Mama Hen
- Murgh Makhani (Butter Chicken) – Beetle’s Kitchen Escapades
- Spaghetti Carbonara – Katherine Martinelli
- Slow Cooker Chicken Paprikash – Make Dinner Easy
- German Potato Salad – Magnolia Days
- Sausage and Broccoli with Orecchiette – Daddy Knows Less
- Chicken Enchiladas Suizas – The Weekend Gourmet
- Strawberry Tiramisu – Chocolate Moosey
- Chocoflan – Juanita’s Cocina
- Egg Liqueur Cake – The German Foodie
- Bucatini all’Amatriciana – Mooshu Jenne
- Rasmalai (Ricotta in Sweet Coconut Milk with Almonds and Pistachio) – Sue’s Nutrition Blog
- Mediterranean Couscous Salad – In the Kitchen With KP
- Rouladen – Midlife Road Trip
- Lemon Balm Roasted Chicken and Rum Raising Cupcakes with Maple Frosting – What Smells So Good?
- Keftikas (Turkish Meat and Leek Patties) – The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Croque Monsieur with a Béchamel sauce – The Daily Dish Recipes
- Momma’s Meat Pie with Poutine Sauce – Momma’s Meals
- Polish Rustic Plum Tart – Comfy Cuisine
- Drop Scones (Scottish Pancakes) – Cositas Bonitas
- Jamaican Cornmeal Pudding – The Lovely Pantry
- Borscht Shooters – Cookistry
- Shepherd’s Pie – Big Bear’s Wife
- Parsnip Cakes – Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Roasted Curried Vegetables – Hot Curries & Cold Beer
- Portuguese Mussels in a Chorizo Sauce – Family Foodie
- Bulgogi Kimchi Grilled Cheese – Damn Delicious
- Wine pairings for all the recipes – ENOFYLZ