Two of summers greatest sandwiches and avocado toast get paired together for breakfast nirvana with Bacon Avocado Caprese Breakfast Sandwich.
Not like this is a huge reveal but my tomato love affair has returned. Every summer around this time, I go a little nuts when they start popping up at the farmer’s market. My trip last weekend had me going from stand to stand determining who was selling the best and when they all looked perfect, it took every single bit of self control not to buy them up.
According to my mom, I’ve always been a tomato lover. There was a little farm stand run by an elderly couple not far from our home growing up but it was one of those secret stands behind their house that you had to be “in the know” about. During the summer, my mom would drive around back to see if she’d have anything out and if so, leave the money in a coffee tin and we’d drive away with that days treasures. If they were around, she’d always say to me when you were a little girl you’d couldn’t get enough of my cherry tomatoes!
Apparently the same holds true now, I can’t get enough of them.
With a house full of tomatoes and a giant bundle of basil purchased on the cheap, we’ve been consuming bacon avocado tomato (I rarely keep lettuce at home, so it’s a BAT for us) and caprese sandwiches like you wouldn’t believe.
Since in my mind, I think everything is better with an egg on it and some cheese, why not combine the two for an epic breakfast sandwich? I figured it was going to be a little too messy with two pieces of bread, so I kept it open faced.
This is one of those recipes that you can customize to your liking and my instructions are merely a guideline to building breakfast nirvana.
Promise this though, when you add the bacon, you will weave it so you have a piece in every bite.
- 2 slices country style bread, lightly toasted
- 1 ripe avocado
- 6 slices bacon cooked (optional bacon weave )
- 4 slices fresh mozzarella, halved
- 2 heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 2 eggs, fried or poached
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoon toasted walnuts
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Mashed half an avocado on each slice of bread and place 2 slices (4 halves) of mozzarella cheese on top of the avocado. Heat your oven to 350 degrees and place the bread on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake the toast in the oven for 3-4 minutes or until the cheese starts to melt and then remove.
- Continue to top the toast with 3 slices of bacon each piece (or a bacon weave), thick slices of tomato, a generous amount of basil pesto (instructions to follow) and topped with a fried or poached egg. Serve immediately.
- In the bowl of your food processor add the basil, garlic clove, walnuts, parmesan cheese and lemon juice. Pulse until the basil and nuts are completely chopped and then scrape down the sides. With the motor running, drizzle the oil from the top until the pesto is smooth. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
[box] I love it when you make one of my recipes! Snap a photo and share it on my Facebook page or upload it to Twitter or Instagram and tag #littleredkitchen.[/box]
This looks and sounds so much better than my breakfast shake!! lol While I don’t cook breakfast, I’ll definitely be trying this for “brinner” one of these nights! Yum!
This sandwich has everything I could ever want for breakfast. That runny yolk is calling my name, too.
What an amazing breakfast sandwich! I so wish someone would invade my kitchen and make me one of these to start my day. Pinned!
I’m a tomato lover also….and this sandwich looks mighty fine!
THAT RUNNY YOLK THO. I’m lusting over this!
You’ve combined all of my favorite things into one monster sandwich! I love it!
What a great breakfast sandwich! I love everything about it and am craving one right now!!!
So interesting that we both posted a breakfast sandwich on the same day! Yours looks so delicious. Some of my favorite ingredients all in one lovely recipe.
This sandwich would totally brighten my morning! I love everything about this recipe!
I’m not even a huge tomato lover like you are but this has my mouth watering!
My hubs loves tomatoes too. Plus eggs. I’m going to have to whip some up for him asap.
Tomatoes are one of the first things that we plant in our garden each year because we totally understand your obsession! In fact my daughter eats the by the handfuls! This sandwich looks perfect! I love all of the components to it!
This is the most beautiful sandwich I’ve seen in a long long time. I wish I could have it right now.