Oh hey there! Morning (or err afternoon/evening depending on what time you’ve sat down to read), let’s have a chat today about the most important meal of the day.
I KNOW, you’ve been hearing this for your entire life. Why do need you another person to tell you that it’s so incredibly important to start the day with a good meal? Because it is, that’s why and because you can make that meal pretty darn awesome.
I get it, because it is isn’t a very valid argument. How about because a protein packed breakfast not only is healthy but also gives you the energy to be productive throughout the day? How about making a delicious breakfast at home saves you time and money? Yes it does, this avocado toast might look fancy but I promise it’s easy to put together and it’s a lot cheaper than that coffee and pastry you buy on a regular basis.
I also don’t want to hear the argument about not having time in the morning to make breakfast. I’m a busy person, I work full-time, I run a blog, I’m opening a bake shop, I’m a wife, I’m a mother to a very spoiled pug, I work out to keep myself fit and healthy and I eat breakfast every single morning. There is a reason why I’ve presented two options on the plate here.
You’ve got option A) weekday breakfast: toast your bread, cut up your avocado, tomatoes and sprinkle it with the feta. Then there is option B) weekend breakfast: top option A with that poached egg.
Avocados and eggs are packed full of protein, healthy fats and vitamins. Plus it just tastes good!
American Family Insurance is continuing with their Choose Dreams campaign today and we are discussing healthy eating on a budget and recipes for performance.
It doesn’t matter if you’re a family of two and a pug like me or a family of 4; the first steps to saving money and eating healthy is cooking at home. Starting your day with a healthy breakfast will keep you away from the office vending machine and will fuel you with energy for a jam packed day.
- 2 thick cut slices sourdough bread, lightly toasted
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 1 roma tomato, diced or 3 cherry tomatoes quartered
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (Bulgarian feta recommended)
- kosher salt and za’atar to taste
- 2 poached eggs
- Mash or thinly slice the half of avocado and divide it between both slices of toasted sourdough.Top with the chopped tomatoes, crumbled feta and season with kosher salt and za’atar.Place a poached egg on each piece of avocado toast and serve immediately.
For more great ways to lead a healthy fit lifestyle check out American Family Insurance’s Health and Fitness #ChooseDreams Pinterest Board plus recipes below from #SundaySupper contributors.
You can also connect with American Family Insurance on their Facebook page, twitter, pinterest, Google + , Youtube and LinkedIn.
Get Up and Go Power Breakfasts
- Get Up and Go Mocha Breakfast Smoothie by The Foodie Army Wife
- Avocado Tomato and Feta Toast with Poached Eggs by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Peanut Butter Banana Oat Smoothie by The Messy Baker
Salads and Healthy Snacks
- Cherry Kale Panzanella by Jelly Toast
- Watermelon Salad with Blueberry Balsamic Dressing by Runner’s Tales
- Southwestern Chicken Salad by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pantry Greek Yogurt Ranch Dip by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Peanut Butter Oatmeal Energy Bars by Magnolia Days
Healthy Fit Lifestyle Dinners
- Grilled Fish Tacos with Summer Salsa by Foxes Love Lemons
- Blueberry Pork Chops by MealDiva
- Individual Grilled Veggie Pizzas by Curious Cuisiniere
- Almond Cashew Chicken by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Quinoa Bowls with Grilled Vegetables and Corn Salsa by Ruffles & Truffles
- Chicken and Mushroom Stuffed Peppers by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Sesame Chicken and Vegetable Pasta by Momma’s Meals
- Spiced Yogurt Chicken Kabobs by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Chicken Spinach Quinoa and Brown Rice by Family Foodie
- Healthy Coconut Banana Cookies by Alida’s Kitchen
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie Popsicles by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Blueberry Quinoa Cobbler by Run DMT
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more greatSunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Oh my Susan. I want this right now. For breakfast. Today. *Drooling*
That looks like a perfectly cooked egg! I love tomato, avocado, eggs together … add in feta and I’m in heaven! Mouthwatering!
Pingback: Blueberry Quinoa Cobbler #SundaySupper #ChooseDreams Run DMT
This is the breakfast of champions! I love this! Thanks for sharing!
Pingback: Blueberry Pork Chops #SundaySupper #ChooseDreams — MealDiva
Pingback: Chicken and Mushroom Stuffed Peppers #SundaySupper #ChooseDreamsCindy's Recipes and Writings
Pingback: Pantry Greek Yogurt Ranch Dip Recipe - Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Pingback: Chicken Spinach Quinoa and Brown Rice #SundaySupper — Family Foodie
Ohh, that runny egg! I’ve seen avocado toast, but this takes it to a whole new level!
What a lovely, cheerful breakfast!
This looks so pretty!! I haven’t made avocado toast yet but I definitely need to soon. I love that you added in tomatoes and feta. Yummm
Pingback: Family Healthy Fit Lifestyle #SundaySupper Recipes - #ChooseDreams
Pingback: Ruffles & Truffles
What a gorgeous breakfast, Susan!!! I was thrilled to finally meet you in person! You are as warm and lovely as I imagined…and hope we can spend a LOT more time together at the next conference!! xo
My new favorite healthy breakfast is avocado’s, eggs and tomatoes on toast but I never thought about pouching the egg, LOVE THIS!
Love the breakfast idea and will add it to our menu minus the feta 🙂 Yummy!
Poached eggs are my jam. I’m loving this recipe. Pinned!
My kind of breakfast!
Now THIS is my kind of breakfast!
What a breakfast! This looks so wonderful, I bet my kids would love it too!
Incredibly delicious! Craving a plate of this right now!
I love everything about this dish. It is perfection. It is my breakfast heaven. SO SO GOOD!
Now that’s a PERFECT poached egg! What’s your trick? Swirl the water? Fresh eggs? Both? I have good luck with it sometimes, other times it’s a hot mess. This is such a colorful and healthful breakfast. Who could resist this?
The trick is both and lots of luck. I also put vinegar in the water. Although to be honest usually it’s only the first, maybe the second one that comes out so nice. Anything after that the whites are all over the place. And yes I poach my eggs one at a time.
Ohhh, see…that’s my problem. If I do one egg, it turns out great. But when I’m making breakfast/dinner for the two of us, I’m way too impatient to do that. So I try to do 4 at a time, and they all turn out like crap. Damn patience, why does it have to be a virtue?
Sous Chef would adore this. It looks mouthwatering delicious.
Pingback: Sesame Chicken and Vegetable Pasta for #SundaySupper and #ChooseDreams | Momma's Meals
Pingback: Watermelon Salad with Blueberry Balsamic Dressing | Runner's Tales
You had me at runny yolk! I can hardly imagine a better breakfast 🙂
I just made this (with a few variations) for breakfast and it was delicious! thanks for the yummy idea! =)
Thanks Laura! So glad you enjoyed it. 🙂