April is National Grilled Cheese Month! Let’s celebrate with Brie, Raspberry and Honey Grilled Cheese chock full of goat brie, sweet raspberry and a sweet drizzle of honey.
Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.
Let’s talk grilled cheese shall we?
I love that it has an entire month dedicated to it. AKA essentially the best month ever.
There are a lot of foods that I consider comfort food but there’s only one that I go to at all times of the year, at any time of the day, and in any mood. That my friend is the mighty grilled cheese sandwich. I love the simple combination of two slices of white bread and some american cheese that you get at your local diner; to the artisanal versions you can make at home or even grilled cheese shops (yes these exist)!
Pair it with a giant bowl of tomato soup and then I’m really happy!
Gallo Family Vineyards understands the grilled cheese love and the fact that it’s a perfect pairing for a glass of Pinot Grigio or Pinot Noir.
Of course way back in the day my grilled cheese tastes weren’t as eloquent as they are today with this combination of brie, raspberries and honey. Ready for a shameful confession? I used to love making grilled cheese in the microwave.
I know. I know. It’s really gross now when I think about but back then, it was an easy after school snack of a few slices of cheese stuck between bread and heated up for a minute until it was melty. This wasn’t a once in a while thing either, I’m talking 1-2 times a week.
I hang my head in a bit of shame when I think back to those days.
I’m really glad that I taught myself the proper way to grill up (grill is our keyword here) this mighty sandwich and if you remember correctly we went over those steps last year.
Since those instructions are all out of the way, it’s time to think about what’s actually going into the sandwich. Normally I veer towards the savory side with my grilled cheese but this time around I was feeling a little sweet with my savory and some ooze.
No cheese oozes better than brie and it’s a perfect compliment to fresh berries and honey. The most difficult part was choosing the type of brie. Seriously, go to the cheese counter and take a look at all the varieties, I stood there for a good five minutes before giving in and asking the cheesemonger which one to purchase. His opinion was that goat brie was exactly what the raspberries and honey need and I couldn’t agree more. A little funk, a little tart and sweet and plenty of ooze. All to wash down with a glass of Gallo Pinot Grigio, although I think their Pinot Noir would be a perfect fit as well.
- ½lb goat brie
- 1 pint raspberries
- 1 loaf country bread, cut into 8 thick slices
- unsalted butter, room temperature
- Butter one side of each of the 8 slices of bread and place butter side down on your work surface.
- Slice the brie into ¼ inch slices and divide it amongst half the buttered bread (butter side down).
- In a small bowl, mash the raspberries with the back of your fork and top the brie with the mashed raspberries.
- Drizzle about 1 teaspoon of honey on top of the raspberries and top the sandwich with the remaining bread, butter side up.
- Heat your oven to 350 degrees
- In a cast iron skillet or non-stick skillet add an additional tablespoon of butter and melt over medium heat.
- In batches of 2, grill the sandwiches until crisp and golden brown on each sides about 5-6 minutes.
- Transfer the sandwiches to a parchment lined baking sheet and place in the oven for another 5 minutes to finish cooking. You know the sandwiches are finished when the brie is completely melted and oozing.
- Let sit for a minute before cutting in half and serving.
Want more great grilled cheese recipes? Check out what #SundaySupper has to offer today and Gallo Family’s grilled cheese blog!
- Bacon Inverted Grilled Cheese by Brunch with Joy
- BBQ Pulled Pork and Smoked Gouda Grilled Cheese by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Brie, Raspberry and Honey Grilled Cheese by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Chicken Pesto Grilled Cheese by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Egg Prosciutto Grilled Cheese by Magnolia Days
- French Onion Grilled Cheese by The Redhead Baker
- Garlicky Anaheim Pepper Grilled Cheese by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Gluten Free Kale Grilled Cheese by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Grilled Cheese with Spinach and Roasted Red Peppers by Ruffles & Truffles
- Grilled Havarti with Onion Jam by Nosh My Way
- Grilled Gruyère on Rye with Crisped Sage and Pink Lady Slices by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Loaded Sharp Cheddar and Black Forest Ham Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Longaniza Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Peaceful Cooking
- Philly Cheesesteak Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Family Foodie
- Pizza Grilled Cheese by Alida’s Kitchen
- Roasted Cauliflower, Ham and Brie Grilled Cheese by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Roasted Tomato Caprese Grilled Cheese by One Sweet Mess
- Spinach Artichoke Grilled Cheese by Life Tastes Good
- Tomato Bacon Jam Grilled Cheese by Feed Me, Seymour
- Tomato, Prosciutto and Gruyère Grilled Cheese by Casa de Crews
- Twenty Ways to Make Grilled Cheese plus Wine Pairings on the Sunday Supper Movement website