Start your day with make ahead and on the go Quinoa and Kale Breakfast Bowl.
Happy New Year! Did you all have a good holiday and New Year’s Eve? Mine was quiet and restful, which was exactly what I needed to get ready for the new year ahead. I’m not a big resolution setter because I find I hardly ever stick to them but I do like to plan goals for the year. I find it a lot easier to say, I would like to eat healthier in 2017 than lose 10 pounds or have goals for my business instead of being specific and then upset when something doesn’t happen exactly the way it should. Life doesn’t work exactly as planned and it’s way easier to go with the flow and adjust your goals as they need be.
While it’ll take some time to get the ball rolling on the business goals, I can get a jump start on the healthier eating and you’ll be joining in for that ride too. In the next 4-6 weeks (ish, I mean let’s be honest Valentine’s Day is fitting in this spectrum and I can’t completely give up chocolate) I’ll be sharing recipes to kick start the new year healthy eating plan. You’ll find everything from easy 30 minute meals, snacks to take on the go, recipes for your Instant Pot, whole30 and paleo friendly recipes and filling breakfasts and lunches.
It all starts off now with the most important meal of the day – breakfast and this quinoa and kale breakfast bowl.
I’m normally an eggs/oatmeal/yogurt breakfast person but this breakfast bowl is perfect for busy mornings and even really pulling double duty as a lunch option. There’s always the excuse of I don’t have time for breakfast in the morning but there’s no excuse when you can prepare it all at home. The base of it is simple with quinoa (go for your favorite type) and sautéed kale with a touch of red pepper flakes and lemon juice. After that top it as you like – my preference is hard boiled eggs and avocado for on the go and seared halloumi cheese and fried or soft boiled eggs at home.
It’s simple, filling and will no longer give you the excuse to skip breakfast from here on out.
- 1/2 cup red quinoa
- 1 small bunch green kale
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2-4 hard or soft boiled eggs
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2-3 slices halloumi cheese (optional)
- lemon slices and extra virgin olive oil to dress
- Cook the quinoa according to the packages directions and set aside.
- Remove the kale leaves from the steams and roughly chop. In a saute pan over medium heat drizzle 1 tablespoons of olive oil and add the kale. Saute until it starts to wilt and then add about 1/2 cup of water to the pan and cook the kale for 5-10 minutes until it cooks down and tenderizes. Season with salt and red pepper flakes and squeeze the juice of 1 lemon over the top.
- If serving immediately divide the quinoa and kale between two bowls and top with either hard or soft boiled eggs and your choice of sliced avocado or 2-3 slices of halloumi cheese that has been grilled slightly in a skillet until it is brown (about 2 minutes per side). Finish with a touch of fresh lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil.
- If making ahead, place the quinoa and kale together in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for 2-3 days. Top with desired topping when ready to eat.