Do you look at certain food and just associate it with specific things? For example tea sandwiches are pretty girly. As is anything with pretty colored sprinkles. So are foods that have been turned miniature, any drink that is pink and a giant kale salad.
What about the men though? What food defines MAN FOOD?
Is it meat? Beer? Bourbon? Bacon? Barbecue? All of the above? Or can men eat the pink things too?
#SundaySupper is spending this Father’s Day looking at what defines Man Food. Everyone has a different opinion, as every man is different. Would I say that this bacon bourbon BBQ burger defines my man? Not really, he’s pretty content eating anything I cook and it’s rare that he craves stereotypical man food – however there’s always a nice grin after he puts down a plate of ribs or a good steak.
This burger is the be all that ends all of burgers. This is a knife and fork of burgers (although if you are a real man, you’ll just pick it up and get messy). This burgers has:
A pretzel bun
8 ounces of grass fed beef
Bourbon BBQ Sauce
3 slices of thick cut bacon
And because I can, we topped it with a fried egg.
This is burger was man approved, messy hands, face, napkins and all. Oh for the record it’s woman approved as well. You don’t need to be a man to eat it. 🙂
Whether you make this later today for your Dad or your husband (for fathers of children and the furry kind) they will be extremely happy and full!
- 16 ounces grass fed beef or organic short rib blend ground beef
- kosher salt
- 6 slices thick cut bacon, cooked
- 2 teaspoons grapeseed oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- ½ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 2 ounces extra sharp cheddar, shredded
- 2 eggs fried (optional)
- 2 pretzel buns, toasted
- Very gently form the burgers into 2 - 8 ounces patties, careful not to pack the meat too tightly. Season generously on both sides with kosher salt. Let sit for 15 minutes.
- While the burgers are resting, in a small saucepan over medium heat add the grapeseed oil and diced onion. Saute until the onion begins to sweat and become translucent.
- Stir in the ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, salt and cayenne pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Mix in the bourbon and cook for an addition minute or two. Remove from heat.
- Cook the burgers on a grill or in a cast iron skillet with a small amount of oil according to your preferred preference.
- In the last minute, add 1 ounce of shredded cheese to the top of each burger. If using a grill, cover to melt the cheese. If cooking in a skillet tent with some foil.
- Remove from heat and let rest for 5 minutes.
- While the burger is resting fry the eggs.
- To build the burger:
- Place the bottom of the pretzel bun on a plate and top with the cheese burger, add a tablespoon or two of BBQ sauce, 3 pieces of bacon broken in half and if using top with the fried egg, add the top bun.
- Serve immediately.
Kickstarter Update! Ready for some exciting news? Are ya? Are ya? Well good because ….
WE.ARE.FUNDED!!! Yeah!! Wait though, since we still have a few days left we have stretch goals (and a new reward!) So go check it out!
Now – how about some more manly meals? Ready for over 60 recipes to make any man happy?
- BBQ Chicken Nacho by Country Girl in The Kitchen
- Beer Battered Fried Mushrooms by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Burrata Bresaola and Arugula Appetizer by Family Foodie
- Chicken Satay with Spicy Peanut Sauce by Hip Foodie Mom
- Chipotle Pork Belly-Stuffed Jalapeño Poppers by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Beer-Battered Prawns with Spicy Marmalade by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Devils on Horseback by Nosh My Way
- Fried Pickles by Cookin’ Mimi
- Garlic and Herb Wine Jelly by What Smells So Good?
- Maple Sriracha Chicken Wings by Manu’s Menu
- Tomato Bacon Jam by Feed Me, Seymour
- Bacon Bourbon BBQ Burgers by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Bacon Cheeseburger Crustless Quiche by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Beef Barbacoa by Casa de Crews
- Beef Short Rib Sandwich by Life Tastes Good
- Beer Brats with Pepper Relish by Jelly Toast
- Beer Can Chicken by Curious Cuisiniere
- Chicago Style-Pizza by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Chili Dog Casserole by Simple Gourmet
- Chipotle Pork Chops by girlichef
- Coconut & Lime Grilled Shrimp Skewers by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Colossal Burger by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Gluten Free Lemon Pepper Wings by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Grilled Chipotle Chicken Pizza by Peaceful Cooking
- Grilled Lobster with Miso Butter by Kimchi MOM
- Grilled Sweet Guava Chicken by The Foodie Army Wife
- Ham and Pineapple Pizza Pockets by gotta get baked
- Huevos Rancheros Casserole by Pescetarian Journal
- Lacquered Short Ribs in the Slow Cooker by Shockingly Delicious
- Maple Chipotle Barbecue Pork Tenderloin by Flavor Mosaic
- Meatball Burger on Garlic Bread by Healthy.Delicious.
- Mom’s Slow Roasted Brisket by Food Lust People Love
- Perfectly Pan Seared Steak by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Pollo al Peperoncino by Run DMT
- Polish Coal Miner Piggies (Stuffed Cabbage Rolls- Golabki) by Rants from my Crazy Kitchen
- Red Chile Shredded Chicken Tacos. How to win over your man’s stomach and steal his heart. by Simply Healthy Family
- Ropa Vieja by Meal Diva
- Salt of the Earth Ribs by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Salisbury Steak w/ Loaded Mashed Potatoes and Mushroom Gravy by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Smoked Turkey Drumsticks by Cindy’s Recipes and Writing
- Stuffed Chipotle Bacon Cheese Burgers by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Stuffed Pork Chops by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Tex-Mex Gut Buster Chili by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- The Cleveland Hogg Burger by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Beer Funnel Cake by Killer Bunnies, Inc.
- Black Forest Cake by Noshing with the Nolands
- Carob Chip Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Chunky Monkey Vegan Banana Bread by Ninjabaking.com
- Classic Cheesecake by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Fat Man’s Pie by Magnolia Days
- Mandarin orange cake aka southern pig pickin’ cake by Baking & Browning
- Pizookies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled Pound Cake Stacks with Roasted Strawberries by Melanie Makes
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie With Mascarpone Cream by La Bella Vita Cucina
Wine Pairings for Man Food #SundaySupper byENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.