I love the smell of freshly baked cookies and when you live in an apartment building like me you get to tease your entire floor with the irresistible aroma of butterscotch and caramel.
This folks is how I’ve basically introduced myself to my new neighbors without showing face. Look to the apartment at the end of the hall and you are guaranteed to smell something good out of the kitchen.
If you don’t follow along on Facebook, hubby and I recently moved. It was a bit of stressful process, selling our apartment, timing the move with the closing, figuring out how long term of a place we wanted while we look to buy again, but we are finally settled.
Yes, there is a new little red kitchen in town – although I need to call this one little red kitchen by proxy. It’s a temporary solution while we search for the perfect apartment, a shorter commute is on the list – more space? That’d be nice, but location is first priority. So my red comes from all my many red accessories, painting in a rental is not fun when you need to paint it over again.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1½ cups dark brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup butterscotch chips
- Caramel Hershey Kisses
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Using your stand mixer or a hand mixer – cream the butter and sugars until light and airy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing until well combined before adding the next. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and in two parts mix in the flour on low, careful not to over mix.
- Stir in the butterscotch chips, making sure they are well distributed throughout the dough.
- Scoop dough out onto prepared baking sheets, about 2 – 2½ tablespoons in size and bake for 13-15 minutes – the edges should just start to brown.
- Once the cookies are done baking, immediately place a Hershey’s kiss in the center of each cookie, pressing down slightly.
- Let cool completely before storing in an airtight container for up to 5 days.