I love the smell of freshly baked cookies and when you live in an apartment building like me you get to tease your entire floor with the irresistible aroma of butterscotch and caramel.
This folks is how I’ve basically introduced myself to my new neighbors without showing face. Look to the apartment at the end of the hall and you are guaranteed to smell something good out of the kitchen.
If you don’t follow along on Facebook, hubby and I recently moved. It was a bit of stressful process, selling our apartment, timing the move with the closing, figuring out how long term of a place we wanted while we look to buy again, but we are finally settled.
Yes, there is a new little red kitchen in town – although I need to call this one little red kitchen by proxy. It’s a temporary solution while we search for the perfect apartment, a shorter commute is on the list – more space? That’d be nice, but location is first priority. So my red comes from all my many red accessories, painting in a rental is not fun when you need to paint it over again.
Home finally felt like my home after I baked these cookies this past weekend. The smell, the comfort, and the making a mess of things is what makes me happy.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup butterscotch chips
- Caramel Hershey Kisses
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Using your stand mixer or a hand mixer - cream the butter and sugars until light and airy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing until well combined before adding the next. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and in two parts mix in the flour on low, careful not to over mix.
- Stir in the butterscotch chips, making sure they are well distributed throughout the dough.
- Scoop dough out onto prepared baking sheets, about 2 - 2 1/2 tablespoons in size and bake for 13-15 minutes - the edges should just start to brown.
- Once the cookies are done baking, immediately place a Hershey's kiss in the center of each cookie, pressing down slightly.
- Let cool completely before storing in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
You know…if you keep baking cookies I’m sure I could find an opening in my building. 😉
Butterscotch and caramel? Awesome! The melty is the best part 🙂
What a homey cookie!!! Oh and I bet the smell is such wonderful torture to your new neighbors!
Susan, these look scrumptious. I hope you find your dream apartment! Good luck.
Awwwww I love how you introduced yourself to your new neighbors! Ummmm yummmmyyyyy cookies!
And I know you’ll find the perfect apartment soon!
Oh, yeah! These are my kind of cookies!!! Good luck with the apartment hunt!
these look yummy!
Just move in with me, Susan. Vancouver is gorgeous (albeit wet). I’d be in heaven if you baked me these cookies and kept me plied with all the alcohol you’ve been working with lately 😉 If you choose not to take me up on my offer, good luck with the apartment hunt! You’ll know it’s the one when you see it – hopefully that’s sooner rather than later.