Thank you to everyone who entered, this giveaway is now closed.
I swear I didn’t mean to line it up this way, but it’s a Land O Lakes® party at the Little Red Kitchen this week!
A few weeks ago, Land O Lakes® contacted me asking to join in a webinar with Amber from their test kitchen and Rebecca from Foodie with Family. While I couldn’t attend because it was during work hours and there was no guarantee I wouldn’t be interrupted, Land O Lakes® was nice enough to send me a copy of the webinar to list to at home. They went over some incredible recipes, and I’m dying to make this pull-apart party loaf! My thanks for listening in? An amazing cheese chatter gift pack, one for me and one for you! However, you have to read along to find out what was included!
Since the topic of the webinar was cheese and hosting parties, my mind immediately went to making soft pretzels. We have a restaurant near us that serves something similar to this and I’ve been dying to recreate it at home – more for the cheese dipping sauce than anything! I swear they never give us enough and I feel a little piggish asking for more.
My pretzel recipe is coming from the master himself, Mr. Alton Brown – it’s been one of those recipes that has sat waiting for a long time collecting dust. Let me tell you, despite the steps of proofing the dough, boiling it in water and then baking, this couldn’t be easier.
Land O Lakes® also has an insane variety of cheeses to choose from for the cheese sauce, but since I was looking for a little kick, I went with their Jalapeño Jack deli cheese.
- 1½ cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 4½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ounces unsalted butter, melted
- Vegetable oil, for pan
- 10 cups water
- ⅔ cup baking soda
- 1 large egg yolk beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- Coarse Sea Salt or Pretzel Salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 ounces Land O'Lakes Jalapeño Jack Cheese, torn into small pieces
- 4 ounces extra sharp cheddar, shredded
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, mix together the warm water, sugar and yeast. Let stand for 5 minutes until foamy.
- Add the flour and melted butter and with your hook attachment mix on medium speed until the dough is smooth about 4-5 minutes. It should pull away from the sides of the bowl during this process.
- Remove the dough from the bowl, form into a ball and return it to a lightly greased bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and place in a warm area to rise until doubled in size. About 1 hour.
- Pre-heat your oven to 450 degrees F. and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lightly brush the parchment with vegetable oil.
- In a large pot, bring the water and baking soda to a boil.
- Divide the dough into 4 pieces and then take each quarter and divide into 5 pieces. Roll each piece into a 6 inch long rope.
- Carefully place each pretzel stick into the boiling water and boil for 30 seconds. Remove to the prepared parchment paper. Brush with the egg wash and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes until golden brown.
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minutes to create a roux.
- Slowly pour in the milk, and vigorously whisk to avoid any lumps. Continue to whisk and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat to low and slowly whisk in a small amount of cheese, adding more after each batch is melted.
- Serve immediately with the warm pretzel sticks.
Are you ready to hear about that giveaway yet? Here goes!
Giveaway details: One (1) Emile Henry Pizza Stone, One (1) white serving plate from Crate and Barrel, One (1) reusable insulated tote bag and One (1) high value Land O Lakes® deli cheese coupon. It is open to U.S. Residents Only and will run from Friday, February 8, 2013 to Thursday, February 14, 2013. I will announce one (1) random winner on Friday, February 15th. Please be sure to include a way for me to contact you via email when entering.
How to Enter:
- Required Entry: Leave a comment with your how you plan to use your Land O Lakes® cheese!
Additional Entries (not required, but will give you more chances to win) please leave a comment after completing each task.
- Like The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen on Facebook
- Like Land O Lakes® on Facebook
- Follow The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen on Pinterest
- Follow Land O Lakes® on Pinterest
- Subscribe to The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen by entering your email in the sidebar to the left.
Disclaimer: As a participant of the Cheese Chatter webinar, I received a free gift package from Land O’Lakes for recipe development and review purposes. All opinions here are my own.