Filled with fresh vegetables, avocado, herbs and spicy seasoned tuna this Spicy Thai Chili Tuna Summer Roll makes a great on the go lunch for picnics and beach days all summer long.
I’ve recently fallen into a weird habit now that I’m working from home full time, one so odd that it makes me think I’ve been replaced with an alien version of myself.
I don’t eat real lunches anymore. This may not be weird to some people but for me, it’s odd. I love food, obviously look at my job but it’s more than that, I’ve always been a three square meals a day person. For some reason lunch hour zooms by me until it’s mid-afternoon and my tummy is growling to be fed. At that point I have no desire to actually prepare a proper lunch, so I nibble on whatever has been happening in the kitchen or toss together snacks I find in the fridge and pantry.
This has got to stop. A girl needs to feed herself a healthy mid-day meal and I think I finally found the answer.
I was taking care of my
weekly scratch that, one of the many shopping trips I take each week and started to stock up on lunch items. If it’s in the house, then I have no excuse to prep a good meal when I stumbled across my good friend tuna. Low and behold there were new flavors of Bumble Bee I couldn’t resist, in particular their new Seasoned Tuna Medley Bowl Spicy Thai Chili.
The tuna is lightly marinated with thai flavors and even has a chili right in the center, a little kick of heat was the perfect match to avocado, fresh herbs and a bounty of fresh vegetables. Bumble BeeBee Sensations® is perfect on the go or in your favorite sandwich. For me though, this called to be rolled into an on the go summer roll.
What I love about summer rolls is the fact that you can prep everything in advance. Chop your vegetables, have your herbs ready or walk outside and trim them from your garden and the day you’re ready to eat, assemble and enjoy. Nothing motivates you more for to eat a healthy meal than when you have half the prep already completed.
The biggest challenge is dealing with the rice paper and if it tears, just double wrap it to make sure it survives through lunch.
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 zucchini
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/2 English Cucumber
- 1 ripe Hass Avocado
- 1 - 4 ounce can Bumble Bee Sensations Tuna Medley Bowl Spicy Thai Chili
- fresh basil and cilantro leaves
- rice paper wrappers
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons cane sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely diced
- In a small bowl whisk together the lime juice, sugar, fish sauce, ginger and garlic until the sugar starts to dissolve. Transfer to a ramekin and set aside to rest.
- Cut the carrots, zucchini, bell peppers and cucumber into julienne or match sticks, no more than 1/4 inch thick and 2 inches long.
- Cut the avocado in half, remove the pit and slice.
- Fill a wide shallow bowl with water, check the directions on your package for the temperature of the water and dampen a tea towel to prep the summer rolls on.
- Dip the rice paper in the water for just a few seconds, you want it wet and pliable but not soaking. Rotate the paper if necessary and try not to allow the sides to stick together. Move it to the damp towel.
- To start building your summer rolls, place a few sprigs of basil and cilantro down, then 2-3 pieces of each vegetable, 1 1/2 tablespoons of tuna and lastly 2 slices of avocado on top of the tuna. Fold in the sides of the rice paper, then the bottom and roll to seal. If for some reason the paper breaks, you can repeat with a second sheet of paper for a better seal.
- I don't recommend putting the tuna directly on the rice paper as the moisture will cause the paper to tear.
- Repeat until all the tuna has been used in the can, you should end up with 5-6 summer rolls. Store leftover vegetables in a container for future use.
- Serve the summer rolls with the accompanying dipping sauce.
[box] I love it when you make one of my recipes! Snap a photo and share it on my Facebook page or upload it to Twitter or Instagram and tag #littleredkitchen.[/box]
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
I eat so much Bumble Bee tuna for lunch (quick, easy & healthy) but never thought to do something like this. Great idea! Love that dipping sauce!
This sound absolutely perfect for the summer! Love the thai flavors!
Love this light, summer lunch idea. Looks refreshing and delicious!
Great job on the mise en place! And that recipe? YUM! I love summer rolls, ad this one looks fabulous!
I agree with Kelly, I would love to eat these for lunch! I do a lot of driving for work, so I’m always looking for something that I can grab and go!
Okay. Now this is a summer dish! I love the fresh vegetables, avocado and the herbs. It has this lovely bright color. It looks really great! I love the dipping sauce too. The recipe is refreshing and delicious! 🙂
WHAT?!? I need to get my hands on this Spicy Thai Chili Tuna. I’m already imagining drizzling some thai sweet chili sauce on this bad boy! YUM!
A nice fresh summer meal!
Yep, it’s really hard to resist this situation when you work from home. It’s SO easy for me to just get so caught up in working that it’s 3pm and I haven’t eaten lunch. Such a bad move. These summer rolls look so fresh, healthful and delicious. Perfect for anybody who needs a proper lunch 🙂
I hear you on the lunch part! Usually when I pack a lunch, I have all the food I need but when you work at home, you just pick and choose. Usually I rely on dinner leftovers, but if I don’t have any, then I’m stuck. I’ll have to try out these summer rolls and keep a stockpile for lunch time!
These rolls look fabulous!
My daughter is always complaining that she wants more food like this! SHe’d be all over these rolls! Fresh and healthy, who can blame her?
What a great recipe for lunch. It is ideal for hot summer days, and I love how refreshing and healthy this looks!
That Thai-flavored tuna is one of my favorite specialty tunas! Love what you did with it!
Ahhh I always crave fresh rolls this time of year!! What a smart idea to use tuna!!
Love all these flavors! Could live on something like this all summer!
Great take on the spring roll!
I adore summer rolls! So healthy, yet filling. I love your hearty, colorful rendition!
These delicious summer rolls are such a fun use for tuna! Definitely perfect for a weekday lunch. 🙂
You are so right about the prep part of making lunches…when I try and get a salad made in the morning before work, it’s never as easy as when I’ve prepped the night before! Those summer rolls look great!
Looks so healthy! And that sauce sets it over the top. I could totally nom on that.
Bet it took a while to get all those veggies to look as gorgeous as you did. 😉 These sound delicious, wish I could have tried one!