Ah, the first weekend of October. The first weekend when it finally feels like fall. I love fall, I’ve professed my love for fall many times. Without a doubt it is the best time of year in New York. The leaves are changing, the air is cool, crisp and not humid – usually – we did have a freakishly humid week this week, and the air just smells fresh.
There is something about the smell of fall that I love. I don’t know if it is the first bit of smoke from someone’s lit fire place hanging in the air, or the cool breeze from my open window at night while I’m sleeping. Perhaps it is because everyone is ready to turn on their oven and start baking again, yeah, that’s it!
Fall means the color of my food change, no more bright summer vegetables to enjoy. Now is the time for brussels sprouts, colorful cauliflower, and a lot of squash and pumpkin! #SundaySupper is getting into the fall spirit this week celebrating “all things orange.” It is an appropriate theme for this time of year, orange to me is one of the first colors I think of when it comes to fall. Not just because of the food we eat, but because of the colors of the leaves and the sunset at night.
|Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scones with Pumpkin Glaze #SundaySupper||
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 2½ tablespoons brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into ¼ inch pieces
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ½ cup solid packed pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 – 1½ cups confectioners sugar
- 3 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees F. and line a baking sheets with parchment paper or a silpat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, baking soda, powder, salt, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Using a pastry blender, two knives or your hands, add the butter and while working quickly mix the butter into the dry ingredients until the consistency is pebble-like.
- Stir in the milk and pumpkin puree and mix until well combined. Add the vanilla extract and chocolate chips.
- Scoop the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead briefly to make sure everything is well mixed.
- Transfer the dough to your baking sheet and pat into a round that is about 1½ inches thick.
- With a sharp knife, cut the dough into 8 triangles, but do not separate the scones.
- Bake for 12 minutes, until brown and cooked through. While still warm, using a sharp knife cut through the previous cuts you made prior to cooking. Let cool for 20 minutes.
- While the scones are cooling, in a shallow dish whisk together 1 cup of the confections sugar, pumpkin puree, cinnamon and vanilla extract. Depending on the thickness of the glaze you may need to add more sugar. Adjust as needed, if you feel like it could use a little more pumpkin flavor, go ahead and add some more puree.
- When the scones are cool, dip the tops into the glaze and set aside to set.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Sunrise (Breakfast and Brunch)
Paula from Vintage Kitchen Notes is bringing her Orange Ricotta Pancakes
Erin from Dinners Dishes and Desserts is baking up some Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
Heather from Girlichef is bringing Pumpkin Doughnuts with Spiced Buttermilk Glaze
Nicole from Daily Dish Recipes is making Pumpkin Donut Puffs
Patti from Comfy Cuisine is bringing Classic Orange Marmalade
Sunithi from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz is making Spiced Pumpkin Ricotta Muffins with Craisins and Walnuts
Wendy from The Weekend Gourmet is cooking up some Pumpkin Maple Oatmeal
Jamie from Mama Mommy Mom is bringing Butternut Squash Butter
Chelsea from Chelsea’s Culinary Indulgence is bringing Pumpkin Spiced Donuts with Chai Icing
High Noon (Soups, Salads and Sandwiches)
Renee from Magnolia Days is serving up some Butternut Squash Soup
Beate from Galactopdx is bringing her Carrot Ginger Soup
Jen from Juanita’s Cocina is making some Curried Sweet Potato Salad With Cranberries and Pecans
Megan from I Run For Wine is making Skinny Roasted Butternut Squash and Italian Sausage Soup
Sarah from What Smells So Good is filling our bowls with some Spicy Sweet Potato and Coconut Soup
Alice from Hip Foodie Mom is coming with her Roasted Carrot and Red Quinoa Salad
Susan from The Wimpy Vegetarian is making Cider – Spiced Sweet Potato Soup
Tora from Tora’s Real Food is bringing Butternut Squash and Tomato Soup
Melanie from From Fast Food to Fresh Food is making Monty’s Pumpkin Soup
Lyn from The Lovely Pantry is bringing Roasted Pumpkin & Coconut Soup
Kim from Cravings of a Lunatic is whipping up some Mandarin Chicken Salad
Sunset (Dinner and Main Dishes)
Sarah from Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends is offering up some Pumpkin Ravioli
Shelia from Pippis In The Kitchen Again is serving her Roasted Squash and Ricotta with Honey
Pam from The Meltaways is making Spooky Stuffed Peppers
Patsy from Famfriendsfood is bringing her Carrot Souffle
Laura from Small Wallet Big Appetite is bringing Chicken and Sweet Potato Fritters
Mehereen from Chattering Kitchen is making Sichuan Orange Glazed Chicken with Toasted Sesame Seeds
Tammi from Momma’s Meals is making Hearty Pork Stew
Kristin from Kwistin’s Favorites is making Orange Chicken
Soni from Soni’s Food For Thought is cooking up some Rigatoni with Pumpkin Ricotta Sauce
Shelby from Diabetic Foodie is cooking up some Moroccan Vegetable Stew
Dara from Generation Y Foodie is bringing Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
Brandie from Home Cooking Memories is sharing a DIY Baked Sweet Potato Bar
Amber from Mama’s Blissful Bites is bringing Rice and Fig Stuffed Mini Pumpkins
By The Bonfire (Sweets, Snacks and Sips)
Carla from Chocolate Moosey is making Pumpkin Tiramisu with Pumpkin Butter Caramel Sauce
Heather from Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks is offering up some Pumpkin Cake Truffles
Shelia from Cooking Underwriter is bringing Sweet Potato Bacon Beet Salsa
Anne from Webicurean is making some Drunken Pumpkin Bread
Karen from In The Kitchen With KP is making Oven Baked Sweet Potato Chips
Leslie La Cocina De Leslie is making Sweet Potato Atole
Seet Fei from My Trials in The Kitchen is bringing Sweet Potatoes Mini Balls
Tara from Noshing With The Nolands is bringing Oranges En Suprise
Susan from The Girl in The Red Kitchen is making Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scone with Pumpkin Glaze
Conni from Mrs. Mama Hen is making Orange Glazed Poundcake
Isabel from Family Foodie is baking up Moist Pumpkin Bread
Cindy from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings is baking up a Vegan Pumpkin Orange Cake
Brenda from Meal Planning Magic is whipping up some Creamy Pumpkin Dip
Laura from Family Spice is making some Unprocessed and Gluten Free Pumpkin Bread
Kathya from Basic and Delicious is baking up Butternut Squash and Carrot Bread
Liz from That Skinny Chick Can Bake is serving up Pumpkin Roll with Cream Cheese Filling
Stephanie from The Cookie A Day Challenge is whipping up some Pumpkin Ice Cream Sandwiches
Katie from She Like Ruffles, He Likes Truffles is bringing Pumpkin Harvest Cookies
Nancy from Gotta Get Baked is baking up some Orange Macadamia Dark Chocolate Cookies
Angie from Big Bear’s Wife is bringing Orange Soda Pumpkin Patch Cupcakes
Katy from Happy Baking Days is bringing Carrot Cake with Orange Glaze
Sandra from Midlife Road Trip is bringing Orange ya glad it’s fall! Hungarian Apricot/Walnut pastries
Please be sure you join us on Twitter throughout the day during #SundaySupper.
We’ll be meeting up at 7:00 pm(Eastern) for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat where we’ll talk about our favorite recipes featuring our favorite fall color.
We’d also love to feature your easy go to recipes on our #SundaySupper Pinterest board and share them with all of our followers, too.