Steak and Potato Salad with Avocado, Corn and Tomatoes is a big plate of comfort food masquerading as a salad. Feed a crowd or have leftovers for lunch the next day with this hearty meal.
I feel a little wrong calling this meal a salad. It’s really just a big plate of comfort food masquerading as a salad and I’m okay with that.
I obviously suppose in some place, some where, some person might consider a big leafy green salad their version of comfort food but that’s not happening in my world. Give me a a good steak and perfectly roasted potatoes and I’m in my happy place.
I figure we’ve got tomatoes and avocado and corn (do you consider corn a vegetable or a starch – I still think the debate is open on that one) then essentially we can call everything a salad.
Plus it’s cut up, tossed together with a citrusy basil vinaigrette and can be eaten warm or cold.
Boom. . . salad justification complete.
Honestly though . . .whatever you want to call it, steak and potatoes with veggies on the side, a big jumble of food on your plate or a salad just make sure to add it to your meal plan soon, m’kay?
I understand that the long list of ingredients may sound intimidating – you want me to roast potatoes, cook corn, sear a steak, slice up tomatoes, an avocado and dirty my blender?
Fine when I write it all out the dish count is pretty high but you’ve got options.
- Grill it all: Unlike me, I’m going to take a wild guess the lot of you have a grill, toss everything on there, the potatoes, the corn, the steak and you’re good to go! Multitude of dishes eliminated!
- Cook it all on the stove like I mentioned above 🙂
Fine the options are limited but with the weather still gorgeous out, I say go for option one if you can and if you can’t, what’s an extra dirty dish or two for a delicious meal that’ll feed a crowd – or you for days on end!
- 1 - 1 1/4lb skirt steak
- 1lb fingerling potatoes, halved
- 2 ears fresh corn
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat your oven to 400 degrees F. and place the halved fingerling potatoes on a rimmed baking sheet, cut side down. Drizzle with avocado oil, season generously with kosher salt and black pepper and roast for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Pat the steak dry with paper towels and season generously with salt and pepper on both sides. If the steak is large, cut in half to fit in your skillet.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat, drizzle 1/2 tablespoons avocado oil in the skillet and cook 1 portion of steak at a time, about 2-3 minutes per side for medium rare. Transfer to a cutting board and tent with foil to rest for 10 minutes, repeat with second portion of steak.
- While the steak is resting, remove the kernels of corn with a sharp knife and saute in a small saute pan with a little bit of oil for 3-4 minutes or until cooked through. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- To make the vinaigrette: Place the basil, lemon juice and olive oil in a blender and puree. Season to taste with kosher salt and black pepper.
- To assemble the salad, slice the steak across the grain in 1/2 inch thick slices and arrange on a platte with the fingerling potatoes, halved cherry tomatoes, corn and diced avocado.
- Drizzle the basil vinaigrette over the top.
- Serve the salad warm or cook ahead of time and serve cold.