Your morning scone goes savory with flaky, salty, cheesy Bacon Cheddar Scones.
I’m so excited you guys, a few weeks ago Braden and I sat down at the computer and finalized plans for our summer vacation this year. We are off to London (insert Joey Tribbiani voice of London) baby!
Since booking the tickets we’ve been on a fast track to planning our trip even though we don’t leave until the end of June.
Flat booked ? Food tour scheduled ? Day trips roughly outlined ? West End Shows picked ?
There are still small things to do like pick museums and historical sites to visit plus make a restaurant list and reservations. However my real goal is to figure out how many afternoon teas I can fit in during the 8 days we are there.
I’ve always had a love of British culture and I seriously can’t believe it’s taken this long to finally visit across the pond.
Mom and I used to sit and watch any and all Royal specials whenever they were on tv when I was younger, especially the Princess Diana ones. The first thing I said to Braden was that I must see the Queen (okay I know I won’t actually get to see the Queen but I will go to Buckingham Palace and Westminster.
All of those visits will coincide with one of my many afternoon tea jaunts. You think I’m joking, how many scones can one person possibly eat?
A lot. I love tea and scones and the little tea sandwiches and ooh especially all the pastries.
Oh man, there will be a lot of walking on this trip. 😉
To get in the mood for London, I figured I’ll start with my own scones. I love plain and sweet scones as much as the next person but most mornings I prefer something savory.
These bacon cheddar scones do just the trick with the flaky interior, little bits and pieces of bacon and English cheddar melted throughout. While I think they are best the day they are made, they certainly last a few days and are just excellent toasted up and make the perfect breakfast on the go.
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 cup shredded English Cheddar
- 4 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1 cup heavy cream + 1 tablespoon
- 1 large egg
- Heat your oven to 400 degrees F. and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix the flour, baking powder and salt together in a medium bowl.
- Add the butter and using a pastry cutter or your hands, mix it in with the flour until it resembles coarse meal or small pebbles.
- Stir in the cheese and bacon.
- In a small bowl whisk together the 1 cup of heavy cream and egg. Pour in the center of the dry ingredients and combine well.
- Pour the dough out onto a well floured surface, it will be very wet and sticky at this point.
- Pat the dough together into a circle that's about 3/4 inches thick and cut into 8 wedges.
- Transfer the wedges to your parchment lined sheet pan and brush the tops with the remaining tablespoon of heavy cream.
- Bake the scones for 13-15 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.
- Let cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.
- Scones are best served the day they are baked but can be stored in an airtight container for 2-3 days. Toast leftover scones before serving.
[box] I love it when you make one of my recipes! Snap a photo and share it on my Facebook page or upload it to Twitter or Instagram and tag #littleredkitchen.[/box]