Before this month goes, I absolutely felt the need to share another #leeklove recipe with you.
Leek options abound, I realized it’s been quite sometime since we’ve had a new risotto recipe around here. My original thought was to make a “BLT” risotto, replacing lettuce with leeks – but there was no way I was going to subject myself or you to the misery of January tomatoes!
Would you believe I was stumped on what to replace my T food with? All I could come up with was tacos, tilapia, tortillas, and taleggio. While I realized the taleggio cheese risotto would have worked, I’m just not that big of a fan of it.
Oh well, I’ll just have to revisit this again in the summer when my precious tomatoes are back and I can roast them and savor the sweetness that goes along with the sauteed leeks.
- 3 slices thick cut bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 medium leeks, white and light green parts only
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup parmigiano reggiano cheese, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a dutch oven or heavy bottom pot over medium heat, cook the bacon until brown and crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to drain on paper towels.
- Remove excess bacon grease, reserving 1 tablespoon.
- While the bacon is cooking, halve the leeks and slice into 1/2 inch moons. Thoroughly clean and dry.
- In a second medium pot, over medium-low heat, bring the chicken stock and water to a simmer.
- Heat reserved bacon grease in dutch oven over medium heat and add the sliced leeks. Cook until they begin to soften about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the arborio rice and toast, stirring for 1 minute.
- Pour in the white wine, and cook until the rice has absorbed it all, stirring occasionally.
- Add the stock to the rice in 1/2 cup increments, stirring occasionally, adding more when most of it has been absorbed. You may not use all the stock - after 4 cups stop and taste the rice to see if it is cooked through.
- Stir in the parmigiano cheese, bacon and season with salt and pepper.
Bacon and leeks in risotto? Uh, yes, please!!
Wow…I love a good risotto…and I love bacon. So this has to be a winner! Pinning this to try later.
Soo….I’ve never had risotto before. Someday you should teach me how to make it (and we’ll all cross our fingers that I like it)!! This one really looks delicious-I adore leeks 😀
It’s a deal!
My girlfriend wants me to teach her how to make risotto and I’ve been looking for a good recipe to share. Yours is perfect! My hubby would love it, too!
This sounds amazing! leeks & bacon…perfection 🙂
this sounds like perfect comfort food Susan! i never thought to put leeks or bacon in risotto but now it sounds absolutely perfect – love this!
Yum, I love risottos (and bacon!), they’re so versatile! And I usually use leeks instead of onions, so this is perfect for me 😉
See you in February for #souplove!
Normally I do not read article on blogs, but I wish to say that this write-up very forced me to check out and do it! Your writing taste has been amazed me. Thank you, quite great post.