After a long, cold and brutal winter who here is thrilled that Spring has finally arrived? Mother nature has played little tricks with us with beautiful days tucked between cold and wind but I’m hoping I can finally shed my boots, gloves, parka and thick scarf for pretty dresses and sun hats.
Instead of hibernating inside, I want to take long walks to the farmer’s market and dine outdoors. Gone are those heavy winter stick to your bones meals. Let’s eat lighter and bring out bright flavors.
To me a bright flavor equals lemon and lemon somehow translates to spring entrees and desserts. I do find it ironic that lemon is so prominently found in spring desserts even though it’s prime season is winter.
Perhaps it appears so frequently because it’s a chance to use up the last of the really good fruit before it disappears. Lemons are bred to grow year round but their cousin the Meyer lemon can still only be found through about the end of April.
When I see a Meyer lemon, I need to make a cheesecake. After that I need to make lemon curd. Sure there are a host of other Meyer lemon related treats that I love but those two are my favorite. This time around I put them together with some help from Dixie Crystals Sugar. I love using Dixie Crystals because their sugar is all natural pure cane.
Right, our cheesecake. What I love about cheesecake bars vs. traditional cheesecake is that it is much less finicky. There is no need to set up a water bath to bake the cake in and if the cheesecake does crack; it’s okay because the top will be smothered with homemade lemon curd.
I think this would be wonderful to serve at Easter and if you skip the crust this easily translates to a Passover dessert.
Do you want to get into the baking fun too with Dixie Crystals? Do you love brownies? Are you a food blogger? Well I have a great opportunity for you! For the second year in a row, Dixie Crystals is sponsoring a brownie dessert contest where the lucky winner will win 1 ticket to the Food and Wine Conference in Orlando, FL, have their dessert be featured and a $500 gift card! All the information is right here! Get your brownie thinking caps on!
Let’s also take a look and see what the rest of the #SundaySupper contributors baked up this week!
- Blueberry Buckle Coffee Cake by Neighborfood
- Butterscotch Chocolate Caramel Cookie Cups by The Messy Baker
- Chewy Lemon Sugar Cookies by Alida’s Kitchen
- Coconut Lime Meltaway Cookie Bars by Chocolate Moosey
- Flan in Moscato Wine Sauce by Family Foodie
- Fresh Strawberry Tartlets by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Gluten-Free Deep Dish Carrot Cakes for Two by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Bundt by In The Kitchen With KP
- Lemon Cornmeal Sandwich Cookies by girlichef
- Lemon Roulade by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Lime Sugar Cookies by Magnolia Days
- Meyer Lemon Bars with Poppyseed Crust by Foxes Love Lemons
- Meyer Lemon Cheesecake Bars by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Mixed Berry Crumble by The Dinner-Mom
- No-Bake Banana Split Dessert Cups by The Weekend Gourmet
- Poached Pear Bread by Momma’s Meals
- Springtime French Macarons by Hip Foodie Mom
- Strawberry Cheesecake Bites by Supper For A Steal
- Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes by The Foodie Army Wife
- Strawberry Rhubarb Upside Down Cake by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? Click here: Sunday Supper Movement