Start the new year eating right with one pan Meyer Lemon Roasted Chicken Thighs, Fennel and Sweet Potatoes – it’s not only delicious but easy for a weeknight meal!
New Year – New Start. That’s what everyone says right? The diet starts today but you know what? I hate the term diet, it has so many negative connotations associated with it.
This year, let’s banish the word diet and use the words good eating instead.
How does that sound to you?
What does good eating mean? Well in my world, the it’s defined by a lot of vegetables, grass-fed/pasture raised meats, fruit and whole grains all cooked in a delicious manner that doesn’t make you feel like you are eating “healthy” food.
They key to all this, roasting.
Roasting has incredible powers. Let me explain my friends.
Take for example fennel: In it’s raw state I can’t stand it, the smell alone puts me off. I am not a fan of anise, it becomes a little more tolerable to me when you pickle it but even then after one or two pieces I’m done.
Why then would I take a vegetable I can’t stand and make it the main component of my meal? Because roasting changes the structure of this humble vegetable here, that off-putting licorice taste is now sweet and caramelized and if you’d let me I’d probably eat a whole head roasted. Okay, I won’t go that far but you get my point.
Take something healthy, roast it and awesome things happen to it. It’s the brussels sprouts theory. No one really likes them but all of sudden everyone started roasting them with bacon and bam! brussels sprouts for everyone!
Also my good eating rules doesn’t mean sweets aren’t allowed. Of course they are, are you crazy? We all need that chocolate fix, but it’s about moderation. So while you might have gone a little overboard over the holidays (and that’s totally okay), it’s time to get back on track. Eat good food, have that small piece of chocolate or cookie once in a while when the cravings strike and you’ll be good to go!
Check out the rest of the #SundaySupper recipes today to help you get on the good eating track for the new year!
- Almond Mocha Smoothie from The Foodie Army Wife
- Chocolate-Covered Berries Green Smoothie from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Citrus DeTox Spa Water from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Peachilious Smoothie from Peanut Butter and Peppers
Blissful Breakfast Items
- Apple Crumble Smoothie Bowl from Try Anything Once Culinary
- Light Eggs Benedict from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Multigrain Scones from The Texan New Yorker
- Nutty Granola Bars from Pies and Plots
- Reduced Sugar Donuts from The Ninja Baker
- Broccoli Pesto from Curried Cantaloupe
- Fava Bean and Avocado Guacamole from Pancake Warriors
- Homemade Snickerdoodle Peanut Butter from Wallflour Girl
- Norwegian Egg Benedict from Brunch with Joy
- Roasted Pumpkin and Chevre Bruschetta from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Spicy Curried Lentil Spread with Winter Veggies from Lifestyle Food Artistry
Savory Soups and Sides
- Butternut Squash and Roasted Red Pepper Soup from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Light Creamed Roasted Vegetable Soup from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Detox Chicken Bok Choy Soup from Nosh My Way
- French Potato Leek Soup from Curious Cuisiniere
- Gluten Free Chicken Pho Soup from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Marinated Tomato and Mozzarella Salad from From Gate to Plate
- Quinoa Mango Pomegranate Spinach Salad with White Balsamic Vinigrette from Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Red Cabbage and Golden Raisin Salad from girlichef
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts and Endive Slaw with Champagne Vinaigrette from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Spinach and Black Bean Ravioletti Soup from Big Bear’s Wife
- Black Pepper Tofu with Black Garlic Sauce from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Fish Steamed with Spicy Couscous from Food Lust People Love
- Greek Style Gyros with Tzatziki Sauce from Nik Snacks
- Kale Pesto with Squash Noodles from Ruffles & Truffles
- Mexican Turkey Cutlets from Magnolia Days
- Meyer Lemon Roasted Chicken Thighs, Fennel & Sweet Potato from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Portuguese Kale Soup from Recipes Food and Cooking
- Salmon with Mushroom Sauce from Cooking Chat
- Skinny Chicken-Leek Pot Pie from The Weekend Gourmet
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Quinoa from Bobbi’s Kosy Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Italian Barley & Sausage from Foxes Loves Lemons
- Tomato Basil Soup with Grilled Pimento Cheese Sandwiches from Food Done Light
- Tomato Goat Cheese Arugula Flatbread from Family Foodie
- Easy to be Green Chocolate Chip Cookies from What Smells So Good?
- Fruit Parfait from Desserts Required
- Maple Pear Scones from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Easy Blackberry Crumble from The Perfect Brownie
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.