Congratulations. It’s Saturday, you’ve made it to the weekend and through ice cream week! Sooo I know I promised you 6 new recipes but a little scheduling hiccup on my end meant I had to skip yesterday. I have a good reason though, really really good. You see, the city of New York requires new food businesses to get an inspection and those inspections need to happen during normal business hours. Therefore I had to book some time in the commercial kitchen space and get to baking some cookies ( and fulfilling a few kickstarter rewards 🙂 ) in order for the inspector to come and check out my operation. Good news, inspection passed. Bad news, one less ice cream recipe for you this week. It’s all good, I’ll just share it with you sometime next month.
How does that sound?
Oh more good news, the Bake Shop will be officially opening for business any day now. ANY DAY.
So I thought the fitting end to this week was to take a breakfast/brunch/weekend treat staple and turn it into an ice cream sundae. People love donuts, they also love coffee ice cream – it needed to be made together.
Now there are some key points to making this sundae really stand out – the first one, go to your favorite donut shop to pick up a fresh batch. I went with Dough here in Brooklyn because they are awesome and they happen to make a Cafe au Lait donut. Bonus. Second either make the coffee ice cream or buy the good stuff (Donna from Cookistry gave us a good recipe this week). Lastly, don’t skip the step in the hot fudge where you steep the coffee beans in the heavy cream. You might not think it gives much of a coffee flavor but it does and it brings this sundae full circle.
With all this in mind. Go forth, buy your good donuts and make this sundae for brunch dessert today!
Our sponsors for the event have provided us with some great prizes. A huge thanks to Cake Boss, Anolon, Microplane,WÜSTHOF, Page Street Publishing and Quarry Spoon. Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and I have tossed in a bonus prize of a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker because we think everyone should own one!
We would like to thank you all our readers for joining in the indulgence this week. Ice cream is always best eaten with friends.
Kim and I would like to thank all the participants and sponsors for joining in the fun. It’s take a village to make this much ice cream!
See you all next year for Ice Cream Week 2015. Be sure to stay tuned for news about Cookie Week in November and Christmas Week in December. Susan and Kim are always up for fun and food. Chow!
Be sure to visit all of today’s Ice Cream Week Participants:
- Baked Alaska by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Coffee and Donut Sundae by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Pinot Noir Ice Cream by The Redhead Baker
- Triple Peach Ice Cream by Cookistry
- Root Beer Float by My Catholic Kitchen
- Ice Cream Shots by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Ice Cream Sundae with Homemade Hot Fudge by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Key Lime Pie Milkshake by Love and Confections
- Caramel Toffee Apple Parfaits by Farm Fresh Feasts
- Orange Creamsicle Float by Noshing with the Nolands
- Gluten Free Ice Cream Sandwiches by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Toasted Almond and Cherry Ice Cream by The Messy Baker
- Gluten Free Toasted Marshmallow Brownie Batter Ice Cream by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Coconut Ice Cream Snowballs by Mother Would Know
- No Churn Low Carb Zesty Citrus Ice Cream by Yours and Mine are Ours