Step in from the cold and warm up with a friend with a big hearty bowlful of Chicken and Corn Chowder.
Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.
Let’s take a quick checklist of some of things that I love about cold weather season.
1. Big warm sweaters.
2. Comfortable riding boots.
3. Cashmere lined leather gloves (my hands get really cold).
4. The smell of wood burning the air
5. Soup. All kinds of soup and at any time of day.
Basically my theme here is that I like to be comfortable and warm and preferably doing these things in front of a roaring fire. So while I can’t always guarantee that I’ll be wearing boots or that a big sweater will be on, I can without a doubt tell you that a bowl of soup will be someplace close.
See I call this time of year soup weather, I mean from cheesy French onion to potato to chicken noodle to a big chowder it is the perfect meal. Just a bowl of it alone fills me up enough for lunch and all I need is a sandwich and a glass of wine to be set for dinner.
We call soup Jewish penicillin for a reason. Okay, it might refer to chicken soup when you have a cold but I think all types of soup provide comfort when you or someone else needs it. It’s one of those meals that always makes enough to feed an army and that is okay with me.
#SundaySupper and Gallo Family Vineyards are sharing our favorite comfort recipes today and we hope that you’ll join in with us to make your own or a new one listed below and share the comfort with someone in need. For me, this is the time of year that I look through all my own old winter clothing and donate it to those who could use it more than me. Just because I’m tired of it doesn’t mean someone else wouldn’t love that big comfortable sweater.
Of course cleaning out my clothing makes me hungry, so it’s a good thing my new favorite soup is so easy to cook up. I once again was inspired by the big soup chain and figured my own version would be even better. This soup is studded with big chunks of chicken, cubes of sweet potato, a touch of bacon and nice and creamy thanks to the pureed corn. That’s right, it’s dairy and gluten-free! Which means that glass of wine absolutely needs to go with it! And just because it’s the winter, doesn’t mean I’ll stop drinking white wine, I love Gallo’s Pinot Grigio and it’s bright citrus notes that go along side the soup.
Gallo continues to help families throughout the year with their Every Cork Counts campaign and you can find out more information on how you can help. To help with the saving of corks here’s a $1 off digital coupon plus a store locator to find the wine. Also be sure to check them out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube and their website.
Comforting Appetizers and Beverages:
- Acorn Squash Cheese Spread with Spinach and Artichokes by Ruffles & Truffles
- Pomegranate Mulled Wine by The Messy Baker
Comforting Entrees, Soups, and Stews:
- Beef and Mushroom Pot Pie by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Beef Goulash by Magnolia Days
- Beef Stew with Puff Pastry by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Cheesy French Onion Soup by Life Tastes Good
- Chicken and Corn Chowder by The Girl In the Little Red Kitchen
- Chicken Parmesan Panini by Casa de Crews
- Classic Swiss Fondue by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- French Onion Soup au Gratin Stuffed Meatloaf by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Johnny Marzetti by NeighborFood
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts Flatbread by Family Foodie
- White Wine Cream Sauce Poached Shrimp by A Mama, Baby & Shar-pei in the Kitchen
Comforting Side Dishes:
- Brussels Sprouts with Bacon, Parmesan and Dates by Shockingly Delicious
- Stuffed Acorn Squash by Jelly Toast
Comforting Brunch, Desserts, and Sweets:
- Baked Pumpkin French Toast by Alida’s Kitchen
- Cheesecake Bites with Red Wine Chocolate Sauce by Momma’s Meals
- Dark Chocolate Red Wine Cake with Red Wine Raspberry Sauce by Daily Dish Recipes
- Gooey Autumn Spice Brownie Cups by Desserts Required
- Pear Streusel Coffee Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement