Welcome to Day 3 of Ice Cream Week 2014! This year the event is hosted by Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and myself! We have teamed up with 25 amazing bloggers to treat you to tons of amazing ice cream recipes. Ice Cream Week is shaping up to be the best week ever!
Our sponsors for the event have provided us with some great prizes. A huge thanks to Cake Boss, Anolon, Microplane,WÜSTHOF, Page Street Publishing and Quarry Spoon. Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and I have tossed in a bonus prize of a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker because we think everyone should own one!
So everyone is familiar with the no-churn method of making ice cream right? I haven’t personally tried it myself but more else it involves some homemade whipped cream and sweetened condensed milk. Folks that don’t own an ice cream maker swear by the method and promise it delivers perfectly creamy ice cream.
One of these days I’ll get around to trying it. Maybe. . .but for now I’m going to share with you the other awesome no-churn method. The version that produces this beauty above, which also happens to double as an ice cream cake.
Semifreddo or rather half-cold is essentially a frozen mousse. It’s irresistibly creamy thanks to the base more or less similar to what you’d make for churned ice cream, except you are folding those cooked egg yolks into whipped cream to keep things light, airy and semi-frozen.
Since this ice cream doesn’t completely freeze fruit filling (un-roasted this time) are perfect and nothing beats the combination of chocolate, cherry and ice cream. As soon as you slice into the semifreddo, the colors pop and the pockets of chocolate and almond throughout are pleasant surprises.
So we’ve got my ice cream for today, let’s see what everyone else is brining to the party.
- Roasted Blueberry Milkshake by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Cherry Almond Chocolate Ripple Semifreddo by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Peach Pit Swirl Ice Cream by Scoop Adventures
- Pumpkin Gelato with Salted Caramel Swirl by The Redhead Baker
- Salted Butter Pecan Brittle Ice Cream by Cookistry
- Lemon Curd Ice Cream by Life Tastes Good
- Pistachio-Cherry No Churn Ice Cream by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Blueberry Frozen Yogurt by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Raspberry Ripple Buttermilk Gelato by Crumb
- Chocolate Cookies ‘n Cream Milkshake by Love and Confections
- Lazy Leftover Fruit Salad Ice Cream by Farm Fresh Feasts
- Apple Cinnamon Ice Cream by Noshing with the Nolands
- Gluten Free Devil’s Food Ice Cream Cake by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Blueberry-Kiwi Lemonade Shake by The Spiffy Cookie
- Caramel Macchiato Soft Serve Ice Cream by Wishes and Dishes
- Carrot Cake Ice Cream by Mind Over Batter
- Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream by The Gunny Sack
- White Peach Ice Cream with Bourbon Caramel by Quarter Life (Crisis) Cuisine
- No Churn Low Carb Peach Ice Cream from Yours and Mine are Ours
- ¾ cup granulated white sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1½ cups bing cherries, pitted and halved
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
- Line a 9x5 loaf pan 2 times with plastic wrap, letting the excess hang over from the sides.
- In a double boiler, whisk together the sugar and egg yolks until the sugar dissolves and the egg yolks triple in size - about 6-8 minutes. The yolks will be plate and frothy once they have tripled in size.
- Using a stand mixer or by hand, whip the heavy cream until it forms medium peaks.
- Carefully fold in half the egg yolks, making sure not to deflate too much of the whipped cream and then the remaining yolks. Scraping down the bottom and sides of the bowl. Gently stir in the almond extract.
- Scoop about ⅓ of the mix into your prepared pan and place ¼ cup of almonds, about ½ a cup of cherries and a drizzle of melted chocolate. Add more whipped cream and build layers, so that you end up with 3 total layers of filling and ¼ cup almonds & ½ cup cherries remaining to top.
- Carefully fold over the excess plastic wrap and place in the freezer to firm up for at least 4-6 hours.
- Remove the frozen semifreddo from the freezer, flip out onto your surface, remove the plastic wrap and top with the remaining almonds and cherries.
- Serve immediately, as it will being to melt at room temperature.
Here’s what is up for grabs, One Winner Takes All:
- 1 Cuisinart Ice Cream Machine in White
- One Cake Boss Mechanical Ice Cream Scoop with Red Silicone grips
- One Cake Boss 4Pc Ice Cream Bowl Set, Icing Pattern
- One Anolon Advanced Bronze 2 Qt Covered Straining Saucepan with Pour Spout
- One Microplane Herb and Salad Chopper
- One Microplane Premium Classic Grater in White
- One WUSTHOF CLASSIC 9-inch Double Serrated Bread Knife
- One Copy of the Cookbook Making Artisan Gelato by Torrance Kopfer
- One Copy of the Cookbook Everything Goes with Ice Cream by Koralee Teichroeb
- One Copy of the Cookbook Vegan Scoop by Wheeler del Torro
- One Copy of the Cookbook The Great Vegan Bean Book by Kathy Hester
- One Copy of the Cookbook Eat More Dessert by Jenny Kellar
- One Copy of the Cookbook The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz
- One Copy of the Cookbook Scoop Adventures by Lindsay Clendaniel