My mom isn’t much of a drinker, we always knew it was a rough day at work when she would come home and open that bottle of white zinfandel that was hanging around the house.
When we went out she might have a glass a wine, maybe a champagne cocktail but the family really knew mom was in the mood for fun when she ordered a whiskey sour.
“Just a splash of whiskey” she would say.
Mom didn’t like her drink strong and well, let’s just say after one she could be a little silly.
With the whiskey sour being my mom’s signature drink, I knew it was the perfect way to honor her for mother’s day this year.
Except I needed to do it my way.
Time for an update on a drink I always considered somewhat old fashioned. I mean, our liquor bottles rarely came out from the basement and even then they needed to be dusted off. Do you see why I associate whiskey with something old?
Whiskey, bourbon, rye – it’s all interchangeable in my house and in my opinion pair fabulously with fruit. Therefore with strawberry season descending right upon this whiskey sour is getting mashed with some chopped fresh berries.
That bottled sour mix? Out the window, make your own with some simple syrup and lemon juice. In about 5 minutes you’ll have a refreshing drink that will become your signature drink this summer.
I already told mom what was coming today and she said she can’t wait to give this at try.
Since no holiday is really complete without a party from my #holidayfoodparty friends, we have thirteen great recipes for our moms and yours.
1. Coconut Cupcakes from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
2. German Apple Cake from Magnolia Days
3. Baked Lemon Pasta with Broccoli and Shrimp from What Smells So Good
4. Cinnamon Pear Cake from Roxana’s Home Baking
5. Strawberry Whiskey Sour from Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
6. Huevos Rancheros from Crumb Blog
7. Triple Lemon Cake from Created by Diane
8. Banana Chocolate Chip Bread from Chocolate Moosey
9. Lemon Thyme Shortbread from Jen’s Favorite Cookies
10. Pineapple Coconut Sweet Rolls from Pineapple and Coconut
11. Caramilk Stuffed No-Knead Brioche from Gotta Get Baked
12. Mom’s World Famous Sponge Cake from Hungry Couple NYC
13. Brown Butter Pecan Fudge Ripple No-Churn Ice Cream from Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- 1oz simple syrup (recipe in notes)
- 1oz fresh lemon juice
- 2 fresh strawberries, diced plus extra for garnish
- 2oz whiskey or rye
- club soda or seltzer
- In a cocktail shaker muddle the strawberries with the simple syrup and lemon juice until the strawberries start to break up and release their juice.
- Pour in the whiskey or rye and shake.
- Pour into a collins glass filled with ice and top with club soda or seltzer.
- Garnish with a fresh strawberry
- Makes 1 cocktail
I like to make a big batch and keep in a jar in the refrigerator.