Strawberry Whiskey Sour

Spruce up a whiskey sour for the spring and summer by adding a dose of fresh strawberries! Strawberry Whiskey Sour will be your go to drink this summer after one taste of this cocktail.

Strawberry Whiskey Sour #HolidayFoodParty from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen

My mom isn’t much of a drinker, we always knew it was a rough day at work when she would come home and open that bottle of white zinfandel that was hanging around the house.

When we went out she might have a glass a wine, maybe a champagne cocktail but the family really knew mom was in the mood for fun when she ordered a whiskey sour.

“Just a splash of whiskey” she would say.

Mom didn’t like her drink strong and well, let’s just say after one she could be a little silly.

Strawberry Whiskey Sour from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen

With the whiskey sour being my mom’s signature drink, I knew it was the perfect way to honor her for mother’s day this year.

Except I needed to do it my way.

Time for an update on a drink I always considered somewhat old fashioned. I mean, our liquor bottles rarely came out from the basement and even then they needed to be dusted off.   Do you see why I associate whiskey with something old?

Whiskey, bourbon, rye – it’s all interchangeable in my house and in my opinion pair fabulously with fruit.  Therefore with strawberry season descending right upon this whiskey sour is getting mashed with some chopped fresh berries.

That bottled sour mix? Out the window, make your own with some simple syrup and lemon juice.  In about 5 minutes you’ll have a refreshing drink that will become your signature drink this summer.

I already told mom what was coming today and she said she can’t wait to give this at try.

Mother's Day Party #HolidayFoodParty

Since no holiday is really complete without a party from my #holidayfoodparty friends, we have thirteen great recipes for our moms and yours.

1. Coconut Cupcakes from That Skinny Chick Can Bake

2. German Apple Cake from Magnolia Days

3. Baked Lemon Pasta with Broccoli and Shrimp from What Smells So Good

4. Cinnamon Pear Cake from Roxana’s Home Baking

5. Strawberry Whiskey Sour from Girl in the Little Red Kitchen

6. Huevos Rancheros from Crumb Blog

7. Triple Lemon Cake from Created by Diane

8. Banana Chocolate Chip Bread from Chocolate Moosey

9. Lemon Thyme Shortbread from Jen’s Favorite Cookies

10. Pineapple Coconut Sweet Rolls from Pineapple and Coconut

11. Caramilk Stuffed No-Knead Brioche from Gotta Get Baked

12. Mom’s World Famous Sponge Cake from Hungry Couple NYC

13. Brown Butter Pecan Fudge Ripple No-Churn Ice Cream from Cupcakes and Kale Chips

5.0 from 2 reviews
Strawberry Whiskey Sour

Author:
Recipe type: Cocktail, Beverage
Ingredients
  • 1oz simple syrup (recipe in notes)
  • 1oz fresh lemon juice
  • 2 fresh strawberries, diced plus extra for garnish
  • 2oz whiskey or rye
  • club soda or seltzer
  • ice
Instructions
  1. In a cocktail shaker muddle the strawberries with the simple syrup and lemon juice until the strawberries start to break up and release their juice.
  2. Pour in the whiskey or rye and shake.
  3. Pour into a collins glass filled with ice and top with club soda or seltzer.
  4. Garnish with a fresh strawberry
  5. Makes 1 cocktail
Notes
To make a simple syrup, bring equal parts granulate sugar and water to boil until the sugar is dissolved. Let cool before using.
I like to make a big batch and keep in a jar in the refrigerator.

Strawberry Whiskey Sour from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen

Print Friendly

36 Comments

1. These would push my Mother’s Day over the top! I’d love sipping on this dreamy strawberry cocktail :)

2. My mother doesn’t drink at all but I’ll have hers because this looks great!

3. Lovely recipe round-up…plenty of choices for a perfect Mother’s Day!

4. Now this would get me drinking a whiskey sour in a heartbeat. Cheers!

5. I’m not a drinker, but my husband’s parents own two bars. Go figure. He’d love this!

• Skip the whiskey and make it a strawberry spritzer!

6. This drink totally sucks me in! I’m such a sucker for a cocktails :)

• That makes two of us! I went through a beer only phase but now I’m back to wanting all the cocktails. :-)

7. This sounds so good. I will have to try it. For your syrup is that equal amounts of sugar and water? Just want to make sure I have it right. Thanks, Tina.

• Thank you Tina! Also yes, sorry it is equal amounts of sugar and water, thanks for catching that. I fixed it in the notes. I didn’t finish writing this until midnight last night and clearly my eyes were a little tired.

8. The color alone would make me want this pretty drink and the Mother’s day round up is lovely!

9. Lol I love that you knew your mom had a really bad day when she’d crack open the zinfandel. How cute that she’d get silly after one drink. This is such a wonderful post and a lovely tribute to your mom, Susan. I bet she’s just as fun loving and awesome as you are. This drink is serious business – as in, it seriously needs to get into my mouth right now. And I’m with you on foregoing pre-made sour mix. Homemade simple syrup is easy and much better.

10. Like someone said around here, the color alone would make me want to drink it.
    I’m not a big drinker myself, but I would love to prepare it to my friends.
    Thanks for the recipe!

11. looks wonderful and I could go for one right now…maybe I’ll wait until noon. I love having simple syrup on hand, it really is way better than bottled!

12. Oh yes. This looks like a fabulous drink for the warmer weather that’s coming our way… I can just see myself sitting in the backyard and sipping on a tall glass of this goodness on a summer weekend afternoon. :)
    (BTW, my mother’s “I’m going to get a little goofy” drink is a gin and tonic. It was a sure sign that she was going to kick up her heels when the G&Ts came out.)

13. Perfect recipe for the weekend. Love it!

14. I love how you honored your mom with her fave cocktail – and the berry twist on it – fantastic! Love the tip re: making your own sour mix.

15. This is such a gorgeous drink, a perfect Mother’s Day offering

16. I freaking LOVE whiskey sours and adding strawberry is genius! My mom was totally a white zin or champagne cocktail drinker too. She will MAYBE have a few sips of a margarita but she really doesn’t drink the hard stuff. But I am a mom and I say bring on the whiskey!! ha ha

17. I enjoy ordering whiskey sours when not ordering a beer or wine. Love your twist with the strawberries!

• I seriously had no idea how many people loved whiskey sours until I put this post up. I think I’m going to capitalize on this (insert evil laugh).

18. Okay seriously, strawberries and whiskey, you’re an evil genius. And I like it.

• I try my very best Kim. I try. :-)

• I’m trying to think what mom isn’t a white zin lady at this point! ha!

19. If there’s one thing I think my mom will enjoy this mother’s day…it’s a good drink. And given that I have about 8 lb of strawberries in my fridge…this feels pretty idea. In fact, I think I shall do some “testing” this weekend…

20. I’m a lightweight when it comes to alcohol too and honestly, I don’t really like the taste of liquor on its own, but I would LOVE this. I wonder if I can just leave this page up on my husband’s computer screen. Maybe he’d get the hint. :)

21. This is a gorgeous drink Susan! I’m much like your mom when it comes to drinks. I don’t like em super strong, and I definitely gravitate towards the fruity varieties. This would be perfect for me!

22. Oh my gosh – YES PLEASE! These are so beautiful and fresh. I have everything to make myself a couple today, too. Perfect.

23. It’s a whiskey sour makeover and long overdue! Great job, Susan, and beautiful photos.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Lemon Thyme Shortbread | - […] and Shrimp from What Smells So Good 4. Cinnamon Pear Cake from Roxana’s Home Baking 5. Strawberry Whiskey Sour …
  2. Browned Butter Pecan Fudge Ripple No-Churn Ice Cream - Cupcakes & Kale Chips - […] Broccoli and Shrimp from What Smells So Good 4. Cinnamon Pear Cake from Roxana’s Home Baking 5. Strawberry Whiskey …
  3. Lemon Cake | Created by Diane - […] and Shrimp from What Smells So Good 4. Cinnamon Pear Cake from Roxana’s Home Baking 5. Strawberry Whiskey Sour …
  4. Cinnamon pear cake recipe - […] and Shrimp from What Smells So Good 4. Cinnamon Pear Cake from Roxana’s Home Baking 5. Strawberry Whiskey Sour …

Submit a Comment