I have the perfect two for one recipe today, because let’s be honest who doesn’t love a twofer deal? A tender, light and berry studded cake that would be perfect with a cup of coffee or tea for breakfast or brunch but once topped with a Moscato zabaione sauce it’s transformed into a restaurant worthy after dinner dessert.
The versatility of this cake is equal to the Moscato from Gallo Family Vineyards that I used to make my zabaione. When you hear Moscato the first thing that comes to mind is a sweet dessert wine but in honor of National Moscato Day #SundaySupper contributors are here to show you that Moscato is more than just an after dinner drink.
Gallo Family Vineyards makes not one but three types of Moscato, a Red which pairs well with light cheeses and spicy food; a Pink which is lighter-bodied, also pairs well with spicy foods and desserts; and finally the well known White – sweet, well rounded and pairs well with spicy Asian or Mexican fair and of course dessert.
I knew from the beginning that I wanted to feature Moscato not just as a pairing but as part of my dessert in a decadent sauce to pour over a fruit based cake. Berries are now in season and pair so well with the sweetness of the White Moscato.
Still in Italian cooking mode from my trip a zabaione sauce was my obvious choice. A custard traditionally made with marsala wine, eggs and sugar is whipped over a water bath incorporating air to make it light and cooking the yolks at the same time. A simple switch with the wines gives the zabaione a beautiful yellow color and fruity taste.
Your arms will get a work out whisking the custard up but the effort is worth it after that first bite. Zabaione should be served hot and prepared right before serving. Some people like to mix their zabaione with fresh whipped cream and serve it cool to keep the texture for longer periods of time.
If you’d like to know where you can find Gallo Family Vineyards Moscato to make your zabaione or to make one of the delicious recipes listed below check out their handy store finder. They are even offering a $1 off digital coupon to help celebrate National Moscato Day and don’t forget to check Gallo Family out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Youtube.
Appetizers and Mains:
- Lemon Rosemary Moscato Chicken by Family Foodie
- Moscato Meatball Skewers by Melanie Makes
- Pork Roast with Peach Moscato Sauce by Magnolia Days
- Pork with Moscato Sauce & Veggies by Momma’s Meals
Beverages, Breakfast, and Sweets:
- Blackberry Bellinis by The Foodie Army Wife
- Blackberry Almond Cake with Moscato Zabaione by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Individual Plum Crumbles with Moscato Syrup by Neighborfood
- Mandarin Orange Tart by NinjaBaking.com
- Mango Moscato Sorbet by Webicurean
- Mexican Chocolate Ganache Cake by MealDiva
- Mixed Berry Moscato Gelees by Alida’s Kitchen
- Moscato Gelée with Strawberry Compote by kimchi MOM
- Olive Oil Cake with Strawberry-Red Moscato Sorbet and Moscato Zabaglione by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Overnight Peaches and Cream Stuffed French Toast by In The Kitchen With KP
- Peachy Apricot Moscato Cake with Moscato Whipped Cream by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pink Moscato Cupcakes + Citrus Moscato Sangria by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Pink Moscato Strawberry Shortcake by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Raspberry Moscato Sangria by The Messy Baker
- Strawberry Pink Moscato Ice Pops by girlichef
- Strawberry Tart with Moscato Lemon Curd by Foxes Love Lemons