Puff Pastry and Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus #SundaySupper

Looking for a simple appetizer to make the most of spring Asparagus?  Try Puff Pastry and Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus for your Easter celebration or springtime picnic.

Curious what my first real sign is that spring has finally arrived? No it’s not the budding trees or flowers poking up from the ground.  Nor is it warmer weather or longer days.  It’s that tender, thin stalked asparagus that has finally arrived in the markets.

If I really had to pick a favorite vegetable, I’d probably choose asparagus (I’m not counting tomatoes because *technically* it’s a fruit).

Like most children out there, I refused to it.  It smelled funny, looked funny and tasted slightly off.  Once again, thank you mom for steaming and not roasting this beautiful vegetable.

Somewhere down the line I ate it out and fell in love with this vegetable.

I will wait all year round until it comes into season and then eat way too much of it.  There is nothing worse than picking up a bunch and finding out it’s tough and woody.

Nothing.

I’ll take it roasted, with pasta, with a poached egg on top, steamed (properly), shaved and now my favorite new way wrapped with prosciutto and puff pastry.

These guys make the perfect appetizer or snack.  In fact as I was baking up this batch I was picturing a poached egg sitting on top a pile of them for the ultimate brunch.

Enjoyed out of the oven or at room temperature you can go ahead and make a large amount ahead of time (or prep and cook before serving) and you’re good to go.  I promise if you make this for Easter next weekend it will be a hit.

Puff Pastry and Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus from The Girl In The Little Red KitchenPuff Pastry and Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen

4.9 from 7 reviews
Puff Pastry and Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus #SundaySupper

Author:
Recipe type: appetizer, snack
Ingredients
  • 1 small bunch asparagus, tough ends removed
  • 3oz prosciutto di parma
  • 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
  • 1 egg + 1 teaspoon water for egg wash
Instructions
  1. Heat your oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Using a pairing knife, cut your prosciutto in half lengthwise.
  3. Wrap the pieces of prosciutto around the asparagus.
  4. Place the thawed, but cold puff pastry on a light floured surface. If there are cracks in the pastry roll it out, so it is one cohesive piece.
  5. Cut the pastry in ½ inch strips and then those strips in half. Only cut for the amount of asparagus you need. 3oz of prosciutto produced 14 pieces for me.
  6. Stretch out the pastry slightly and wrap it in the opposite direction of the prosciutto on the asparagus. Pinch the ends together.
  7. Place the wrapped asparagus on the prepared baking sheet and brush with the egg wash.
  8. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and slightly puffed.
  9. If you have extra puff pastry. Refreeze for another use.
  10. You can exclude the prosciutto to make this vegetarian friendly.

#SundaySupper is enjoying all things that are stuffed, rolled and wrapped today! Let’s take a look at what everyone is making.

Starters and Snacks

Entrees and Mains

All things Sweet

sunday supperJoin the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.

Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement

Print Friendly

54 Comments

1. This is such a fantastic idea. What a great addition to Easter Dinner!!

2. Wow! What a delicious recipe! I too love asparagus and I too eat way too much of it! hehehe I love your pictures!

3. These are absolutely gorgeous! I agree about those skinny little asparagus being the harbingers of Spring …. I need this on my menu today, we’re supposed to get 8 inches of snow starting in a couple of hours. :)

4. This is such a delicious appetizer or snack. Asparagus is definitely my favorite, too. Nom!

5. This is such a great idea! I’m making these this week! I also love the new look of your website! So clean and it really showcases your photos!

6. What a great spring appetizer! I think asparagus and prosciutto together & can’t wait to make this!

7. These appetizers are the best. I love how beautiful they turned out and will be sure to impress your guests.

8. I was just thinking of making these for Easter!! Great recipe, great pictures!!

9. This sounds amazing! I’ll be trying it soon!

10. Could you please come to my house for Easter dinner next Sunday and bring these along? Pretty please….

11. I love prosciutto wrapped asparagus…but now I MUST add some puff pastry to the mix! YUM!

12. Fantastic idea, Susan!! Perfect (and perfectly beautiful) for a party !! Pinning them right now :-)

13. Asparagus is my favorite Spring veggie. I love how you whipped it up in these fun rolls. This is the perfect thing to serve on Easter with a house full of guests.

14. Susan – these are THE perfect, perfect appetizer; actually I think it would be a meal for me as all of them are mine :)

15. Ooooh, Susan! I’ve done the asparagus baked with prosciutto before and I love it, but you have raised this to a new level of delicious with the addition of the crunchy, buttery puff pastry. Lovely!

16. These look so good and I love the thought of puff pastry and prosciutto wrapped around the asparagus.

17. Go team puff pastry! Love it and everything else in this tasty appetizer.

18. These look very, very good.

The idea is fantastic. I will put it on my to-do list.

19. Beautiful! Like more nutritious pigs in a blanket. :)

I can definitely sympathize, I hated asparagus as a kid too. I love it now though, and I think it’s because I’ve learned to eat it in season. I mean, yes, your grocery store may carry it year round, but outside of spring and early summer months, it’s terrible. Just say no!

20. Awwww…these wrap look so delicious! So creative, definitely a fun appetizer twist. Bookmarked!

21. It looks lovely. I always wanted to get some green asparagus, but usually I miss it. I have to put in a little more effort this time.

22. The promise of asparagus is definitely what gets me through the winter some days! I love this wrapped up version. Deliciousness in every bite!

23. These looks easy and beautiful! A fantastic appetizer for Easter!

24. I’m LOVING this take on asparagus. It’s such a perfect side for an easy summer dinner.

25. I love asparagus but it gets even better when you throw prosciutto and puff pastry in the mix!

26. They are just beautiful! I have made prosciutto wrapped asparagus before but never wrapped them in puff pastry! I just can’t be over now nice these look!

27. Ack! Woody asparagus is such a disappointment. I think you’re onto something with the idea of serving a soft fried egg over a couple of these lovelies.

28. We’re so close to asparagus season here in Southern Ontario. I really want to entertain more, and these should be perfect. Thanks for sharing.

29. This is definitely the best way to eat asparagus! Though I like it every which way as well. This would be such a great Easter appetizer!

30. Oohhh I love asparagus and have done asparagus in prosciutto, but this takes it to a whole new level. I would be hard pressed to share!! Pinning to my must make list!

31. I’m sorry I don’t know what happened to that entire plate of beautiful asparagus you left out (wiping mouth with napkin).

32. I’m with you on asparagus. There is a bunch waiting for me in the kitchen…a risotto will happen later;)This would be the perfect starter to go with it!

33. Oh, these look so good! I want to have them on my table for my next spring brunch for sure. Yum.

34. Mmm, what a great spring appetizer idea!

35. These are beautiful and I could use them as an appetizer or a side dish. Thanks!

36. I loved asparagus as a child. But it had to be from the can. Now, I have come to my senses and love fresh even more! I am also super happy I have everything to make these right now in my kitchen.

37. Looks so elegant and fancy! I can’t wait to try this!

38. How gourmet! I love it!

39. What a creative idea. I had prosciutto wrapped asparagus at a party once that I loved but this sounds even better.

40. I wouldn’t need another thing to eat if a plate of these was placed in front of me at the table. So. Perfect!

41. I’m sorry it’s taken me so long to come here and comment, Susan. This past week has been a nightmare. It’s not because I don’t love your dish. In fact, my mouth fell open from awe and hunger when I first saw the photos on social media. Seriously girl – your photos are gorgeous and you’re brilliant for wrapping puff pastry around delicious asparagus and proscuitto. This would be the perfect appy…or dinner in these here parts!

42. I made this tonight with bacon because, bacon.

Came out fantastic, took 18min at 400°F

Thanks.

• You’re welcome! Thanks for the comment and of course bacon!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Puff Pastry and Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus #S... - […] Puff Pastry and Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus | Enjoy springtime asparagus with this easy to make appetizer.  […]
  2. Korean-style Meaty Stuffed Potatoes #SundaySupper - kimchi MOM ™ - […] Puff Pastry and Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen […]
  3. Angel Hair Shrimp Lettuce Wraps #SundaySupper - Family Foodie — Family Foodie - […] Puff Pastry and Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen […]
  4. Salted Caramel Chocolate Cookies #SundaySupper - Alida's Kitchen - […] Puff Pastry and Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen […]
  5. Chocolate Hazelnut Rugelach #SundaySupper - Desserts Required - […] Puff Pastry and Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen […]
  6. Orange Chocolate Swiss Roll for Stuff, Roll and Wrap #SundaySupper | Noshing With The Nolands - […] Puff Pastry and Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen […]
  7. Flourless Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies | Pies and Plots - […] Puff Pastry and Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen […]
  8. Ham and Cheese Crescent “Roll” Stromboli for #SundaySupper - […] Puff Pastry and Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen […]
  9. Chicken Tinga Taquitos with Avocado Cream for #SundaySupper - Savvy Eats - […] Puff Pastry and Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen […]
  10. Vegan Filipino Turon, Banana Lumpia Recipe | Killer Bunnies, Inc - […] Puff Pastry and Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen […]
  11. Celery Root Lettuce Wraps with Beluga Lentils | The Wimpy Vegetarian - […] Puff Pastry and Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen […]
  12. Easy Apple Dumplings #SundaySupper - Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks - […] Puff Pastry and Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen […]
  13. Strawberries and Cream Pancake Roll #SundaySupper » Curious Cuisiniere - […] Puff Pastry and Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen […]
  14. Genoa Salami and Kalamata Olive Calzones #SundaySupper | The Texan New Yorker - […] Puff Pastry and Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen […]

Submit a Comment