Curious what my first real sign is that spring has finally arrived? No it’s not the budding trees or flowers poking up from the ground. Nor is it warmer weather or longer days. It’s that tender, thin stalked asparagus that has finally arrived in the markets.
If I really had to pick a favorite vegetable, I’d probably choose asparagus (I’m not counting tomatoes because *technically* it’s a fruit).
Like most children out there, I refused to it. It smelled funny, looked funny and tasted slightly off. Once again, thank you mom for steaming and not roasting this beautiful vegetable.
Somewhere down the line I ate it out and fell in love with this vegetable.
I will wait all year round until it comes into season and then eat way too much of it. There is nothing worse than picking up a bunch and finding out it’s tough and woody.
I’ll take it roasted, with pasta, with a poached egg on top, steamed (properly), shaved and now my favorite new way wrapped with prosciutto and puff pastry.
These guys make the perfect appetizer or snack. In fact as I was baking up this batch I was picturing a poached egg sitting on top a pile of them for the ultimate brunch.
Enjoyed out of the oven or at room temperature you can go ahead and make a large amount ahead of time (or prep and cook before serving) and you’re good to go. I promise if you make this for Easter next weekend it will be a hit.
- 1 small bunch asparagus, tough ends removed
- 3oz prosciutto di parma
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg + 1 teaspoon water for egg wash
- Heat your oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a pairing knife, cut your prosciutto in half lengthwise.
- Wrap the pieces of prosciutto around the asparagus.
- Place the thawed, but cold puff pastry on a light floured surface. If there are cracks in the pastry roll it out, so it is one cohesive piece.
- Cut the pastry in ½ inch strips and then those strips in half. Only cut for the amount of asparagus you need. 3oz of prosciutto produced 14 pieces for me.
- Stretch out the pastry slightly and wrap it in the opposite direction of the prosciutto on the asparagus. Pinch the ends together.
- Place the wrapped asparagus on the prepared baking sheet and brush with the egg wash.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and slightly puffed.
- If you have extra puff pastry. Refreeze for another use.
- You can exclude the prosciutto to make this vegetarian friendly.
#SundaySupper is enjoying all things that are stuffed, rolled and wrapped today! Let’s take a look at what everyone is making.
Starters and Snacks
- Easy Apple Dumplings by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Endive Stuffed with Blue Cheese, Walnuts and Honey by Shockingly Delicious
- Filipino Turon (Banana Lumpia) by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Arepas de Queso (cheese stuffed cornmeal cakes) by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Chicken Tinga Taquitos with Avocado Cream by Savvy Eats
- Eggy Rice Wraps by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Puff Pastry and Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Onigiri by Brunch With Joy
- Stuffed Pierogie Shells by Seduction in The Kitchen
- Scotch Eggs with Sriracha Dipping Sauce by Run DMT
- Celery Root Lettuce Wraps with Beluga Lentils by The Wimpy Vegetarian
Entrees and Mains
- Rouladen by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Stracci di Antrodoco by Manu’s Menu
- Eggplant Rollatini by MealDiva
- Chicken Cordon Blue by The Foodie Army Wife
- Stuffed Whole Baby Savoy Cabbages by Food Lust People Love
- Chicken Taco Egg Rolls by Table for Seven
- Shrimp Tempura Rolls by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Lemon and Herbed Stuffed Salmon by Nosh My Way
- Tamales de Rajas y Requeson (Roasted Poblano Tamales) by La Cocina de Leslie
- Bademjan Shekam-por – Persian Stuffed Eggplant by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Mascarpone Blueberry Stuffed French Toast by gotta get baked
- Korean-style Meaty Stuffed Potatoes by kimchi MOM
- Strawberries and Cream Pancake Roll by Curious Cuisiniere
- Creamy Goat Cheese Quinoa Stuffed Tomatoes by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Rolled Greek Meatloaf by Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Shrimp Burritos Con Queso by Cooking On The Ranch
- Bee-Bim Bop Sushi Rolls by NinjaBaking.com
- Angel Hair Shrimp Lettuce Wraps by Family Foodie
- Genoa Salami and Kalamata Olive Calzones by The Texan New Yorker
- Zucchini Boats by Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Girl’s Camp Breakfast Burritos by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Crab Louie Stuffed Chicken by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Rustic “Wrapped” Tart with Ramps by Delaware Girl Eats
- Potato Roll Stuffed with Ham and Cheese in Red Sauce by Basic N Delicious
- Ham, Turkey and Cheddar Turnovers by Magnolia Days
- Crispy Chipotle Shrimp Burritos by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Caprese Stuffed Chicken Breasts by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Pizza Pockets by girlichef
- Ham and Cheese Crescent “Roll” Stromboli by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Beef Wellington Braciole by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Greek Salad Wrap by The Messy Baker
- Cabbage Venison Lettuce Wraps With Fresh Herbs by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
All things Sweet
- Carrot Cake Cinnamon Rolls by Chocolate Moosey
- Chocolate Hazelnut Rugelach by Desserts Required
- Chocolate Cake Roll by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cannoli Stuffed French Toast by Momma’s Meals
- Lemon Poppyseed Swirl Cookies by What Smells So Good
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Egg Rolls by Melanie Makes
- Raspberry and Lemon Curd Mascarpone Stuffed French Toast by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Chocolate Chip Banana Sweet Rolls by Big Bear’s Wife
- Orange Chocolate Swiss Roll by Noshing With The Nolands
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Cookies by Alida’s Kitchen
- Flourless Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies by Pies and Plots