Grab your beads, costumes and masks. Break out the fatty foods, the celebration cocktails and your King cake. It’s time to celebrate Fat Sunday. Yes that’s correct, we are having a Mardi Gras party #SundaySupper style and that means bringing it to you two days earlier.
Have you ever been down to New Orleans for Mardi Gras? I’ve never been, actually I’ve never visited New Orleans period. It’s on my travel to-do list for the immediate future. Mardi Gras or rather Carnival is really the party of the year, thousands of people descend not only upon New Orleans but to Rio, Cologne, Venice and many other countries around the world to celebrate.
This celebration isn’t just an excuse to eat and drink but is associated with the day before Ash Wednesday. Eating decadent foods plays a large part since lent begins right after but for many it’s the chance to enjoy good food, company and the elaborate parades.
With New Orleans being the largest and most well known Mardi Gras party it was pretty easy to come up with a fun idea to make today. New Orleans has a rich culinary history bringing us creole and cajun cuisine. While I love to eat it, I’d rather leave making it to the experts. There is an art to making gumbo and frankly I’d rather share my art of taking a cocktail and turning it into a dessert.
I think most of us associate mint juleps with the Kentucky Derby but when I was searching Mardi Gras cocktails this was listed alongside Hurricanes and Sazeracs. We all know I love bourbon so I was sold from the get go.
These bars don’t pack much of a bourbon punch but they are packed with plenty of mint. Whatever you do, don’t skip out on the fresh mint in the shortbread. It adds just the right amount of freshness to keep the medicinal mint taste away that you can sometimes get with extract.
Let’s take a look and see what the rest of the #SundaySupper contributors are bringing to the Mardi Gras party.
Cocktails & Other Beverages:
- The Hurricane Cocktail Recipe from An Appealing Plan
- The French 75 from Kimchi MOM
- Sweet Potato Pie Smoothie from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Fried Oysters and Remoulade from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Shrimp in Mustard Sauce from Noshing With The Nolands
- Mini Sweet Potato Pies from MealDiva
- Cajun Crab Beignets from Delaware Girl Eats
- Pancetta and Mushroom Arancini from Ruffles & Truffles
- Creole Shrimp Po Boy Recipe from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Chicken and Sausage Gumbo from Supper for a Steal
- Sausage & Shrimp Jambalaya from Yours And Mind Are Ours
- Vegan Pizza Waffles from Killer Bunnies, Inc.
- Red Beans and Rice from Cookin’ Mimi
- Baked Catfish Po’Boy from Curious Cuisiniere
- Muffaletta from Casa de Crews
- Bayou Seafood and Andouille Jambalaya from The Weekend Gourmet
- Seafood Gumbo from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Cajun Rice & Beans from Momma’s Meals
- Creole Celery Root Bisque (with Lobster) from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Louisiana Roasted Barbecue Shrimp from Food Lust People Love
- Cajun Dirty Rice Bowls from The Dinner-Mom
- New Orleans Fried Chicken from Family Foodie
- Baked Endive and Pears in Blue Cream Sauce from Shockingly Delicious
- Okra Creole from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Banana Creme Pie with Honey Whipped Cream and Pecan Brittle from The Foodie Patootie
- Chocolate Ganache Tart from Melanie Makes
- Banana Bread Pudding from Gotta Get Baked
- Delicious Saffron Baked Beignets from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- New Orleans Bread Pudding with Caramel Whiskey Sauce from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Polish Paczki from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Buttermilk Beignets from The Messy Baker
- Eggless Bread Pudding in a Jar from What Smells So Good?
- Mint Julep Bars from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Mardi Gras Cupcakes w/ Cinnamon Frostingfrom Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mardi Gras Long Johns from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Mexican Chocolate Coffee Cake from La Cocina de Leslie
- Fasnetküchle from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Cheesecake Swirl Brownies from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pecan and Chocolate Pralines from Desserts Required
- Chocolate Raspberry Cake from Clarks Condensed
- Baked Coconut Beignets from Mess Makes Food
- Ravioli dolci di Carnevale from Manu’s Menu
- Strawberry Paczki from Neighborfood
- Blackberry Fritters from girlichef
- Brownie Chocolate Chip Cheesecake from Magnolia Days
- Flourless Chocolate Cake in a Mug w/ Coconut Cream from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Pecan Bars from Pies and Plots
- “Skinny Tuesday” Bananas Foster Cheesecake Parfaits from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Mocha Pear Cake from Happy Baking Days
- Skinny Baked Beignets from Daily Dish Recipes