Meyer Lemon Old Fashioned

Next time you are in the mood for an old fashioned cocktail, try it with a splash of Meyer lemon juice for a Meyer Lemon Old Fashioned

Meyer Lemon Old Fashioned from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen

The other night I put up a quick poll on my Facebook page to see what recipe people were interested in seeing next from me.  I’ve been planning ahead for my trip to Italy ( we leave tomorrow. TO-MOR-ROW!) and figured I’d let you choose what came first.

Well you guys are little lushes! An overwhelming response came in for this cocktail! Huh, so I’m curious if I said it was a beet cocktail instead of a beet dip would you be more interested?

For the record, I have no plans to make a cocktail with beets. I like eating them, but drinking them.  Well that just goes too far for me. I am not one of those people that can drink their vegetables.

Drinking fruits though. That I can do. Especially when it’s paired with some bourbon.

Meyer Lemon Old Fashioned from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen

With Meyer lemon season dwindling down, now is the time to make this drink! It’s so easy to put together, I’m a little embarrassed to call it a recipe but I suppose you need to know how much of everything to to add.  Yes?

Meyer lemons being sweeter than their cousins the lemon, don’t expect as tart of a cocktail but I what did surprise me was the smokey taste between the bitters, Meyer lemon and bourbon.   I’d almost describe the taste as mezcal minus the spice.  Not bad, but certainly different and unexpected.  I’d be curious to hear your thoughts.

3.0 from 2 reviews
Meyer Lemon Old Fashioned

Author:
Recipe type: Drink
Ingredients
  • ½ teaspoon sugar
  • 3-4 dashes aromatic bitters
  • 1oz Meyer lemon juice
  • 1.5 ozs bourbon
  • 1-2 slices Meyer lemon for garnish
  • ice
  • optional: splash of club soda
equipment:
  • Rocks glass
  • muddler
Instructions
  1. In a rocks glass muddle the sugar, bitters and Meyer lemon juice until the sugar starts to dissolve.
  2. Pour in the bourbon, stir and add ice.
  3. Garnish with 1-2 slices of Meyer lemon.
  4. Finish with a splash of club soda if you choose.
  5. Makes 1 drink

So just because I’m running off to Italy for a week, doesn’t mean I’m leaving you with nothing! Make sure you check back next week for a Chocolate and Peanut Butter surprise – you are going to love it and that aforementioned beet dip!

For more drink recipes, check out my Happy Hour pinterest board below!

Meyer Lemon Old Fashioned from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen

Follow Susan | Girl In The Little Red Kitchen’s board Happy Hour on Pinterest.

Print Friendly

18 Comments

1. Have SO much fun in italy!! I mean, you obviously will because how could you not! In the meantime, I’ll be here slurping on one of these. YUM.

2. I’ve never had an old fashioned. It’s time to change that especially with the meyer lemon in it. I’ve got some in the frig. Friday night cocktail time.

3. I love the use of meyer lemons in a cocktail!

4. A good old fashioned is hard to beat, but you totally upped the ante with the addition of meyer lemon. Can’t wait to try!

5. I’ve also never had an old-fashioned, but this looks so good! (I like whiskey, so I assume I’d like an old-fashioned… Not sure why I haven’t taken the plunge yet!)

6. I’m not a drinker, but this sure makes me want to start. Lol. Lemon anything!

7. Man this sounds good. If I weren’t at work, I’d make one right now.

8. So many things to say. So yes, I obviously LOVE this drink. Beautiful photography. I actually HAVE had a beet cocktail recently, and it was….weird. This coming from a beet lover. Let’s stick to Old Fashioneds. Finally, have SO much fun in Italy (I’m going in the fall, so I’ll need to hear all about it).

9. You know this drink is right up my alley!!! This was my first year experimenting with Meyer lemons and they are so worth all the hype. I am currently out of Bulleit but fear not, I am headed to the store tomorrow to buy another bottle! I am sooooooo jealous of your Italy trip. Drop me a line along your way and let me know what you are up to!!!

10. Mmmm, I can just taste the enjoyment right now. Wonderful.

• Thanks Angie! I had a lot of fun with this one!

11. Yeah.. this is not an Old-Fashioned.. It’s more a type of sour without the eggwhite..

12. How exciting, have a fun trip! This drink sounds great especially with the meyer lemons!

13. We are fresh out of Meyer lemons here so I’ll have to try it with the normal ones and perhaps add just a wee bit more sugar, since it looks soooo refreshing!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. It’s the Linkin’ Weekend! - […] This old fashioned is the perfect cocktail to go into those […]
  2. Meyer Lemon-Vanilla Bean Bourbon Smash - Foxes Loves Lemons - […] original plan was to make Meyer Lemon Old Fashioneds, but my friend Susan beat me to it. She did …

Submit a Comment