Chili is an interesting dish. It’s probably one of the few meals that vary from region to region, gets in a heated debate on beans vs. without (I’m in the without camp) and has cook-offs big and small dedicated solely to it.
I never really grew up eating chili, it just wasn’t something my mom made. We ate plenty of traditional meals found in suburban homes but this was always left off the menu. I’m not sure if it was my refusal to eat beans of any kind (okay scratch that, I do like green beans and chickpeas as long as it becomes hummus) or if mom herself wasn’t a fan. Maybe it’s because we didn’t have a palate for spicy foods.
Whatever the reason, my introduction to chili came late in life and even then it took time to really start to like it. Some people make huge batches every week to stock their freezer with. I probably make it once a year.
Insert our #SundaySupper theme today. Not only are we making chili, we are actually having a virtual chili cook-off where you – yes YOU will have the chance to vote for the best sounding/looking/imagine tasting chili. What does the winner get? A ticket to the Food and Wine Conference in Orlando this summer. Pretty awesome huh?
What’s somewhat interesting about my recipe today is the fact I’ve had the idea for my Asian inspired duck chili for a few years now but it took our chili cook-off to make it! I probably could have shared it when the idea first came to me but I was saving it for the Brooklyn Chili Takedown. Life and lack of time got in the way and well I just never competed the last two years. I can safely say though, I’m really glad I a) finally made this and b) waiting for this competition to share it!
The flavors are incredible unique and different, yet familiar at the same time. The first bite you have that familiar, comforting chili taste. The second bite the Asian inspired flavors start to come out, soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, lots of garlic. You know what I’m getting at. Can you smell it? I wanted to make sure the best part of duck wasn’t wasted here, so I took all that duck skin and made some crispy cracklins to top the chili. It’s an explosion of flavor and texture.
While I know you are clearly going to be voting for my chili (oh which you can do at the Sunday Supper Movement website). Here are the rest of the chili recipes competing in #SundaySuppers first ever chili cook-off!
Will YOU be a part of the #SundaySupper Chili Cook-Off judges panel this week? Voting is live at the Sunday Supper Movement Online Community Magazine starting now and concluding (fittingly) on February 27 – National Chili Day! Browse the submissions and cast your vote by clicking HERE! Beef and Bison Chili
- Bison & Black Bean Chili from It’s Yummi!
- Cincinnati Chili from Savvy Eats
- Easy Beef Bean Chili from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Easy Chili con Carne from Manu’s Menu
- Gesundheit Chili from Magnolia Days
- Hellfire Chili from Yours And Mine Are Ours
- Hoisin Beef Chili from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Moroccan Harissa Spiked Chili from MarocMama
- Short Rib Chili from The Texan New Yorker
- Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Chili from Hip Foodie Mom
Chicken, Duck, and Turkey Chili
- Asian Five Spice Duck Chili from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Buffalo Turkey Chili from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Chicken and Bell Pepper Chili from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chicken Meatball Chipotle Chili from Soni’s Food
- Gluten Free Turkey Chili from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Kickin’ Chicken Chili from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Low Calorie Turkey Chili from Basic N Delicious
- Olé Mole Turkey Chili from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Quick & Easy Chipotle Turkey Chili from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Shockingly Delicious Chili Mole with Red Beans and Raisins from Shockingly Delicious
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Chili from Family Foodie
- Thai Chicken Chili from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- White Chicken Chili from The Foodie Army Wife
Mixed (meat combo) Chili
- Best Damn Chili Ever from Noshing With The Nolands
- Chili con Tres Carne from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Daddy’s Favorite Chili from Momma’s Meals
- Harlem Meatloaf Chili from Neighborfood
- Leslie’s Best Chili from La Cocina de Leslie
Fish and Seafood Chili
- Scrumptious Seafood Chili from A Kitchen Hoor
- Easy Vegetarian Chili with Raisins and Cashews from Delaware Girl Eats
- New Orleans Style Vegetarian Chili from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Vegan Slow Cooker Chili from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Chicken Chili Cheese Fries from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chili Cornbread Cupcakes from In The Kitchen With KP
- Chili Topped Tater Tots from Ruffles & Truffles
- Spicy Chili Mac from girlichef
Best Wines To Pair with Chili #SundaySupper from ENOFYLZ Wine Blog Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.