Did you know that every day of the year is some sort of food holiday? Come on, name a food or drink, I guarantee I will find out what day during the year that is dedicated to it.
I’m not exactly sure how a food becomes a holiday but it does and some of them can be a lot of fun. Take today for instance, it’s National Margarita Day! This holiday even has its own website dedicated to it! Seeing how much we food bloggers love to craft cocktails and put our cocktail ingredients into savory and sweet nibbles, Heather from girlichef gathered a bunch of us together for a margarita party!
The margarita is a relatively simple cocktail made from tequila, triple sec and lime juice. A good one will make your night but it’s quite easy to take this drink into a downward spiral and ruin it. Mixes that are too sweet and cheap tequila will make you swear it off forever.
The history of the margarita is muddy, some say it circulated for a few years in the 1930’s but never with the official name “margarita” others say it involves an American socialite Margaret “Margarita” Sames from the 40’s. It’s doubtful it was actually created on Mexican land but it was definitely in the Southwest/Texas/Southern California. Whatever the history, I think I can safely say for all us we are thankful for the invention. The varieties are simply endless from the original to mixed with fruit to hot peppers.
I for one, couldn’t resist an opportunity to make some macarons out of them. I swapped out the triple sec in my filling with some Chambord for a black raspberry flavor. There is just a whisper of tequila and enough citrus to balance everything out.
Let’s take a look at the rest of the great margarita drinks and bites gathered for today!
- Chili Lime Margarita from Curious Cuisiniere
- Chocolate Margaritas from The Texan New Yorker
- Creamsicle Margaritas from Savvy Eats
- Frozen Mango Margarita from Noshing with the Nolands
- Lilikoi Margarita with Li Hung Mui from The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Margaritas Gone Wild from Delaware Girl Eats
- Mixed Berry Margarita from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Mom’s Wicked Margarita from Desserts Required
- Pomegranate Margarita from Daily Dish Recipes
- Spicy Raspberry Frozen Margarita from The Weekend Gourmet
- Tamarind Margaritas from girlichef
- The Great Grapefruit Margarita from La Cocina de Leslie
- Tim G’s Margarita from Sidewalk Shoes
- Baked Margarita Chicken Wings from Healthy. Delicious.
- Chambord Margarita Macarons from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Margarita Cake with Sugar Cookie Crust from Gotta Get Baked
- Margarita Cheesecake Bars from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Margarita Cupcakes from The Foodie Army Wife
- Margarita Donuts from Big Flavors from a Tiny Kitchen
- Margarita Mousse from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Margarita Shrimp from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Margarita Shrimp Tacos from Supper for a Steal
- Strawberry Margarita Sweet Rolls from The Dutch Baker’s Daughter
- Top Shelf (Margarita) Truffles from Culinary Adventures with Camilla