Welcome to Day #5 of Christmas Week, a multi-blogger event co-hosted by Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Jen from Juanita’s Cocina! Each day we will be celebrating the holidays with a different set of Christmas-themed treats, as well as a fabulous Christmas giveaway. We hope you enjoy this fabulous event. Tune in each day starting today, Monday, December 9th and ending Saturday, December 14th.
Is it me or does chocolate bark have magical powers? Depending on the type you ends up in your hands; with only one bite any craving you currently have can be instantly sated. Salty and sweet, crunchy, fruity, nutty, minty all of those flavors can be made into bark but hopefully not together. I don’t think that would taste very good.
The flavor combination of a turtle is classic and my only goal with this bark was to build on the combination of chocolate, caramel and pecans and make it irresistible to put down. Two layers of chocolate are sandwiched between chewy caramel and pecans with a little extra on top to let you know exactly what you’re munching on. Some coarse sea salt in sprinkled across the chocolate to balance everything out.
Oh if just in case your curious if I succeed in making these irresistible to put down, I most certainly did. This bark makes a fantastic edible gift and about half was sent off to Braden’s aunt and uncle. I’ve baked many a desserts for his aunt and she always raves about some triple chocolate chip cookies I made as wedding favors 5 years ago, well this bark took that top spot. And I quote “that candy beat out your cookies”! Go ahead and make this for your chocolate loving aunt, uncle, cousin, brother, sister, mom, dad or friend.
- 8oz dark chocolate (I recommend 60% cacao)
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ cup heavy cream, room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup chopped toasted unsalted toasted pecans
- 4oz dark chocolate
- 3oz white chocolate
- coarse sea salt
- Line a half sheet baking pan with parchment paper (cut about 8X8 square).
- Melt 8oz of the dark chocolate over a double boiler and let sit for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour the chocolate into the center of the parchment paper and with a rubber spatula, spread out into an even layer to the edges or to your preferred thickness.
- Place the chocolate in the freezer for 10 minutes while you make the caramel.
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat, place the sugar and melt until caramelized and it turns an amber color. With a heatproof rubber spatula move the sugar around as necessary to keep from burning.
- Once completely caramelized, add the butter and swirl until completely melted.
- Stir in the heavy cream and if the sugar seizes, continue to cook until smooth. Mix in the kosher salt and remove from heat.
- Remove the chocolate from the freezer and very carefully pour the caramel over the chocolate, reserving a small amount for the top of the bark.
- Sprinkle the chopped pecans over the caramel - reserving a few for the top and place back in the freezer for about 5 minutes to set up slightly.
- While the bark is setting up, melt the remaining 4oz of dark chocolate over a double boiler.
- Remove the bark from the freezer and smooth the melted dark chocolate over the top.
- Then melt the white chocolate over a double boiler and drizzle in swirly patterns over the top of the bark.
- Finish the bark by drizzling the remainder of the caramel over the top and sprinkling the rest of the pecans.
- Sprinkle about 1-2 teaspoons of coarse sea salt around the top.
- Put the bark back in the freezer to completely set for another 10-15 minutes.
- Once set, remove and break into pieces. Store in an airtight container or package into cellophane bags or candy boxes for gifts.
Visit all the other Christmas Week Peeps for more Holiday Baking Goodness:
- Christmas Fudge by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Peanut Butter Cup Fudge by Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Peppermint Mocha Tart by See Aimee Cook
- Peanut Brittle by Noshing With The Nolands
- Spiced Cranberry Holiday Margaritas by Pineapple and Coconut
- Turtle Bark by The Girl In The little Red Kitchen
- Peppermint Stick Ice Cream Sauce by Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
- Mexican Spiced Hot Chocolate by My Catholic Kitchen
- Pomegranate-Ginger Champagne Cocktail by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Kletzenbrot – Christmas Fruit Bread from Tyrol by Masala Herb
- Spiked Butterscotch Hot Chocolate by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Frozen Mint Cookie Pie by The Messy Baker
- Stuffed Nut Roll Cookies by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Irish Cream Tiramisu by Cooking In Stilettos
- Lemon Sandwich Cookies by Try Anything Once Culinary
- Orange Creamsicle Fudge by Home Cooking Memories
- Stained Glass Window Cookies by Like Mother Like Daughter
- Eggnog and Cranberry Thumbprints by The Dutch Baker’s Daughter
Today’s #ChristmasWeek giveaway comes courtesy of Freund Container & Supply. Freund Container & Supply has been helping build businesses since 1938 as the largest distributor of glass bottles, containers, and wholesale packaging supplies online. Freund offers over 5,000 items in stock every day, 98% same day shipping, and low-price guarantees. Take a look at Freund’s wide selection of jars, tins, bottles and vials for all your crafting and food related needs! Today’s winner will receive one $250 Freund gift certificate, as well as one copy of “The Pioneer Woman Cooks: A Year of Holidays”. To enter, read the details and use the Rafflecopter below!
***This giveaway is for one $250 gift certificate to Freund Container & Supply, as well as one copy of “The Pioneer Woman Cooks: A Year of Holidays”. Gift certificate is a one-time use certificate and must be used in its entirety; any leftover monies on the gift certificate will be forfeited. This giveaway is open to both US and Canadian residents. However, it should be noted that due to current International shipping rates, any Canadian winners will pay higher shipping costs for orders. ***
***Disclaimer: This gift certificate is being provided by Freund Container & Supply, while the cookbook has been provided by Juanita’s Cocina. #ChristmasWeek bloggers have not received product or been compensated as a part of this giveaway.***