Despite this past weekend being my birthday weekend, somehow I managed to spend the majority of it in the kitchen instead of relaxing and letting someone else do the work. If I told you how much butter, sugar and flour I went through your jaw would probably hit the floor. It’s a good thing I have plenty of friends and co-workers that love sweets because I want these out of my house!
Tis the season for giving, is it not? In my opinion the best baked good for giving or even exchanging are cookies and bars, so I made them into one.
I honestly couldn’t help myself this time, I mean your at the store perhaps it might have been Walmart and there are M&M’s all over the candy aisle. What is a girl supposed to do? They are my kryponite, a bowl full of them should never be placed in front of me because they will be gone before you turn around. Not to mention they are the perfect candy to bake with. As soon as I cut into my M&M and Pretzel Cookie Bars, it was a rainbow of colors. That would bring a smile to anyones face and then a bigger smile will occur after they bite into these crispy on the outside, chewy on the outside cookie bars.
So if you please excuse me, I need to package up my cookie bars to mail off to a few friends. In the mean time, check out more great baking and dessert ideas from M&M’s and after the recipe check out the Baking is Better with M Pinterest Sweepstakes.
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 medium size bag Milk Chocolate M&M Candies
- Tiny twist pretzels
- Heat your oven to 350 degrees and line a 9X9 baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream your butter and sugars until light and airy about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time and then the vanilla extract until combined.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix in the flour in two parts.
- Stir in the bag of M&M’s making sure they are evenly distributed.
- Line the bottom of the baking pan with pretzels so they are flat and not over lapping.
- Carefully scoop the cookie down in the baking pan, trying not to shift the pretzels on the bottom. Smooth out the top and make a line of pretzels across the top.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the top is golden brown and toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool completely in the pan before removing and cutting into squares.
- Store in an airtight container for up to one week.
Right now there is an awesome Baking is Better with M Pinterest Sweepstakes going on for M&M’s Pin for a chance to win one of three $250 Walmart gift cards!
It’s as easy as submitting your email and pinning an image. Simply complete the following steps:
- 1. Enter your email in the form below and click “Enter”
- 2. Pin the contest image to any of your own Pinterest boards
- 3. Visit the Baking with M Pinterest board and Re-Pin your favorites to enter http://www.pinterest.com/cbsocially/baking-with-mms/
Three (3) Winners will be selected at random – One (1) entry per person. Contest runs 12/06/13 – 12/31/13