Welcome to Day #3 of Christmas Week, a multi-blogger event co-hosted by Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Jen from Juanita’s Cocina! Each day we will be celebrating the holidays with a different set of Christmas-themed treats, as well as a fabulous Christmas giveaway. We hope you enjoy this fabulous event. Tune in each day starting today, Monday, December 9th and ending Saturday, December 14th.
If you make any cookie for the rest of this year, heck if you many any cookie NEXT year, please make it these. Now I’m not just telling you to make these cookies because I made three versions to get them just the way I want them to be. I’m telling you to make them because they are called BOURBON BARRELS!! 🙂
I was feeling like I was way overdue for another 21+ dessert and seriously, this is the best note to end your year on. A sturdy, yet chewy brown sugar cookie cup is filled with a bourbon chocolate ganache and then it’s topped with more bourbon in it’s salted caramel lid.
I know what you are thinking, it’s a lot of bourbon but trust me the balance is perfect. The first bite is cookie (assuming you take a petite one), the next is cookie, chocolate and some caramel but by the time you get to the center you start to taste some of the bourbon. Not enough to burn the back of your throat but enough to realize it is there and to send a little holiday cheer your way.
- 2½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1½ cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg + 1 large egg yolk, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 6oz dark chocolate, chopped
- 4oz heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon bourbon
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup heavy cream, room temperature
- ½ tablespoon bourbon
- coarse sea salt
- Heat your oven to 350 degrees F. and if necessary spray a 24 capacity mini muffin pan with baking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat the melted butter and brown sugar until well combined about 2 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat until completely mixed in. Add the vanilla extract. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Mix in the flour in two parts on low speed, careful not to over mix.
- Roll the dough into ping pong size balls and place in the mini muffin pan.
- Bake for 12 minutes. After removing from the oven let sit for 2 minutes before pressing down the center of the dough with a dowel to create the cookie cups.
- Remove and let cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough.
- While the cookie cups are baking, heat the heavy cream in a small saucepan over medium heat until it comes to a simmer - do not let it boil.
- Place the chocolate in a medium mixing bowl and pour the hot cream over. Let sit for 1-2 minutes to let the chocolate begin to melt and the stir until the chocolate is completely melted. Stir in the salt and bourbon and place in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes to firm up.
- In a heavy bottomed pot over medium heat add the sugar and melt until the sugar has caramelized and turned a deep amber color.
- Add the butter and stir until completely melted, then stir in the heavy cream.
- If the caramel seizes, continue to cook until smooth. Mix in the bourbon and remove from heat.
- To assemble:
- Fill the cookie cups with the bourbon chocolate ganache and then apply a thin layer of caramel over the chocolate with a small spatula. Finish with the coarse sea salt.
Visit all the other Christmas Week Peeps for more Holiday Baking Goodness:
- Ginger Bears by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Santa’s Favorite Holiday Bark by The Weekend Gourmet
- Gingerbread Linzer Cookies by Chocolate Moosey
- Gingerbread Bread Pudding with Salted Caramel Sauce by See Aimee Cook
- Bourbon Barrels by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Toasted Almond Shortbread by The Messy Baker
- Midori Melon Cupcakes by Ninja Baking
- Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti by Noshing With The Nolands
- Wine Poached Pear and Almond Rugelach by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Bebinca – Layered Goan Cake by Masala Herb
- Artichoke Dip Tarts by Food Lust People Love
- Layered Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Peanut Brittle by Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
- Peppermint Chocolate Cupcakes by The Dutch Baker’s Daughter
- Chocolate Dipped Baked Potato Chips by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Chocolate Hazelnut Cupcakes with Nutella Frosting by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Chocolate Chip Collapsidies by Try Anything Once Culinary
Today’s #ChristmasWeek giveaway comes courtesy of Freund Container & Supply. Freund Container & Supply has been helping build businesses since 1938 as the largest distributor of glass bottles, containers, and wholesale packaging supplies online. Freund offers over 5,000 items in stock every day, 98% same day shipping, and low-price guarantees. Take a look at Freund’s wide selection of jars, tins, bottles and vials for all your crafting and food related needs! To enter to win one of FIVE different Freund gift certificates, read the details and use the Rafflecopter below!
***This giveaway is for five (individually awarded) $100 gift certificates to Freund Container & Supply. Gift certificate is a one-time use certificate and must be used in its entirety; any leftover monies on the gift certificate will be forfeited. This giveaway is open to both US and Canadian residents. However, it should be noted that due to current International shipping rates, any Canadian winners will pay higher shipping costs for orders. ***
***Disclaimer: This giveaway is being provided by Freund Container & Supply. #ChristmasWeek bloggers have not received product or been compensated as a part of this giveaway.***