Memorial Day weekend has always been the unofficial start to summer. The beaches open up, the first waves of people trek down to Coney Island and the parks fill up with the scent of picnics and barbecues.
Mother nature apparently had other plans for us this weekend, as this is probably one of the coldest Memorial Day weekends I can remember in quite some time. The temperature dropped so low, our building put the heat back on Friday evening, brrrrr!!!
In my opinion, this is totally unacceptable for the end of May. I should be outside enjoying the beautiful weather (albeit in the shade, this girl doesn’t like the sun). I should be able to go enjoy my first picnic of the season with my husband and pug instead of being cooped up in my apartment all weekend long!
To make up for the crazy weather all over the country, #SundaySupper is going to enjoy a virtual picnic this week. We have every type of recipe you can think of to last you through the summer.
I’m bring my favorite type of potato salad to party this week, German Potato Salad! Unlike the goopy, mayonnaise laden types, German potato salad has a nice sweet and sour punch from a vinegar heavy dressing and is studded with loads of bacon. Who can say no to that? Plus, you don’t have to worry about it spoiling if it sits to long in the warm weather. I say you have a win-win situation.
- 1½ lbs assorted potatoes or red or yukon gold
- 4 slices thick cut bacon, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- ¾ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup chopped scallions
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- In a medium pot, insert the steaming rack and fill it with water until it just reaches the steamer.
- Cut your potatoes into ¼ inch slices. If the potatoes are large, cut the slices in half.
- Place into the steamer, cover the potato and steam on medium heat until fork tender. About 15-20 minutes.
- In a small skillet, cook the bacon on medium heat until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel to drain.
- Reserve the bacon grease and add the shallots to the pan. Cook until tender, about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the dijon mustard and brown sugar and then carefully pour in the apple cider vinegar and water to the skillet. Mix well and bring to a boil. Cook until reduced by half.
- In a large boil, add the steamed potatoes, bacon, scallions and drizzle the warm dressing over. Toss to coat and season with salt and pepper.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
Salads and Slaws:
- Bacon Ranch Potato Salad from Juanita’s Cocina
- Caprese Spinach Salad from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Chicken Chopped Salad from Table for Seven
- Cold Pea Salad from Shockingly Delicious
- Creamy Potato Salad with Roasted Pears, Cilantro and Romano Cheese from Gourmet Drizzles
- German Potato Salad from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Hawaiian Cole Slaw from Curious Cuisiniere
- Italian Chopped Salad from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Kale Pasta Salad from Hip Foodie Mom
- Mediterranean Pasta Salad from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Mizeria (Polish Cucumber Salad) from From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- PA Dutch Pepper Cabbage from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pineapple Slaw from I Run For Wine
- Spaghetti Salad from Country Girl in the Village
- Tortellini Pasta Salad from Supper for a Steal
Sandwiches and Mains:
- Avocado Chicken Salad Sandwich from Momma’s Meals
- Caramelized Onion, Goat Cheese, and Tomato Sandwich from Magnolia Days
- Grilled Bratwurst and Onion Open-Face Sandwiches from The Urban Mrs
- Grilled Chicken Sandwiches with Green Goddess Sauce from Foxes Love Lemons
- Herbs-Garlic and Parmesan Croissants from Basic N Delicious
- Indian Spiced Chicken Drumsticks from Soni’s Food
- Japanese Picnic Bento Box from The Ninja Baker
- Mini Chicken Salad, Avocado and Cheese Subs from Big Bear’s Wife
- Moroccan Fried Chicken from MarocMama
- Pepper, Spinach and Goat’s Cheese Quiche from Happy Baking Days
- Picnic Basket Buttermilk Fried Chicken from Noshing with the Nolands
- Salmon in a Jar from Healthy. Delicious.
- Smoked Trout Deviled Eggs from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Spam Musubi fromKimchi Mom
- Apricot Oat Nut Bars from Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Dipped Rice Krispie Treat Pops from In The Kitchen With KP
- Cocoa Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Fruit Salad from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Fruit Salad with Honey Port Drizzle from Family Foodie
- Loaded Butterscotch Bars from Vintage Kitchen
- Nathan’s Cookies from What Smells So Good?
- Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Treat Truffles from Chocolate Moosey
- Shandy Popsicles With Raspberries from Ruffles & Truffles
- Texas Sheet Cake with Pecan Frosting from Food Lust People Love
- Triple Chocolate Punch Bowl Cake from Neighborfood
- Fresh Limeade with Chia Seeds from girlichef
- Pineapple Sangria from Growing Up Gabel
- Strawberry Basil Lemonade from The Messy Baker Blog
- Strawberry Lemonade from Gotta Get Baked
- Top 10 Wines for Picnic #SundaySupper from ENOFYLZ Wine blog
- Watermelon Agua Fresca from Daily Dish Recipes
Don’t forget, you can join the picnic discussion on Twitter throughout the day, where we’ll be tweeting and sharing the recipes. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. To join in, just follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets. You can also check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and photos.
Do you know about the Food & Wine Conference sponsored by Sunday Supper? It is Being held July 19th – 21st in beautiful, sunny Orlando, FL. It’s a must for food bloggers. Find out more here: Food & Wine Conference