Happy 4th of July!
The fourth was always one of my favorite holidays as a kid. I don’t know if it was the food, the fireworks or the fact that it finally felt like summer, but we always had a good time celebrating in our house growing up.
As an adult, I still love this holiday, but for a different reason, the 4th of July was the day that I met my future husband! This year will mark 8 years to the fateful day that I decided to head on over to the Brooklyn Brewery for their holiday celebration. He was in a band playing; I was at a table drinking (and eating!) and the rest is history!
When the theme for this weeks #SundaySupper was chosen – Celebrating Fourth of July with Family and Friends, I immediately knew I would participate. However, I had the difficult task of deciding what to make. Do I chose the first meal I ever made for us as a couple to celebrate our dating anniversary or do I continue to clean out my freezer (for room for all that ice cream making!) and make a different dish?
I eventually went with the latter. I can save that first date home cooked meal for a later time. Instead I chose to make something that is as American as apple pie – fried chicken! Except my version is done in the oven, less of a mess and just a little bit better for you. Go ahead, have that second slice of pie or add that scoop of ice cream. 🙂
- 2 pounds skin-on assorted chicken pieces (I used thighs and breasts cut in half)
- 2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- In a large zip top bag place your cut up chicken pieces, buttermilk and cayenne pepper. Seal tightly and shake to distribute evenly, place in a shallow dish to avoid any dripping. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees F.
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator,bring to room temperature and season with salt and pepper.
- Prepare your baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper or aluminum foil, then place a cooling rack on top of it. Spray the cooling rack with non-stick cooking spray or rub with a paper-towel dipped in olive oil to prevent sticking.
- In a shallow dish combine the flour, cornmeal, and panko. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Dredge the chicken in the crust, shaking off the excess and place on the baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, mix together the melted butter and olive oil.
- Evenly spoon the butter on top of the chicken pieces and bake for 45 minutes to one hour or until cooked through and browned. You may want to rotate the pan halfway through if you notice spots starting to darkened more.
- Wrap up your oven friend chicken, enjoy with some slaw, corn on the cob and biscuits on a picnic with some fireworks!
Be sure to check out these other wonderful #SundaySuper dishes celebrating the Fourth of July!
- Tender & Sweet Crockpot Brisket Juanita’s Cocina
- Savory Patriotic Chicken Kabobs Big Bear’s Wife
- Firecracker Salmon Rolls Comfy Cuisine
- Red, White & Blue Grilled Pizza Momma’s Meals
- Baby Back Ribs with Balsamic Peach BBQ Sauce Damn Delicious
- Bubblin’ Brown Sugar Baby Back Ribs In The Kitchen With KP
- Buttermilk Oven Fried Chicken The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Grilled Hawaiian Teriyaki Beef Mrs. Mama Hen
- Cantaloupe and Prosciutto Salad with Perfectly Grilled Chicken and Potatoes Daddy Knows Less
- Texas Smoked Brisket Doggie At The Dinner Table
- Grilled Chicken in a Blueberry BBQ Sauce Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Chicken Burgers with Curried Cabbage Slaw-Indian Soni’s Food for Thought
- Finger Foods for the Fourth Pescetarian Journal
- Grilled Pork Satays with Peanut Sauce Tora’s Real Food
Salads and Sides:
- Southwestern Corn and Black Bean Salad Supper for a Steal
- Roasted/Grilled Asparagus with Parmesan Katherine Martinelli
- Patriotic Ranch Potato Salad The Meltaways
- Roasted Red Pepper & White Bean Salad Are you hungry
- Texas-Creole Crawfish Potato Salad The Weekend gourmet
- Spicy Italian Peppers in Sauce What Smells so Good?
- Sangria Fruit Salad Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Stuffed Black Olive Cookistry
- Mexican Quinoa Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing Dinners Dishes and Desserts
- Low Fat Pasta Salad Basic and Delicious
- Bean Salad with Pickled Vegetables Diabetic Foodie
- Fourth Sticks In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Tomato and Mozzarella Appetizer Family Foodie
Fabulous Pairings by Martin from ENOFYLZJoin us this week! We’ll share these fabulous recipes and want you to share yours with us! The fun starts at 3pm EST and lasts all afternoon. At 5:30 pm EST, we will be available to chat with you. All you have to do is follow the hashtag #sundaysupper on twitter or follow along on TweetChat. Our #SundaySupper Pinterest Board will be filled with fabulous family recipes. There is always room Around the Family Table for you.
- Red White & Blueberry Ricotta Cupcakes Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Red Velvet Brownies Magnolia Days
- S’mores Pastries Daily Dish Recipes
- Red, White and Blue Firecracker Cupcakes Chocolate Moosey
- Caramel-filled Vanilla Cupcakes with Vanilla Bean Buttercream The Messy Baker
- Strawberry and Cream Cake Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- White Chocolate Berry Tart Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Red White and Blue Coconut Rum Cake Family Spice
- Individual Red White and Blue Triffles Chelsea’s Culinary Indulgence
- Mini Carrot Cakes Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Plum and Apple Pies Cositas Bonitas