A little gooey, a little crunchy and with just a touch of sea salt – Pecan Butterscotch Blondies with Sea Salt are the perfect treat.
Happy New Year! Did you have a good one? Ready to kick off 2013 with a bang?
I think I’m still recovering from New Year’s Eve – I really need to remind myself that I’m too old to stay up that late anymore without at least 2 days for recovery. Ah, well it’s only once a year right?
So, I know what you are thinking right now. Did she really just give us a recipe for blondies only 3 days into January? How am I supposed to keep my resolutions when you present buttery, gooey, nutty deliciousness?
Well. To be fair, I made these before the New Year and second even if you are trying to lose that holiday poundage (I know I am!); I always say no successful diet will happen if you deny yourself what you want.
We can eat as healthy as we want, but when you are craving a piece of chocolate or a cookie, just go for it. Don’t eat a giant portion, but a little bit will do you some good. Depriving yourself will just make you binge and fall off the wagon later on.
I know these blondies look irresistible. They are, the smell that wafts out as you bake them will immediately get your mouth to water. A little touch of sea salt on the top helps break the overwhelming sweetness that you can get from all the brown sugar and butterscotch chips.
The best part about these? You can mix everything by hand and from start to finish they are done in about 35 minutes (not including cooling time). Perfect to throw together for that unexpected guest.
I browned my butter for a lovely buttery, nutty aroma. You can do the same or just mix in simple melted butter.
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 3/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees F. and line a 8X8 baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a small saute pan on low heat, melt the butter until it begins to foam, swirling the pan occasionally. Continue to cook until little brown specks appear on the bottom, the butter will produce a nutty aroma and remove from the heat once it is golden brown to cool.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the browned butter, brown sugar, eggs (one at a time) and vanilla extract with a wooden spoon.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add to the wet ingredients in 2 parts, careful not to over mix.
- Add the butterscotch chips and pecans and mix well. Pour the batter out onto the prepared baking pan and evenly spread out with a spatula.
- Sprinkle the top with the sea salt and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown and begin to pull away.
- Let cool completely before removing and slicing.
Oh, and I do recommend sharing a piece with a friend, or at least cutting them smaller than I did. These guys are heavy and just a few bites will put you in a happy place.
Sweet mother of all mothers, those look incredible – printing this out!
Yayyy minimal dirty dishes!! 😛
These look super duper yummyrific. My mom would really love these, I bet–she’s a big fan of butterscotch and doesn’t like chocolate (I know…how did I come from that woman!?) and of course sea salt is always goodness.
And look at us with out pretty buttons on each other’s blogs 😀
just bookmarked this, they look absolutely incredible!! i love butterscotch, and i love that you browned the butter – YUM!!
Pingback: 10 Awesome Tailgating Recipes - The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen