Confession time. For the longest time I refused to eat cooked apples. In all honesty, I refused to eat any cooked fruit.
I don’t know what it was, the texture, the fact that it was warm, but I just didn’t like it. Therefore up until the last year or so I didn’t really appreciate pie. I know, PIE. If pie was around me, I’d eat the crust and leave the rest.
Then something changed, call it maturing (I refused to say getting older), but I started to like cooked fruit. The mushy apples didn’t bother me as much. Pass over that apple pie. Apple cake? Sure, I’ll have a slice! Homemade applesauce? You bet! The jarred stuff? Eh, still not a fan, too sweet and baby foodish for me.
Fall is in the air and apples are finding their way into my CSA basket. I love apples, and now I don’t mind cooking with them.
|Apple Walnut Coffe Cake #SundaySupper||
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1¼ cups whole milk
- 1 lb. apples, peeled, cored and cut into ½ inch dice
- ¾ cup toasted walnuts, chopped
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons cocoa powder
- Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees and grease and flour a bundt pan.
- Using a stand or hand mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and airy – about 2-3 minutes
- Add the eggs one at a time until well combined and then whisk in the vanilla extract.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and soda, and salt.
- Alternating between the dry ingredients and the milk in three parts – starting with the dry, beat together until combined, careful not to over mix.
- In a small bowl, combine the filling for the cake, stir together the walnuts, remaining ½ cup sugar, cinnamon and cocoa powder. Set aside.
- To build your cake, spoon about ¼ of the batter into the bottom of your bundt pan. Spread ½ of the apples around the batter and add another ¼ of batter. Scatter the walnut mixture over the batter, then more batter (it will be difficult to smooth out, it is okay if it isn’t perfect). Finally, add your remaining apples and smooth the remaining batter on top.
- Next take a long skewer and insert it into your cake batter and carefully make small swirls – this will give you the lovely swish once the cake is baked.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, insert a toothpick to test that the cake is done.
- Let cool completely before inverting the cake from the bundt pan onto a platter.
Happen to have an abundance of apples sitting in your pantry or plans to go apples picking? No fret, here is a long (and I mean long!!! ) list of apple recipes to keep you company.
Soups, Salads, Starters and Breads
- Cinnamon Apple Chips- Shockingly Delicious
- Apple Celery Salad- In the Kitchen with Audrey and Maurene
- Mini Apple Pumpkin Pancakes – The Daily Dish Recipes
- Overnight Apple Cinnamon French Toast- In the Kitchen with KP
- Curried Apple and Leek Soup-Soni’s Food for Thought
- Endive Spears Topped With Apple, Blue Cheese and Hazelnut Salad- The Hand That Rocks the Ladle
- Homemade Apple Jam – My Trials in the Kitchen
- Caramel Apple Butter Cheesecake Dip- Chocolate Moosey
- Caramel Apple Bread – famfriendsfood
- Apple Pie Bread Baker Street
- Apple, Bacon & Brie Popovers- I Run for Wine
- Apple and Almond Brie Puff Pastry- Family Foodie
- Apple, Leek and Gruyere Tarts- There and Back Again
- Slow Cooker Honey Apple Pork Loin- The Meltaways
- Apple-Glazed Meatballs- The Messy Baker
- Apples & Buttons (Ham, Apples and Dumplings)- Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Skillet Pork with Sweet Spiced Apples- Mama Mommy Mom
- Chicken Apple Meatloaf with Tarragon Tomato Sauce – Diabetic Foodie
- Baked Tilapia Apple Crisp- Daddy Knows Less
- Pork Tenderloin with Calvados Cream Sauce Sustainable Dad
- #SundaySupper Pulled Pork Sandwich With Pickled Red Onions Kwistin’s Favorites
- Harvest Rice- Webicurean
- Wild Rice with Apples, Dried Cranberries, and Walnuts – Ruffles and Truffles
- Apple Topped Sweet Potato Mash- Momma’s Meals
- Warm Spice Pecan Raisin Apple Chutney- Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Double Apple Pot Pie- What Smells So Good?
- Apple Walnut Coffee Cake- The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Apple Streusel Cobbler- Big Bear’s Wife
- Apple & Moroccan Cinnamon Gooey Sticky Buns- Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Spiced Caramel Apple Pie-Chelsea’s Culinary Indulgence
- Apple Pear Kuchen for #SundaySupper (Apfel Birnen Kuchen)- Galactosemia in PDX
- Apple Strudel - Magnolia Days
- Old Fashioned Apple Crisp with Caramel Sauce-Noshing with the Nolands
- Apple Cheesecake- Vintage Kitchen
- Caramel Apple Crumble Bars- Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
- Apple Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting- From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Cinnamon Apple Dessert Chimichangas- Juanita’s Cocina
- Nutella Apple Quesadilla- Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Apple Crisp Ice Cream- Cravings of a Lunatic
- Bavarian Apple Torte- The Lovely Pantry
- Streusel Apple Crumb Pie + Pie Freezer Kits- Meal Planning Magic
- French Apple Cobbler with Cinnamon-Maple Whipped Cream Weekend Gourmet
- Chunky Apple-Apricot Bread Pudding- Comfy Cuisine
- Apple Butter Spice Cake – Home Cooking Memories
- Apple Pie and Custard- Happy Baking Days
- #GlutenFree Deep Dish Carmel Apple Pie- Cooking Underwriter
- Apple Brownies That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Country Apple Dumplings- Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Apple-Gingersnap Cookies- Tora’s Real Food
- Apple and Cranberry Turnovers- Flour on my Face
- Applesauce Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake with Caramel Glaze- Hip Foodie Mom
- Caramel Frosted Apple Cookies- No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Apple and Pecans Cake- Basic N Delicious
- Apple Pull Apart Monkey Bread- Gotta Get Baked
Please be sure you join us on Twitter throughout the day during #SundaySupper. We’ll be meeting up at 7:00 pm (Eastern) for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat where we’ll talk about our favorite apple recipes! All you have to do is follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, or you can follow us through TweetChat! We’d also love to feature your apple recipes on our #SundaySupper Pinterest board and share them with all of our followers!