Do you ever get an idea in your mind for a recipe and think this is genius?! ”It is going to work so well, I can’t wait to try it out!“
Then you do. . . and it fails completely.
This totally happened to me this weekend, and I was so upset about it, hubs couldn’t even get me to have an alternate dessert.
It all started because I couldn’t find the right soda – I was in search of lemon-lime soda in a bottle. Not sprite. Not 7-up. But fancy lemon-lime soda. Five stores later and nothing, plenty of ginger beers and ales in a bottle, no lemon-lime. So I settled for the ginger ale, hoping it wouldn’t be too spicy.
Boy was I wrong, I barely took one sip before I needed it out of my sight. I don’t know if it was the spiciness of the ginger ale or the tartness from the limes in my sorbet, but my hopes of creating a cherry lime rickey float flew out the window.
Not to let a completely good sorbet go to waste, I’ll just share this as is. Lets just picture us sitting in an old fashion soda shop sipping on a tall freshly made cherry lime rickey. Of course, I’m not talking about the type with gin in it, but the one made with lemon-lime soda and sweet cherry syrup topped with a couple of maraschino cherries! I’ve always had a soft spot for them and figured it would make a fun reinterpretation.
|Cherry Lime Rickey Sorbet||
- 3 cups fresh sweet cherries, pitted
- ½ cup fresh lime juice (about 3 limes)
- peel from 1 lime
- ¼ – ½ cup granulated white sugar
- In a small saucepan bring to boil the cherries, lime juice, peel and sugar.
- Let cook 5-7 minutes until the sugar is dissolved and the cherries begin to just break down.
- Remove the lime peel and let cool.
- Puree in a blender or with an immersion blender. You may run the puree through a sieve to get rid of the cherry skins or continue on to the next step.
- Churn in your ice cream maker for 15-20 minutes until frozen.
- Place in a freezer safe container until completely set.
- Serve with additional fresh cherries on the side.
This isn’t the last of the frozen treats either! Be sure to check back here on Friday July 20th when I do a big ice cream round up celebrating National Ice Cream month. I have some amazing recipes from members of the Food Bloggers Network!