My mom lives out of state, so if it wasn’t for all the Mother’s day cards gracing the Duane Reade’s I’d fear I would almost forget it nowadays. I can’t remember the last time we were actually together on Mother’s day (no guilt Mom, none at all ). However, I love my mom too much to actually forget everything she does for me despite our distance.
While I can’t be there to cook her brunch, I can cook it virtually. This year I had no idea what to make her, so I just asked! Mom, I said one day on the phone, what recipe do you want me to create for you for Mother’s day? It took her a few days, but finally she came back to me with seafood quiche. Full of shrimp, crab, and scallops this is the perfect quiche to cook up for your brunch today. I hope you like it mom, I sure did!
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons, cold unsalted butter, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 5-6 tablespoons cold water
- ½lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined, quartered
- ½lb Bay scallops or Dry Sea Scallops – quartered
- ¾ cup claw crab meat
- 1 large shallot, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1 cup gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1 cup half and half
- 4 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt and pepper
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the flour, sugar and salt. Using a pastry blender, two knives or your hands add the butter – 2 tablespoons at a time and blend until the mixture looks like pebbles.
- Dribble in the water until the dough just comes together, make sure there are no dry patches and it easily forms into a ball. You may not need all the water.
- Place on a lightly floured piece of plastic wrap, pat into a disk and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Dough can be made ahead of time.
- Once the dough is chilled, roll the dough between two pieces of floured plastic wrap until it is ¼ inch thick and 10-11 inches in diameter.
- Remove the top layer of the plastic wrap and transfer it to a 9 inch pie plate. Remove the other layer of plastic wrap and press the dough into the pie plate. With the tines of your fork, prick the dough all over.
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees F. and once warm par-bake the dough for 15 minutes.
- Increase the temperature of the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the quartered shrimp, scallops, crab, shallot, parsley, and gruyere cheese minus 2 tablespoons.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the half and half, eggs and salt and pepper. Pour it over the seafood mixture and combine well.
- Carefully pour the seafood custard into the par-baked dough and sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons of cheese over the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the top of the quiche and crust are golden brown. Let set for 5 minutes prior to serving.
- Quiche will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Mother’s Day Brunch:
- Blueberry Coffee Cake from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Cornbread Pancakes with Blackberries from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Crepes from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Hot N Sweet Mango Chutney from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Lemon Glazed Raspberry Scones from Juanita’s Cocina
- Quiche Lorraine from Supper for a Steal
- Seafood Quiche from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Strawberry Rhubarb Compote from Noshing with the Nolands
- Sweet French Breakfast Crepes from Curious Cuisiniere
- Vidalia Onion Quiche from Comfy Cuisine
Mother’s Day Entrees:
- Cod with Stewed Tomatoes from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Grilled Vegetable Sandwiches with Herbed Goat Cheesefrom Foxes Love Lemons
- Lemon Risotto from Healthy. Delicious.
- Lobster Ravioli with Shrimp Caper Sauce from Family Foodie
- Pork dumpling (Shumai) from The Urban Mrs.
Mother’s Day Sides:
- Spaetzle from Magnolia Days
Mother’s Day Desserts and Drinks:
- Caramel Apple Cinnamon Rolls from Gotta Get Baked
- Chocolate Kahlua Cream Pie from Ruffles & Truffles
- Espresso Brownies from What Smells So Good?
- Fresh Blackberry Elderflower Sorbet from Shockingly Delicious
- Fresh Fig and Walnut Pie from Vintage Kitchen
- Gluten Free Coconut Cake with Chocolate Ganache, Berries, and Fresh Whipped Cream fromNeighborfood
- Lavender Shortbread Cookies from girlichef
- Lemon Meringue Pie from Pies and Plots
- Lemon Petit Fours from Home Cooking Memories
- Lemon Sorbet in Prosecco from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Milky Way Brownies from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mini Coconut Pies from La Cocina de Leslie
- Mini Strawberry and Cheese Pies from Basic N Delicious
- Mom’s Apple Crisp from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Mom’s Texas Sheetcake from Daily Dish Recipes
- Raspberry and Hazlenut Friands from Happy Baking Days
- Semolina Balls (Suji Laddoo) from Soni’s Food
- Too-Good-to-Be-Lowfat Chocolate Eclair Icebox Dessert from The Weekend Gourmet
Don’t forget to join the #SundaySupper chat on Twitter today to celebrate Mother’s Day! We’ll tweet throughout the day and share our delicious recipes. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and food photos.
Do you have your ticket to the Food and Wine Conference yet? If not, there will be a special $100 discount available tonight only on the full conference pass if you participate in the #SundaySupper twitter chat from 7 to 8pm Eastern Time, and purchase your ticket during the chat. The discount code is: SundaySupper. We hope to see you there!