Kick up your meatballs with one easy and special ingredient – hummus! Once you try Chipotle Hummus Meatballs, you’ll never go back to your old meatball recipe again!
Can I get three cheers for Friday?! Actually, can I get a bonus cheer because it’s National Hummus Day?!
I’ve never been able to figure out who actually comes up with the national food holidays or if anyone can actually declare a specific day a food holiday but I really do love them. It’s a fun way to change up what you eat for the day because it’s shrimp day, cheese day or chocolate chip cookie day.
Not that I really need a specific day to tell me to eat any of these foods, I’ll happily enjoy them at all times. Especially hummus.
I honestly believe that hummus might be one of those perfect foods that have so many creative uses it’ll take a lifetime before you try each one!
Let’s think about it, hummus is great at breakfast, as a snack or your unofficial meal, on some wings and now we are putting it into our meatballs.
Oh yes, you heard right. The hummus goes IN the meatballs. Get ready to have some of the best meatballs of your life and it’s all thanks to the very special and not so secret ingredient of Sabra Hummus.
I totally get it if you see that tub of Sabra and think where are the pitas, it’s snack time. However, trust me when I say that cooking with hummus is life changing. Not only does it add moisture to the food but it’s a boost of flavor and gives a little crackly hummus crust to the outside of whatever you use it in. This right here is a triple threat!
These Chipotle Hummus Meatballs are so easy to make too, all it takes is about 30 minutes of your time for a great start to your unofficial meal, a simple appetizer or my preferred way on top of some mini toasted naan with extra hummus and a healthy dollop of tzatziki sauce.
The best part? You can change up the flavor to whatever mood strikes your fancy. I personally love that little bit of heat from the chipotle hummus, which gets offset by the sweetness of the onions in the meatballs and cooling tzatziki sauce.
Before you get cooking, make sure to stop by Sabra’s website and grab a $2 off coupon to enjoy your Hummus Day. Coupon is valid only on 5/13/16 until midnight to midnight EST.
To learn more about Sabra visit them on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.
This post is sponsored on behalf of Sabra. As always all opinions are my own and thanks for supporting brands that I work with.
- 12 ounces ground beef
- 8 ounces ground pork
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup chipotle hummus (such as Sabra)
- 1/3 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup Greek Yogurt
- 1 English Cucumber, peeled, grated and drained of excess liquid
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- To serve: mini naan, plus extra chipotle hummus
- Heat your oven to 400 degrees F. and line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- In a large boil combine the ground beef, pork, onion, garlic, hummus (making sure to scoop up the chipotle topping), breadcrumbs, egg, salt and pepper. Mix together well with your hands or a spoon and then with wet hands grab 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons worth of meat and roll into meatballs placing on the prepared baking sheet.
- Once all the meatballs have been formed, drizzle the olive oil over top and bake for 20 minutes or until browned on the outside and no longer pink throughout.
- Let cool for about 5 minutes before removing from the baking sheet.
- While the meatballs are baking, prepare the tzatziki.
- Mix the yogurt, drained cucumbers, minced garlic, salt, dill, lemon juice and olive oil in a small bowl.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- To serve: Spread some hummus on the mini naan, top with 2-3 meatballs and a dollop of tzatziki.
- Alternatively, serve the meatballs on the side with the hummus, naan and tzatziki to dip.