Creamy avocados mixed with Greek yogurt and tomatillos make the perfect dip for any Cinco de Mayo or summertime party. Grab a big bag of chips because this Avocado Tomatillo Dip is going to go fast!
This post is sponsored on behalf of VEEV Spirit. As always all opinions are my own and thank for supporting brands that I work with.
I kid you not, I’m pretty sure my favorite savory food combination is chips and dip. I can’t resist the pairing of salty chips and any sort of dip, whether it be salsa, onion, hummus, guacamole or where ever your imagination might take you.
It’s always been that way too, at parties when I was kid I would plant myself in front the dip. As a teenager my best friend and I would have movie night and it had to include chips and dip. In my single girl days I’d eat it for dinner . . .okay maybe I shouldn’t have admitted that one but shamefully it’s true.
I love dip. I love to come up with new dips and it’s even better if they aren’t too unhealthy for you, so you can eat it for dinner. You know, not that I condone that sort of behavior anymore. This time around though, this dip is for a party – call up your chip and dip loving friends because they are going to want to join in for this one!
Cinco de Mayo is next week and instead of serving up your usual pico de gallo, salsa or guacamole cheat on it.
Just a little.
Avocado Tomatillo Dip is essentially a love child of guacamole and tomatillo salsa with a little Greek yogurt tossed in for extra tang and to make it more dip-able. Plus the dip is easy to prepare, it’s perfect for last minute get togethers. A quick roast in the oven of your tomatillos and then everything goes into the blender.
This is perfect not only for tortilla chips but a platter full of vegetables as well. You don’t need any other dips this time, I promise this will do the trick!
Of course, no Cinco de Mayo celebration is really complete with a cocktail in hand, right? That’s why I made you a Strawberry Kiwi Margarita with all-natural VEEV Spirit.
However if we are going with the easy no-fuss, no-muss aspect of party planning then you need to try VitaFrute Cocktails by VEEV. You know I normally like to craft the cocktails myself but this is perfect when it’s not an option, VitaFrute is certified organic, all-natural and ready-to-drink. Did I mention it’s only 125 calories per serving?!
They already have a margarita line ready for your party, it’s made with VEEV Spirit and blended with tequila, fresh lemon and lime juices and agave. Just add ice and clink classes with your friends!
- 4 medium tomatillos, outer husk removed
- 1 medium onion, halved
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 ripe Hass avocado
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- juice from 1 lime
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- Turn on your broiler or heat your oven to 450 degrees and place the tomatillos, onion and jalapeno on a baking sheet.
- If using the broiler, place the pan under the broiler and broil about 5-6 minutes per side or until the tomatillos are charred. If roasting in your oven, roast for about 20 minutes or until the tomatillos are soft and browned on the outside.
- Remove and place in your blender. Puree until smooth.
- Add the avocado, cilantro, lime juice, salt, cumin and cayenne pepper. Puree until smooth and then add the greek yogurt. Puree again. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Place in the refrigerator to cool completely before serving with tortilla chips or a vegetables.
- Store extra in an airtight container in your refrigerator for 3-4 days.
This is the kind of dip that I can devour all by myself in on sitting!!
Love your addition of Greek yogurt. I bet that makes your dip extra creamy!
This looks super tasty! I love tomatillos! Pinned
Love the combo of margarita to drink and a creamy avocado dip to snack on! Plus, Greek yogurt all the things! Love it!
I may or may not have eaten chips and dip for dinner before, especially when a certain cheese dip is poured over nachos. I mean if it’s served on a plate, it’s dinner right? 😀 I love tomatillos and will have to keep an eye out for VEEV.