Did you know that there is a food holiday for almost every day of the year? Some of them are really bizarre too. Melba toast day? Anisette Day, Escargot Day, Split Pea Soup Week – I could go on. However, one food doesn’t just get it’s own day but it’s own MONTH and rightly so as it’s one of the best and most comforting foods out there.
Have you guessed? I hope so because April is National Grilled Cheese Month!
To celebrate, Gallo Family Vineyards tasked us with the job of coming up with some mouthwatering grilled cheese sandwiches for you to enjoy all month long.
A fun task indeed and one I think we were successful in achieving.
Sure you could put some cheese between two pieces of bread, fry it up and call it a day but is that really a satisfying dining experience? Perhaps back in the day when I was a starving college kid but these days my grilled cheeses need to have depth of character and a better cheese than American deli slices.
Let’s talk about how to build the perfect grilled cheese, shall we?
- First off the bread: It’s a more important component than you realize. Flimsy bread will not hold up to the ingredients you are piling on. Plus you want something with heft and that tastes good. Bake up your own loaf or pick up on at your bakery or farmer’s market. I suggest a San Francisco style sourdough. Slice it thick.
- Next up your toppings: We need something to compliment the cheese, caramelized onions and mushrooms add a touch of sweetness and earthiness to the cheese of choice. It mellows out the saltiness and any palate fatigue you might feel from eating a bunch of melted cheese (wait I don’t think that actually happens 🙂 ). The arugula is optional but I like the added green and bitterness it adds. Plus you aren’t cooking the sandwich long enough for it to wilt too much.
- Butter: Butter the outside AND the pan. This is my method. While your onions and mushrooms are cooking let your butter come to room temperature. It’ll make spreading it on the outside of your bread much easier. Melt more in your frying pan to make sure every nook and cranny gets cooked up, crispy and golden brown from the butter.
- The cheese: THE CHEESE! For starters pick the right cheese! I know what I wanted to use for my sandwich but I still asked my cheesemonger to be sure. His suggestion and what I wanted was correct, we use gruyere. It’s nutty and a little funky and pairs well with sweet onions and mushrooms. Grate your cheese! This will guarantee melty goodness throughout the sandwich without having to overcook and burn the bread.
Of course we can’t really talk about cheese and not talk about wine! The two go hand in hand and after you’ve put all that time into creating this masterpiece of a grilled cheese sandwich, you should sit down with a glass!
This time around I decided on Gallo Family Vineyards Sauvignon Blanc. It’s a light-bodied, medium sweet wine and really enjoyable to drink during the day. There is a light finish, with notes of citrus and melon and apple. I thought it paired nicely with the gruyere and didn’t overwhelm.
Let’s check out the rest of the grilled cheese recipes our #SundaySupper contributes created today!
- Apple, Prosciutto and Gruyere Grilled Cheese by Hip Foodie Mom
- Berry Chocolate Panini Sandwich with Wine Reduction Sauce by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Brie, Ham, and Blackberry Grilled Cheese by Healthy. Delicious.
- Cafe Zinfandel Caramelized Onion Grilled Cheese by In The Kitchen With KP
- Caramelized Onion, Mushroom & Arugula Grilled Cheese by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- French Onion Grilled Cheese by Family Foodie
- Funky Monkey Grilled Cheese Sammie by The Messy Baker
- Greek Salad Grilled Cheese by Ruffles & Truffles
- Grilled Cheese & Bison Sandwiches by The Foodie Army Wife
- Grilled Goat Cheese w/ Tomatoes & Tarragon on Olive Bread by girlichef
- Grilled Mascarpone on Chocolate Cherry Bread with Blackberry Cabernet Compote by Desserts Required
- Grilled Pimento Cheese Sandwich by Magnolia Days
- Honey Glazed Peach and Pork Tenderloin Grilled Cheese by Melanie Makes
- Kentucky Hot Brown Grilled Cheese by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Mediterranean Grilled Cheese by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Monte Cristo Grilled Cheese by The Dinner-Mom
- Mushroom Duxelles & Asparagus Grilled Cheese by Foxes Love Lemons
- Parmesan Crusted Baked Grilled Cheese by Alida’s Kitchen
- Roast Beef Horseradish Arugula Grilled Cheese by Shockingly Delicious
- Roasted Red Pepper, Feta, and Olive Grilled Cheese by Neighborfood