I’m so thrilled to be working with our friends at Gallo Family Vineyards again today. Rumor has it that there is a big sporting event coming up and we thought this would be the perfect opportunity to bust out our best big game recipes with wines to match.
I realize for some the words “wine” and “football” may not go together, but why shouldn’t they? Just because you are serving wings and chips and dips doesn’t mean a crisp white or spicy red won’t pair as nicely as beer. This is your chance to class up that party a bit. You put so much attention into the food, why not the drink too?
Right off the bat I knew I wanted to make a spicy, hard to resist one bite appetizer and spicy sausage rolls fit that bill perfectly. For starters can you really say no to something wrapped up in puff pastry? Secondly the sausage filling makes enough to cover two sheets of puff pastry or you can take half to make a second dish by turning them into sausage balls.
Now that the recipe was decided on, it was time to think about a wine pairing. To me spicy foods are complemented by a nice crisp dry white wine. The fruit and citrus notes really play off well from the fatty sausage and buttery puff pastry. While searching through all the Gallo Family Vineyards white wine offering, two stood out the most – their Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Grigio. Ultimately I went with the pinot grigio because it’s a nice dry wine with crisp notes of citrus and apple. Exactly the wine I was looking for and it helped cut all that spice.
For more information on Gallo Family Vineyards please visit them at their website and check out where you can buy Gallo Family wine with their store locator! You can also visit them on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Youtube.
Get your game day plan ready now. Take a look at these recipes by Sunday Supper contributors featuring Gallo Family Vineyards wine:
- Bacon Wrapped Maple Scallops by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Balsamic Glazed Cauliflower “Wings” by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Bean and Chorizo Dip by Foxes Love Lemons
- Beer Braised Szechuan Chicken Wings by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Blue Cheese Burger Bites by Country Girl In The Village
- Chipotle Quinoa Fritters by Healthy. Delicious.
- Cilantro Lime Marinated Shrimp by Ruffles & Truffles
- Game Day Pepperoni Pizza Dip by Family Foodie
- Game Day Pulled Pork Nachos by girlichef
- Goat Cheese, Bacon, and Pistachio Truffles by Chocolate Moosey
- Grilled Steak Sliders with Chimichurri Sauce by Hip Foodie Mom
- Honey Dijon Glazed Wings by The Foodie Army Wife
- Honey Ham Barbecue by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Hot Crab and Artichoke Dip by The Dinner-Mom
- Korean-style Clams by kimchi MOM
- Sparkling Pomegranate Pinot Punch by Magnolia Days
- Spicy Sausage Rolls by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Spinach Balls by Shocklingly Delicious
- Spinach Lasagna Cups by Alida’s Kitchen
- Sweet Potato Skins by The Wimpy Vegetarian
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? Click here: Sunday Supper Movement
Disclaimer: Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.