Ooooh boy, I have a fun surprise for someone reading out there today. Hey Stefanie – yeah you Stefanie from Sarcastic Cooking, my pug loving, bourbon swilling (but not right now), Halloween hating, bad TV (but really they are good shows) watching friend this is your virtual Baby Shower! Your sweet friend Stephie, has gathered a bunch of us together to celebrate you today and we have such an amazing, delicious menu planned that I don’t know if you’ll want to wait until that precious baby is born to get cooking!
I must confess, I was a little lost on what to make today. For you see, I’ve never been to a baby shower before! We Jews generally don’t do the shower thing, we can be a superstitious lot and always celebrate after the baby is born. Stephie had the genius idea of making something that we’d traditionally serve at a bris or baby naming but I don’t know how much any of you would like to see a plate of bagels and lox!
Then one day as I was reading Stefanie’s blog, she posted a recipe for homemade rye bread and went on about her love for it. That’s when it clicked, time to take something jewish (i.e. deli meat) and something Stefanie loves (rye bread) and have a little fun with it!
Hence the Waffle Iron Reuben was born! These are great for parties, you can prepare all the sandwiches ahead of time and then grill them up in your waffle iron right before you serve. Since your iron heats from above and below, they cook up quick, crisp and all the melty cheese ends up in the nooks and crannies from the impressions of the waffle iron. Cut those sandwiches into quarters and you are good to go!
- Stephie @ Eat Your Heart Out: Coconut and Vanilla Bean Canapés
- Kayle @ The Cooking Actress: Salted Caramel Ice Cream
- Steph @ Girl Versus Dough: Creamy Deviled Eggs with Red Onions, Capers, and Dill
- Julia @ A Cedar Spoon: Southwestern Sweet Potato Rounds
- Heidi @ FoodieCrush: Smoked Salmon Spread
- Susan @ Girl in the Little Red Kitchen: Waffle Iron Reuben Sandwiches
- Julia @ The Roasted Root: Spiced Apple Carrot Muffins