Pan fried and served up with crispy bacon, juicy tomatoes and crunchy lettuce this Soft Shell Crab BLT is a summertime must!
*This post was updated in May 2017
I am so behind on recipes to share with you it isn’t even funny. My life has been taken over by risotto and ice cream.
However, the risotto portion is done now, and I’m happy to say that I WON!!!! Thank you Marx Foods! I am truly humbled to be chosen as the Integrale champion, the competition was stiff, so I’m sure the decision was not an easy one.
Ice cream continues to reign in my life until July 8th. In the next two weeks,I’ll be making 2 gallons of ice cream and trying to figure out how to fit it into my tiny freezer. Good times, people, good times. I can’t complain though, I do volunteer myself for these things :-).
Despite, all the rice and ice cream I couldn’t let this recipe pass without sharing it with you. Soft shell crab season is a limited one, and I gorge myself on them as soon as it begins. I absolutely love this little crustacean jewel and this is my favorite way to prepare them.
Soft shell crabs are blue crabs that molt their shells. The skin is then soft enough to eat as is, and is best served sauteed, pan or deep fried. The season is relatively short, lasting only from May to July. If your crabs don't come already clean, you'll need the remove the gills and cut off the front of the crab with kitchen shears. I find the best directions are found here - http://bit.ly/i8cnjo.
- 4 slices thick cut bacon
- 2 soft shell crabs, cleaned
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper
- Vegetable oil
- 2 sandwich size English muffins or ciabatta bread
- 1 plum tomato, sliced
- Optional - sliced avocado
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a cast iron or heavy bottomed skillet, cook your bacon until crisp, remove and drain excess grease on paper towels. Save remaining bacon fat.
- Setting up traditional breading technique, season the flour with a bit of salt and pepper; whisk the egg and a bit of water to form a egg wash; and mix the panko, cornmeal and cayenne pepper together.
- Take the soft shell crabs one at a time, and dredge in the flour, shaking off the excess, dip in the egg wash and then in the breadcrumbs. Then repeat with the same crab in the egg and bread crumbs for a double coating. Repeat with remaining crab.
- On medium heat, pour enough bacon fat into the cast iron skillet equaling 4 tablespoons, if necessary add some vegetable oil.
- Fry the crabs about 5 minutes per side until cooked through and golden brown. Flip and and continue to cook another 5 minutes, add more vegetable oil if the pan looks a little dry.
- To make the sauce, in a small bowl mix the mayonnaise, sour cream and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper of necessary.
- To build your sandwich, toast your English muffins, slather some of the sauce on the bottom portion, lay a piece of lettuce down, then a few slices of tomatoes and avocado if using. Add your crab, and your bacon, breaking it in half to fit the size of the bread. Add a little more sauce to the top and cover and enjoy!
Wheeee! So much in this post!
Thank you for the award! Thank you for soft-shell crabs! And congrats for the win!
Thank you and you’re welcome! You deserve it! You beat me from sharing your award on facebook, but I’m still going to do it anyway. Everyone needs to know how fabulous you are!
Also, I never knew that about soft shell crab – now you are making me really want some. It looks delicious the way you prepared it!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! So glad you won.
Your soft shell crab looks delicious.
Thank you Norma!
Great site! I am loving it!! Will come back again. I am taking your feeds also
Congratulations on winning! Yayyy! and omg do i wish i could eat that sandwich…sounds AMAZING!
Thanks Jenn! Yeah, I guess you guys don’t get soft shells on the west coast huh? But you get dungeness crabs so it’s an even trade!
Pingback: “Thoroughly Modern Milkshakes” #Giveaway ~ And What’s Been Happenin’ in the Cocina! | Juanita's Cocina
Aw!! TY for the award, love 🙂
And more importantly: CONGRATULATIONS ON THE WIN!! woot!
Thank you Kayle and you’re welcome!
This is epic. I’ve never seen this before, but definitely one of the best things I’ve ever seen! 🙂
Thanks so much Renee, that is pretty much how I feel every time I make this 🙂