If you happen to remember, way back in the very beginning of October a group of bloggers and I got together to throw a virtual potluck for Christy Jordan of Southern Plate while she recovered from a horseback riding accident in July. The potluck was a wonderful success and Christy was incredibly touched and surprised by it all. Just a few days later, I was contacted by Christy’s publisher, turns out she had a new cookbook ready to be published later in October.
After spending time learning about Christy through the potluck I was thrilled to have the opportunity review and cook through her new book, Come Home to Supper.
Come Home to Supper is a book full of comfort recipes, there are over 200 casserole, skillet, sides and dessert recipes featured in the book. If you are a fan of southern home cooking, then this book is for you. The recipes are clear and easy to follow, a great gift for a beginner cook in the kitchen.
I felt like Christy did a great job of decadent recipes and more healthier fare such as these Chicken Lettuce Wraps. They grabbed my attention and I kept turning back to it. During this time of year where cookies, cakes and candy are in excess I try to balance it with healthy lunches and dinners. This meal cooked up quickly and was filling and delicious!
I did make a few personal changes to the recipe, which I noted below – mostly switching the chicken breast to thighs (that’s a personal preference), reducing the amount of sugar and adding carrots for a touch of crunch and color.
If you enjoyed this recipe and want more, I’ve got a copy of Christy’s book to giveaway after the recipe.
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup button mushrooms, finely diced
- 1 8oz can water chestnuts, drained and finely diced
- 3 scallions, finely chopped
- ½ package (3oz) rice sticks (or rice noodles)
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, washed and leaves separated
- Heat 3 tablespoon of the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until it is cooked through, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Place the soy sauce and brown sugar in a small bowl and stir to combined.
- Add the sauce to the skillet, along with the chicken, mushrooms, water chestnuts and scallions.
- Coat well and stir over medium heat until the mixture is heated through about 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Pour the remaining oil in a small saucepan and place over medium heat until hot.
- Break off a handful of rice sticks and drop them in the oil. Cook until they puff up, about 4-5 seconds and immediately remove with a slotted spoon to drain on a paper towel lined sheet. Repeat with remaining noodles.
- Set out the lettuce leaves in a single layer. Divide the chicken amongst the lettuce and top with some of the cooked rice sticks.
- Serve immediately.
- Mandatory Entry: Leave a comment with what is your favorite simple Southern meal to make at home?
- Many more ways to enter in the rafflecopter widget!
1 (one) lucky will win a copy of Come Home To Supper by Christy Jordan, who will be randomly chosen through Rafflecopter. This giveaway is open from Friday, December 6th through Thursday, December 12th 11:59pm EST to US residents only. 1 winner will be contacted by me via email and will have 48 hours to respond, at which time a new winner will be drawn. Good luck!
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links and I was provided a review copy of Come Home to Supper. All opinions are my own.