Now that #cookieweek is officially finished, I’m full on Thanksgiving mode and today thanks to a helpful little poll on my Facebook page over the weekend we are kicking things off with some savory cranberry biscuits. Fresh cranberries are flooding the stores right now and this is the perfect time to take advantage of them.
The first thought that comes to most peoples mind is of course cranberry sauce and I’m guessing the next would be scones or muffins with these little tart berries but why not go savory with them?
These biscuits come together in absolutely no time and in fact they are so easy, you could probably put the relative that can barely scramble eggs to make them. Truth be told, I was going for flaky, layered biscuits but in the end the batter ended up the texture of drop biscuits. You go with what it gives you right? I’m a yankee after all, did you really expect some amazing Southern-style biscuits?
While I still kneaded and folded my biscuits, dropping and baking these is a-okay by me.
Biscuits aren’t the only thing I’m offering up for you today. I have an awesome giveaway thanks to my friend Lauren at Keep It Sweet Desserts. I had the pleasure of meeting Lauren this summer at Eat, Write, Retreat and she is just sweet, fabulous and talented. Lauren was kind enough to hand out some of her cookies to attendees of the conference and I confess that I broke into mine as soon as I got up to my hotel room after check-in. Wow, let me tell you it isn’t easy to get that home baked taste when you are making that many cookies but Lauren does it. So if you haven’t guessed it already, you have that chance today to try some of her sweets! She is offering up one dozen sweets to one lucky winner and they can choose to keep them for themselves OR gift them to someone else! Keep reading after the recipe on how to enter.
- 2 cups all purpose flour, plus additional for dusting
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into ¼ inch pieces
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1¼ cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Heat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- Using a pastry cutter, two knives or your hands, mix the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal.
- Add the cranberries and sage and mix well.
- In a small bowl whisk together the buttermilk, egg and honey until combined and pour into the center of the dry ingredients. Mix well with a rubber spatula until there are no dry spots remaining.
- At this point you can drop the biscuits onto a parchment lined baking sheet or
- on a very well floured surface scoop the dough out and flour the top to pat into a rectangle about ½ inch thick. Using a bench scraper fold up the sides in thirds like a letter, rotate, pat the dough out again into a rectangle and fold into thirds one more time. Adding flour ass needed to keep the dough from sticking to your work surface.
- After the second fold and pat out, you can cut the biscuits into rounds with a biscuit cutter or with a sharp floured knife into squares.
- Transfer to your prepared baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Serve warm with butter.
- Store in an airtight container for about 3 days.
Now how about that giveaway? In case you aren’t familiar with them Keep It Sweets Desserts in an online bakery specializing in artisanal mail-order desserts that have a quality and taste that always exceed expectations. Their products range from Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies, to buttercream filled cookie sandwiches. They also offer a Cookie of the Month Club, gift baskets, seasonal gift options, special event catering (in the New York tri-state area), favors and corporate gifts.
How to Enter:
1. Leave a comment with which one dozen sweets you’d like to choose from Keep It Sweets website for either yourself or to send to someone else.
2. Many more ways to enter on the rafflecopter widget.
This giveaway is open to US residents from November 18, 2013 through November 25, 2013 11:59pm EST and will be picked from random draw. The winners will be notified via email and have 72 hours to respond, if not their prize is forfeited and another winner will be chosen.
Disclaimer: This giveaway is sponsored by Keep It Sweets Desserts. All opinions are my own.